DIY: A / B / C Pillar Covers Replacement - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #41
richrdb

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
The black ones don't look too bad if you just remove the cloth. Then you can re-wrap another time when you have the 3M adhesive and some approved fabric.

richrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:16 AM   #42
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
A pillar reupholstering

see below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHAT AIRBAG.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	758729  

Last edited by jeng; 10-24-2018 at 03:54 AM. Reason: prudence?
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:52 AM   #43
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
A pillar reupholstering

The A pillars on the 2001 330ci were looking really bad - smudged, loose, really raggedy. I reupholstered them the other day.

The plastic on these pillars is pretty brittle - especially that little plastic "insert" that covers the 3 bolts that hold the pillar in place. This plastic piece is held together with tape on the underside - it's broken apart in multiple places.

I drilled three holes in this little piece and put it in place and then upholstered the WHOLE pillar (with the plastic insert in place) and then put the bolts through the plastic insert and the main pillar.

I thought I would get some gray covers for the bolt heads at a later date. My wife said, "But isn't that where the airbag gets deployed?" And I was like, "Crap. I didn't think about that."

After some thought I wondered if it doesn't matter that the plastic insert is under the bolt heads instead of over them as they usually are. I thought that with the plastic of the pillar being super brittle anyway, in the event of an airbag deployment, the force of the airbag would rupture the pillar anyway and the airbag would deploy.

That's what I was thinking. Any thoughts on this, E46 Fanatics community?

By the way, this is a modification that I did independently. Any persons doing the same modification as detailed in this post do so at their own risk. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHAT AIRBAG.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	758925  
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 AM   #44
ctlikon

My Ride: 2005 330Ci Coupe
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI ZHP
Transmission: ZF S6-37
Quote:
Any thoughts on this, E46 Fanatics community?
When it comes to safety, I never try to omit or change what the engineers did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"We at BMW do not build cars as consumer objects, just to drive from A to B. We build mobile works of art." Chris Bangle
ctlikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #45
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeng View Post
The A pillars on the 2001 330ci were looking really bad - smudged, loose, really raggedy. I reupholstered them the other day.

The plastic on these pillars is pretty brittle - especially that little plastic "insert" that covers the 3 bolts that hold the pillar in place. This plastic piece is held together with tape on the underside - it's broken apart in multiple places.

I drilled three holes in this little piece and put it in place and then upholstered the WHOLE pillar (with the plastic insert in place) and then put the bolts through the plastic insert and the main pillar.

I thought I would get some gray covers for the bolt heads at a later date. My wife said, "But isn't that where the airbag gets deployed?" And I was like, "Crap. I didn't think about that."

After some thought I wondered if it doesn't matter that the plastic insert is under the bolt heads instead of over them as they usually are. I thought that with the plastic of the pillar being super brittle anyway, in the event of an airbag deployment, the force of the airbag would rupture the pillar anyway and the airbag would deploy.

That's what I was thinking. Any thoughts on this, E46 Fanatics community?

By the way, this is a modification that I did independently. Any persons doing the same modification as detailed in this post do so at their own risk. Thank you.
You're good. The insert is just there to cover the bolt heads. Your pillar is still functionally the same, just with exposed hardware now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZHPizza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a pillar, b pillar, c pillar, felt, interior