Winter Warning - Tires Matter! - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #21
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybmwisallst0ck View Post
I live in the bay area - so dont really need winter tires, but i really love going to tahoe - even got those Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chains which are awesome for getting over the snowy pass.

You think if it's a crazy winter I should get winter front tires and use the chains on the back?
I think the best thing anyone can do in any snow or heavy rain conditions, to be safe and get to your destination, is to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the ride.
I drove UPS trucks in all kinds of weather, except snow, for 30 years. Most of the time "Pedal to the METAL". We had some pretty quick and god handling package cars and Econoline vans. Never had a bad weather accident because we were taught to feel out the road conditions FIRST and drive accordingly. Just got to know your limitations!
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
rsyed07

My Ride: E92 335is, E46 330i
I'm keeping my summer Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2s on all year round

But to contribute to this thread last year around this time I was living in NY and I was in preparation to move down to FL so I didn't bother buying winter tires for 2 weeks of winter driving. Luckily I only had to survive one snow storm. It got pretty slippery. Going uphill on a 20 degree incline was impossible unless the roads were cleared and salted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

330i ZSP | ZPP | ZCW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #23
Hammerdown

My Ride: 330i
Brand new set of General Alimax Arctics getting mounted on new wheels for the upcoming Wisconsin winter!
Hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #24
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Both E46s are on winter rubber and it makes all the difference. Don't take a chance with your safety, gents!

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #25
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
I'm keeping my summer Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2s on all year round
Yeah, I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you chimed in... I've only ever had Hi-Perf summers on my BMWs... even through our brutal SoCal winters
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 AM   #26
BiH55

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
mostly the idiots and their 4x4, if you have bad tires the awd doesn't help that much
BiH55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:54 AM   #27
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybmwisallst0ck View Post
I live in the bay area - so dont really need winter tires, but i really love going to tahoe - even got those Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chains which are awesome for getting over the snowy pass.

You think if it's a crazy winter I should get winter front tires and use the chains on the back?
K-Summits are the best for this. Been using them for 3 years along with the Goodyears asymmetric 2 tires..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161222_175148.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	648084

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161222_175201.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	648085

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #28
pgib8

My Ride: e46
winter tires sure help, so does front-wheel drive (etc.)
what's so much more important is driver experience. growing up in Pennsylvania I very quickly learned that snow voids pretty much all the driving rules/experience from a dry road.

the first time i wrecked my car was in the drive way, into my mom's car, and it was exactly 4 hours after i got my license. pulled in as usual but for the first time it had snowed. hit the brakes but the car just kept sliding, i tried to swerve but with my wheels locked up it just kept going straight into her car.
her car alarm is going off, steam coming out from my radiator, ... you get the picture lol.

that was a very valuable lesson.

many years later i received another lesson with my first rear-wheel drive car.
making a left turn at an intersection with wet roads, started to accelerate out of the turn and the rear spun out. i didn't know how to recover the car, this has never happened to me, so i just hit the brake to no avail and the car jumped over the median and ever-so-slightly clipped a land rover. it was pretty embarrassing too. for me that was the hard way to learn.

if you're new to the snow or rear-wheel drive cars, i recommend practicing in a very safe location first. getting a feel for the car under slippery conditions can go a long way!
pgib8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #29
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you chimed in... I've only ever had Hi-Perf summers on my BMWs... even through our brutal SoCal winters
We had a couple very cold nights before I mounted my winter set on (dry, down to 15F) and I was pretty surprised at how well my summer set with Pilot Super Sports held up.

That said, I am much more comfortable now that I'm rolling around on Blizzaks.

|
|
|
|
Old 12-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #30
Knight

Seasonal bump and friendly reminder to be ready for dangerous road conditions!

Both the SHO and 330 are getting new winter rubber this year. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s - SUV fitment for the Ford and standard fitment for the BMW.

https://www.nokiantires.com/hakkapeliitta-r3

|
|
|
|
Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #31
Bmsluite

My Ride: 2004 330i
I've got Perelli Sotttozero 3s. They're new. They're nice. Make to be as sticky as summer tires but in colder Temps. The tread is for snow and it works great

Sent from my VS988 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Bmsluite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #32
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
The xi has her winter shoes on already, General Ultimax Arctics new last winter, just haven't had much snow in this part of Wisconsin yet. 2 AWD vehicles and no place to play.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #33
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
The xi has her winter shoes on already, General Ultimax Arctics new last winter, just haven't had much snow in this part of Wisconsin yet. 2 AWD vehicles and no place to play.
Ready for winter.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171207_110919.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	763037Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_194619.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	763039Click image for larger version

Name:	20180910_135019.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	763041

Sent from my SM-G950U using E46Fanatics mobile app

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote