Problems with OBD-port, Carly, INPA - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
ToDi

My Ride: e46 320i Touring
Problems with OBD-port, Carly, INPA

First of I like to say hello to everyone, I am new here and just bought myself an e46 again. Don't know what it is but I love these cars.

Now, I have troubles to diagnose my car. I am new to it and will tell my story here for you.

I bought a cheap Bluetooth adapter to try and see if I could find any fault codes with Torque Pro.
- This turned out to "work", cant confirm it but according to app it read ECU and no codes where found.

Now this isen't enough for me. I would like to see more and code other things in the car.

So a few google searches later I found Carly. Got the adapters also the round one for so I can read e36 and Z3.
After trying cables on e36 it all worked and it read ECU. Cant confirm more then that cause it was freezing outside and I diden't have time to test it further but it won't read my e46 for some reason. App says connection to cable is fine but app won't connect to the cars ECU. I have tried every kind of settings combo to my e46 and it still don't connect.
I even tried to get help from Carly but as many other know.... they don't care.

Then I managed to get a hold of a cheap laptop to run INPA etc. So I got everything running software side and wanted to try to use Carlys OBD cable with INPA but that dosen't work. (Yes I got a INPA cable on the way.) So lets see if there is any change when cable arrives.

I've also checked my fuses. All is good. Got the correct fuses in port 30 and 43.
I also checked pins in OBD-port. All is good there to.
I even measured the power in OBD-port. Slot 1 and slot 16 both has 12V.

Now I would like to start a discussion around my problem why I can't read my car with Carly app and what problems have you guys had in the past with various software like Carly, INPA.
Maybe you even have had troubles with the OBD-port?

Worth to mention is that I have a Dynavin stereo in the car, can that device interfere with OBD reading?

The car: e46 320i Touring 2002

Sorry for long post.

Last edited by ToDi; 11-19-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Better title to adress problem
ToDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
What year is this car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
ToDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
What year is this car
Its a 2002 320i Touring. Altho is made 2001 10th October.

Maybe I should have stated this in my post before. I will put it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

What country are you in

Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

I guess that doesn't really matter. Anyways, this is my assumption. The 2002 320i was sold in Europe and Canada with the eu2 emission dme software it seems.

My guess is there would be no reading the check engine light because that was practically non existent for that model.

One way to check is with the car off, turn the key to position 2, the one right before you engage the starter motor. With dash lights on, do you see the service engine soon light stay lit? I'm sure the EML might be, but I'm more looking for the service engine soon light. If it doesn't, then that explains why. It practically could be misfiring and I don't even think the service engine light would come on.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
ToDi

Thank you for your reply.

The car is made in Germany for the Swedish market.
I'm adding some pictures to better see the dashboard but it is raining a lot today so they got a bit blurry. Also adding pictures I took on my OBD socket if that can make some more sense.

https://imgur.com/sdCpt02
https://imgur.com/8xZkDPZ
*note: the pins look bended and one ground pin is bended but my adapters still plug into it correctly. Already double checked.
https://imgur.com/YSRUIOr

Last edited by ToDi; 11-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46,e90,e92,e83
Forget Carly https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=carly&page=2

Get INPA working and/or PA Soft for diagnosis (see links in the same thread if you need SW)

I have a 2002 320i I use for parts. I've not had any probs taliking to it via PA Soft or BMW Standard Tools (EDIABAS) I think the problem is your cable. BTW the CEL light and most comms operates exactly the same as my prior 2001 325cic, my 2003 330, my old 04 330xi and the other 2003 325xi I have.

BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
ToDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Forget Carly https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=carly&page=2

Get INPA working and/or PA Soft for diagnosis (see links in the same thread if you need SW)

I have a 2002 320i I use for parts. I've not had any probs taliking to it via PA Soft or BMW Standard Tools (EDIABAS) I think the problem is your cable. BTW the CEL light and most comms operates exactly the same as my prior 2001 325cic, my 2003 330, my old 04 330xi and the other 2003 325xi I have.
I hear you. I will not put any more effort into Carly. Maybe I can use that if I ever get a newer model of BMW.

Still waiting for my cable but I have INPA, WINKFP and NCSEXPERT. What more do I need or are there anything else you recommend?

I will ofc google around but I am totally new to this software so could use some help.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToDi View Post
I hear you. I will not put any more effort into Carly. Maybe I can use that if I ever get a newer model of BMW.

Still waiting for my cable but I have INPA, WINKFP and NCSEXPERT. What more do I need or are there anything else you recommend?

I will ofc google around but I am totally new to this software so could use some help.
Check my signature for the software
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #10
ToDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Check my signature for the software
I have already watched your vid and done all steps. Funny you would write on my post.

I cant show my gratitude enough! Thank you for having that available.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 AM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

Oh.... I learn something new everyday. Who would have known.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
armenh7

Quote:
I have already watched your vid and done all steps. Funny you would write on my post.

I cant show my gratitude enough! Thank you for having that available.
I'm glad I could help .

Do you have an android or iPhone?

Last edited by armenh7; 11-20-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
ToDi

Quote:
I'm glad I could help .

Do you have an android or iPhone?
I use and have android.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
armenh7

Quote:
I use and have android.
If you want something like inpa on your phone, I have found an app similar to it.
It is a bit complicated but here it is
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.bmw_deep_obd
Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
BMW-North

Quote:
If you want something like inpa on your phone, I have found an app similar to it.
You can verify this works? I'm not too convinced by the authors statement:

"Theoretically all operations that are possible with INPA or Tool32, could be also executed with this application."

Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
You can verify this works? I'm not too convinced by the authors statement:

"Theoretically all operations that are possible with INPA or Tool32, could be also executed with this application."
I haven't tried messing around with it too much. I only spent an hour messing with it. I know that it has inpa functions. I haven't tried anything else
Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
ToDi

Quote:
Ty for that, I tried to get that one up and running but I can't get it to work. :/ Haven't put much effort into it maybe that's why.
Are you using that app with a bluetooth obd scanner? I got an Elm327 laying around.

I've been in contact with Carly several times about my issue and all I get is wierd and answers that dosen't lead to anything.
So I sat down, wrote a HUGE mail with all details, pictures, things I tried, followed their guides etc etc etc.

This is their response:
"Hello Xxxxx,

wow! Thank you very much for this very detailed E-Mail!

So I understand. Can you do following on your E46?

I would ask you to send me a session log after the connection. Even if the connection could not be completed entirely, it is possible to send a log.
To give you a quick feedback, it is important that you describe your problem with the inquiry.
We receive hourly inquiries with logs and it makes a fast processing enormously difficult if we get no corresponding information supplied.
Under the following link, we explain to you how you can send us the session log: http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...-i-send-a-log/

I just did all that and have sent them that information before also....

My experience? Stay away from Carly....

Last edited by ToDi; 11-20-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
armenh7

Quote:
Ty for that, I tried to get that one up and running but I can't get it to work. :/ Haven't put much effort into it maybe that's why.
Are you using that app with a bluetooth obd scanner? I got an Elm327 laying around.

I've been in contact with Carly several times about my issue and all I get is wierd and answers that dosen't lead to anything.
So I sat down, wrote a HUGE mail with all details, pictures, things I tried, followed their guides etc etc etc.

This is their response:
"Hello Xxxxx,

wow! Thank you very much for this very detailed E-Mail!

So I understand. Can you do following on your E46?

I would ask you to send me a session log after the connection. Even if the connection could not be completed entirely, it is possible to send a log.
To give you a quick feedback, it is important that you describe your problem with the inquiry.
We receive hourly inquiries with logs and it makes a fast processing enormously difficult if we get no corresponding information supplied.
Under the following link, we explain to you how you can send us the session log: http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...-i-send-a-log/

I just did all that and have sent them that information before also....

My experience? Stay away from Carly....
I have only tried it with an otg to USB cable. When it asks to update the ecu files, choose to do it manually
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #19
ToDi

**Update**

So I just got my INPA cable and just wanted to share to you all that everything works fine and I can finally read my car.

Conclusion:
Nothing is wrong with my car and it can be read through OBD without any problems.

Stay away from Carly, their stuff dont work for some E46.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
BMW-North

Quote:
**Update**

So I just got my INPA cable and just wanted to share to you all that everything works fine and I can finally read my car.

Conclusion:
Nothing is wrong with my car and it can be read through OBD without any problems.

Stay away from Carly, their stuff dont work for some E46.