OMG I'm f@&ked - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Alex Pappas

My Ride: 1999 328i
OMG I'm [email protected]&ked

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I am the original owner of the car, got it back in 1998. I promised this car to my son when he was five and he turned 16 last week.

I have done a lot of great things to it but it is at its point in his life that it needs more service than it's worth. Take a look at the dealer service invoice and tell me what you would do. Sell it and buy a $5000 car or fix this one?

If you're wondering why I just don't take it to a mom-and-pop shop well, the answer is, that I did. I took it to one of the best in my area his computer diagnostics could only go so far, could not pinpoint the problem.

Sadly, the dealer did-

So.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2921_1503005488804.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	673489  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VMR 18 staggered 710, Eagle Eyes led smoked tails, smoked Depo corners and sides with amber led, dual bulb carrier for trunk lid lights, H&R sport cup kit, M3 trunk lid spoiler, AC Schnitzer roof spoiler, black out grilles, license plate delete, 03' 3 spoke sport wheel, m3 strut bar, shadowline trim, p46 head lights, LED amber 3000k Angel Eyes, custom painted engine covers, BSW speakers, AFE stage 1 CAI-oiled filter.
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
now take it to the local shop and get it done
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
You can DIY all of these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The leaking valve cover is the most critical of these, and you can do it at home. I forget the price of the gaskets, but I'm thinking 50 bucks, or so. The traction control is not a thing that you need to deal with, lots of kids learned to drive cars that do not have this feature. Smack him on the back of the head and tell him to drive as if he was carrying a fish bowl on the front seat, and he had better not spill so much as a single drop of water. The rear diff is something that may or may not need attention. My instinct is, not.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
kbsilver

My Ride: 2000 328i
You did not mention how many miles on the car. These are not easy to sell, as there are still a lot of them around (I know - I tried). Unless you can DIY most of the items it does present a costly problem.

An example I can give is the car I am working on right now, which I also purchased (factory ordered) new. My son drove it the last 6 years (essentially no maintenance except oil changes) and gave it back to me (no car needed when you move to NYC). At 215K miles no one will even look at it, but as the engine runs as good as the day I picked it up thus decided to overhaul for the next person in the family that may need a car (which could be my son again). The past week I did the following:
  • Valve Cover Gaskets
  • Spark Plugs
  • Water Pump
  • Radiator Hoses
  • Coolant Flush
  • Replace all Power steering hoses and tank
  • Replace Oil filter housing gasket
  • Replace vanos oil feed line
  • Tensioner Pulley (was noisy when spun)
  • New (Rebuilt) Alternator (checking the brushes it was going to fail within 10K miles)
  • New belts
Grand total was just over $500.

I tackled the sagging headliner last month. It's not done, this is just all the under hood stuff. Still needs shocks. Oh yea and then there is the clutch which is still the original. Not that expensive in parts, but without a lift I cannot do this myself.

I paid less than $23 for the valve cover gasket and the 15 rubber sealing washers.

The ASC/ABS units can be rebuilt or exchanged for a rebuilt allowing you to do it yourself.

Last edited by kbsilver; 08-18-2017 at 03:58 PM.
kbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Father n Son project.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Rob43 Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
Father n Son project.
BINGO!

I suggest having whomever deal with anything that needs specialty tools. From what I can see there, that's only the ASC module, and if your son is good with computers, with a small investment, he may be able to handle that.

If I were in your situation, I'd look at it this way. The kid doesn't need a car right this minute does he? If not, I'd make a deal with him: I'll buy the parts and I'll match your labor, hour for hour (except the hours you're at work - hey that pays for the parts). He'll learn something (perhaps both of you) and it's an opportunity to be close.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #8
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
I would just do the valve cover gasket and maybe find a shop that could do the module for cheaper. Top the diff up and power steering fluid as well, but I wouldn't waste time replacing either. Most kids that post about their first e46 on here end up wrecking a few months later anyway.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
If you own an E46 and you're not DIYing EVERYTHING, then you're doing it wrong or you have more money than sense. You could do all that yourself for a few hundred.

Last edited by WDE46; 08-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
venerated

My Ride: F22 M235i
Valve cover gasket is like $70 worth of parts and an hour tops job:
Is your rear differential leaking badly? Is there a puddle under the car? If there isn't, I wouldn't worry about it. It's an old car, it has leaks.

You have to remember a dealership is trying to get every penny out of you. If my car needed these things done, I wouldn't even bat an eye, these aren't major issues.

/
/

2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
domza2

My Ride: BMW e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
If you own an E46 and you're not DIYing EVERYTHING, then you're doing it wrong or you have more money than sense. You could do all that yourself for a few hundred.
Exactly

Sent from my E6653 using E46Fanatics mobile app
domza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Devil's Advocate - Dealer replacing a module does not always equal Dealer fixing the issue. If you were to jump on this, make sure you have an understanding with the dealer, verbal or otherwise that whatever the problem is will be remedied. Thats a ridiculous amount of $$$ to throw if they're just seeing what sticks approach.

That said, with this much money at stake I would invest in a reader like PA Soft (so you can read all modules) first and see what the issue is. It could be a much cheaper fix.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
Silverdogz

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '04 330i
Year: 2004
Model: BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual 6spd
These are all pretty fixes that you can do yourself. The hardest thing would be the diff and that's usually not to bad since it's pretty easy to drop the diff. If the car is a manual it would also be a good time to do the shifter bushings as well.

Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #14
micky99

My Ride: '06 330CiC 6MT
If this is the most service the car needed, you have a great vehicle sir.
micky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #15
MFNATIK

My Ride: 2005 M3 Vert
ASC-T module can be repaired I think. Google it.

Sent from my Samsung S8
MFNATIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #16
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
ASC-T module can be repaired I think. Google
Correct, for about $100. And if it cannot, a good used one can be coded for the car.

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #17
MFNATIK

My Ride: 2005 M3 Vert
Dealer prices are often great exaggerated for out of warranty repairs. Take it with a grain of salt. For example, I had a PPI that said I needed a new transmission at a total cost of 12k. The car was listed for 11k. I called bullshit since my buddy is a tech and said these manual trans rarely go bad and weeping is normal. Turns out they were full of ****. There was no leak or issue and it shifts fine. Changed the oil and it works perfectly now. Get and 2nd opinion if you can.

Sent from my Samsung S8

Last edited by MFNATIK; 08-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.
MFNATIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:28 AM   #18
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
money + tools + EDUCATION + TIME = successful DIY. Education & time are the most critical factors, I think. Are you in a hurry? If yes, you might run into problems. If no, then why not do it yourself? It will be an adventure for you, that's for sure. And that's a healthy thing for any person.
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Your son should be learning to work on cars. Tell him to sign up for e46f and start reading. Get him a set of tools. Prep him for life.

As said, these jobs are easy. The dsc thing, well, scan the fault and find out the exact sensor that failed. It's probably like 10 dollars on ebay. swap it out, and pay someone on the forums to reprogram it to the car.

or sell the car and use it as a downpayment on a new civic lease.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #20
allikanbe

My Ride: 2013 335is vert
On one hand, I can see that the valve cover gasket could teach your son a few things about cars. Do it and forget the rest. On the other hand, how much longer is this car going to last and how much time do you want to devote to teaching your son about the car?
Dump it and get a honda civic for him. My guess is there will be more BMW issues in the near future.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote