What Grille looks better!? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
DMartBossman

My Ride: 2003 E46 330i
What Grille looks better!?

Hey Everyone!
Need some help deciding which grille to stick with....

Chrome

Chrome outer with black center

Matte Black

**Photoshoped In**
DMartBossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #2
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I think I prefer the chrome with black center. Middle photo. I'm eventually going to have to replace these parts too.
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: ZF 5AT
Depends what kind of look you want to go for - personally, I prefer either the full black, or chrome-outer with black-inners look. I plasti-dipped mine black; I think they look great on Steel Grey. I've seen cars that look great with the chrome though, too. Always thought one of my friend's Sparkling Graphite ZHP looked great with chromes, but he recently switched to full black as well (plasti-dip)

IMO, full black looks better if you've got the matte-shadowline trim to accompany it along with the headlight shrouds. Btw, nice halos. Looks like the Khoalty ones, same on my car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 BMW 330Ci 5AT
Quote:
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 08-16-2017 at 05:06 AM.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #4
DMartBossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Depends what kind of look you want to go for - personally, I prefer either the full black, or chrome-outer with black-inners look. I plasti-dipped mine black; I think they look great on Steel Grey. I've seen cars that look great with the chrome though, too. Always thought one of my friend's Sparkling Graphite ZHP looked great with chromes, but he recently switched to full black as well (plasti-dip)

IMO, full black looks better if you've got the matte-shadowline trim to accompany it along with the headlight shrouds. Btw, nice halos. Looks like the Khoalty ones, same on my car.
Thank you for your feedback. TBH the look I am going with is mostly having it as sleek & authentic but still having that aggressive look, you know what i mean. I agree with you on the Chrome & Black-Inner. So far, My outer trim is still Chrome but sooner or later I am planning on getting it gloss black.

You are right about the Halos. They are Khaoltys and they are amazing. People under estimate them a lot and go with cheaper AE or they don't even look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeng View Post
I think I prefer the chrome with black center. Middle photo. I'm eventually going to have to replace these parts too.

Thank you man for your feedback!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #5
DMartBossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post

Also this is how my car looks like

Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #6
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Middle pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hamsocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #7
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartBossman View Post

Looks super clean man - I dig it. Honestly, if you're thinking about going gloss black for window trim, consider gloss black kidneys as an option. I've seen it on blue before, and it looks fantastic. To me, it's all about trying to make it match as much as possible; that's what looks best, when it all flows.

And yeah, the halos are great. Wish I would've opted for Orion V4's, but for $130 with a 2 year warranty, you can't beat the Khoalty AE's. Great kit, awesome price, easy install. Oh yeah, and nice CSL wheels too! Can't wait to get a hold of some Apex ARC-8's one of these days.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

2002 BMW 330Ci 5AT
Quote:
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
hodgkinsc330ci

Another option in the mix - paint matched-outers with black inners. Not my pic, but gives you an idea of that with the gloss-black shadowline setup:

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

2002 BMW 330Ci 5AT
Quote:
Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
Full chrome

BTW, what angel eyes do you have?

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 08-16-2017 at 06:59 AM.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
joeybananaz18

My Ride: Oxford Green ZHP
when I had my e92 I made my gloss black grills look like the 335is style- gloss black outers and chrome inners.
joeybananaz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Black is played out. Full OEM chrome just like new BMWs.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
My sig shows painted frames, black grilles

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
BTW, what angel eyes do you have?
Earlier, he mentioned Khoalty.
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Earlier, he mentioned Khoalty.
Missed that, thanks

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Chrome, absolutely. I think it goes great with topaz blue, mystic blue, orient blue, etc.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Chrome, absolutely. I think it goes great with topaz blue, mystic blue, orient blue, etc.
^Yep; needs some contrast. No matte black or body-colored.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Middle pic.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 Z125 PRO
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica

Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartBossman View Post

I would go pro stock BMW and remove *ALL* stickers and tint. And that front bracket. (gotta buy the strip)

Fun place to shoot. Here's a casual snap in that same spot I did years ago. Spot is played out but still fun

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11357158_10155718610860074_3965407888862325943_o.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	673017  

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #19
Hobohunter

My Ride: Mustang GT
Year: 2016
Transmission: Manual
I would stick with chrome on your car. I don't like chrome as it tends to look cheap, but going black or paint matched on a darker car will prevent your grills from sticking out visually. I think lighter cars look good with black grills, but darker cars don't. I've never understood the appeal of "murdering out" a car, as it now has no distinct features.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #20
B694515

My Ride: 325i
Matte black. I have the BMW Performance Glossy Black and I have received so many compliments. People say it looks aggressive. My car is Alpine white so the contrast is very striking.
B694515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, grille, sedan