fuel pump created knocking sound in engine 2001 BMW 330ci - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
rj_jy

My Ride: 2001 330ci
fuel pump created knocking sound in engine 2001 BMW 330ci

i have a 2001 BMW 330CI. So my car stopped running and needed a fuel pump. It was sitting for a few months till it was fixed. When i replaced the fuel pump it fired up right away and but now theres a ticking sound in the engine now. Can anyone tell me whats that from?!?
rj_jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #2
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
don't know if this is a similar situation. my wife's car (same as yours) sat for 4 months. when i finished fixing it up the car had a ticking sound also. after a few starts and drives the sound went away. new parts adjusting and getting fully seated (belts, etc.)? how does your car drive?
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
rj_jy

i haven't driven it yet. i let it run for a few minutes and i was scared to let it run longer. then i started it again reved it once or twice then let it sit. sam sound the hole time
but it wasn't long and i haven't driven it yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #4
rj_jy

and my ticking is by the spark plugs so I'm thinking maybe check them but idk if they would go loose or something for just sitting there for 2 months
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
These engines have hydraulic valve lifters. They bleed down over time. How long did you run the engine?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
rj_jy

5 minutes
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Yea, not thinking a replacement fuel pump is causing a knocking or ticking noise.

Back in the day fuel injected car with multiport fuel injection where all injectors were triggered at the same time you could and would get a fuel line knocking noise. Many of these cars had an rubber shock dampener in the fuel tank, after the fuel pump, often called a "pulsator" that would dampen the fuel line hammer or knocking. This was like a timed water hammer in the water lines in a house.

Sequential Fuel Injection for the most part cured this issue.

I would be looking the DISA and/.or consider valve lifters or and exhaust leak near the engine.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
These engines have hydraulic valve lifters. They bleed down over time. How long did you run the engine?
This is my thought as well...
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001, 330ci, e46, engine ticking, fuel pump