Tool Set - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
tritron

My Ride: 325i
Tool Set

Can someone recommend mechanic tools set that I can use to remove engine from my car.
tritron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Floor jack
Jackstands
Engine hoist
Engine stand
Assortment of Phillips, flathead and Torx screwdrivers
Metric 3/8" 6-point socket set and driver
Metric 1/2" 6-point socket set and 18" breaker bar
Various driver extensions
Set of metric external and internal star bit sockets
Set of metric ratcheting box-end wrenches
Several cans of PB Blaster
Bentley manual
Plastic bags and Sharpie for labeling fasteners/minor parts as you remove them
Notebook and pencil to record removal sequence
Work gloves

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL

Last edited by Spannerhead; 11-18-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i, '99 328is
If you dont already have a fully stocked tool chest then Im gonna go out on a limb and say youre not ready for complete engine removal/installation.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Full front end refresh with LCAs and bushings, struts and mounts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
tritron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
If you dont already have a fully stocked tool chest then Im gonna go out on a limb and say youre not ready for complete engine removal/installation.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
I have one but I want portable set of tools to take to junk yard see if I can find replacement engine there.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i, '99 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritron View Post
I have one but I want portable set of tools to take to junk yard see if I can find replacement engine there.

Oh ok...my bad...sorry!

In that case Id say load up pretty much everything you got...better to have too much than find yourself needing something you left at home.

Maybe throw in a cordless impact with a couple fully charged batteries? A couple pry bars?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Full front end refresh with LCAs and bushings, struts and mounts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritron View Post
No yard I've ever been to would allow you to remove an engine yourself. The liability would be through the roof. Besides, pretty much every yard I've been to removes any engine and transmission of value before anything else.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
No yard I've ever been to would allow you to remove an engine yourself. The liability would be through the roof. Besides, pretty much every yard I've been to removes any engine and transmission of value before anything else.
No kidding. Not to mention how long it takes---no you-pull-it I've been to would want me hanging out in the yard all day. And then there's the matter of getting it home: Most yards are gravel, and how are you going to tote an engine across that on a hoist or engine stand?

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
tritron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
No kidding. Not to mention how long it takes---no you-pull-it I've been to would want me hanging out in the yard all day. And then there's the matter of getting it home: Most yards are gravel, and how are you going to tote an engine across that on a hoist or engine stand?
This yard let pull your own engine http://www.littletonupull.com/YardInfo.aspx I can place it on back of home depot truck and take home. How long does it take to unbolt engine mounts and transmission and pull it out ?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #9
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
http://www.picknpull.com/check_inven...LocationID=136

All the time. They even have gantry chainfalls to aid you (!!!!)

I've done it a few times. But I usually break the engine down partially first,
load it into their wheelbarrow, then reassemble (the 'complete engine' is cheaper than the parts)

It can be done in a focussed afternoon. It helps that they cut the exhausts off.

t
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
I would recommend a powered reciprocating saw to cut down on time if they allow those. Some yards won't allow it.

For sure lithium powered impact guns and electric ratchets, again to cut down on time.

I would cut all the wiring to save time as well.

If they don't allow the saw, maybe try sneaking one in and see if they notice.

For sure e torx sockets, a multitude of extensions, short, long, very long.

Wrenches to remove hydraulic clutch lines if manual, if auto, then not needed. For sure need a jack of some sort to lift engine to get to exhaust manifold bolts easier and motor mount bolts.

Maybe look at a diy guide on removing engine.

Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.

NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote