Need some help diagnosing - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
LittleRed

My Ride: 2001 320i
Year: 2001
Model: 320i
Transmission: Auto
Need some help diagnosing

I'm a new addition to BMW ownership after having acquired a 2001 320i a few weeks ago. I knew it had some problems when I bought it as I did an OBD scan, which showed a P0340. Did some research and decided it was easy enough to tackle. It is also in really, really good condition, has obviously been loved for most of it's life and was also really cheap (got it at an auction).

The car has practically no power. It is drivable, but the acceleration is terrible, especially on up-hills. You can feel some power come in from about 3k rpm, but the engine starts making a disturbing rattle the higher you go, more so when less power is being applied. It will also stall on take off if you just put your foot down, especially with the air con on.

The first thing I did was to order a replacement intake cam sensor. I installed it and cleared the code, but it returned instantly. Tried a couple of times to no avail.
At the same time, I got hold of a rebuilt VANOS to eliminate the possibility of the power problem being from that, as well as the engine rattle. I installed the rebuilt unit, and it has made a difference, but not much. The engine still rattles at high revs.

Next, I replaced the exhaust cam sensor, having read that sometimes you need to replace both. Still no change.

I then refurbished the DISA with one of those billet aluminium kits. This also showed a minor improvement, but still not anywhere near to where it should be.

I checked the intake system for vacuum leaks. Found a small leak in the upper CCV pipe where it goes into the rocker cover. Plugged it up with some silicon. There is also a minor leak somewhere under the intake manifold, but I can't tell exactly where.

I don't think the leak under the intake is significant enough to cause such drastic loss of power. Given that the P0340 code remains, I have to assume that the ECU is in limp mode, and that until I can resolve that, there is no point in spending a lot of effort on minor possibilities. I should also mention that no warning lights appear on the dash, so the OBD is all I have to go on.

I have read somewhere that sometimes you have to replace the crank angle sensor too. This does kind of make sense as the three sensors are somewhat related. I have ordered a replacement, but am I barking up the wrong tree? It is starting to get more expensive than I had hoped, as I also have to replace the upper coolant hose and will most likely have to replace the CCV pipes too, and who knows what else the future holds.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great car. really nice to drive and very comfortable. I'd just like it to work the way it's supposed to.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Zyaltr

My Ride: 03-330cic,14-535 IX
Change both sensors...
Zyaltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
LittleRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyaltr View Post
Change both sensors...
I did, it's the crank angle sensor I'm asking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
I think it is unlikely.

The problem is with the circuit, and presuming the sensors are not defective, the next step is to follow the wiring to th ECU and inspect for compromised pins, oil intrusion, or other obvious physical damage. It is not unheard of.

After that you should inspect the timing chain and tensioner. A loose chain can cause that code.
Archbid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 AM   #5
Anticdubai

What's mileage? MAF sensor could cause poor performance, and without error codes, as it still works but incorrectly. But before you replace anything else, check the condition of catalyzers. They could be completely clogged but yet not giving bad signal to post cat O sensors. Remove pre-cat O sensors and use endoscope.
Anticdubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

I would check electrical continuity between each sensor's connector and their corresponding pins on the DME connectors in the e-box.

This video shows how to easily test a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 11-07-2019 at 12:25 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 AM   #7
LittleRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
I think it is unlikely.

The problem is with the circuit, and presuming the sensors are not defective, the next step is to follow the wiring to th ECU and inspect for compromised pins, oil intrusion, or other obvious physical damage. It is not unheard of.

After that you should inspect the timing chain and tensioner. A loose chain can cause that code.
Good point, that makes sense. I check and trace the wiring back to the ECU.

There is also a possibility of the timing chain tensioner being a problem. I understand that they are both sprung and hydraulic. If this is the case, I did find a fair amount of sludge around the cams when I took the rocker cover off, suggesting that it has either had infrequent oil changes and/or has ventilation problems. Either way, this does present the possibility that there may be blockages in the oil channels that feed the tensioner. I will be running a few engine flushes through over the next oil changes, which I am going to do every 300-400kms. Hopefully it will help, as I do not really want to have to remove and clean everything. I did inspect the chain when the VANOS was off though, and it seems pretty tight.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #8
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Good point, that makes sense. I check and trace the wiring back to the ECU.

There is also a possibility of the timing chain tensioner being a problem. I understand that they are both sprung and hydraulic. If this is the case, I did find a fair amount of sludge around the cams when I took the rocker cover off, suggesting that it has either had infrequent oil changes and/or has ventilation problems. Either way, this does present the possibility that there may be blockages in the oil channels that feed the tensioner. I will be running a few engine flushes through over the next oil changes, which I am going to do every 300-400kms. Hopefully it will help, as I do not really want to have to remove and clean everything. I did inspect the chain when the VANOS was off though, and it seems pretty tight.
You don't seem to be concerned about your fuel/air mix. Probably the most common cause of poor performance. What are your fuel trims like?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
LittleRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticdubai View Post
What's mileage? MAF sensor could cause poor performance, and without error codes, as it still works but incorrectly. But before you replace anything else, check the condition of catalyzers. They could be completely clogged but yet not giving bad signal to post cat O sensors. Remove pre-cat O sensors and use endoscope.
I completely forgot to mention the mileage. She's done 215,000kms (134,000miles).

I believe the MAF sensor is OK. How would I test it?

The catalyzers are an interesting thing though. I checked the voltages of all four O2 sensors while driving, and the pre-cat sensors seem to function as expected. The post-cat sensors though, show absolutely no movement. Both sit at a dead steady 0.44V, regardless of what the engine is doing. Here's a screenshot from Torque:

I'm fairly sure that the post-cat should show at least some variation.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:27 AM   #10
LittleRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

I would check electrical continuity between each sensor's connector and their corresponding pins on the DME connectors in the e-box.

This video shows how to easily test a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.

Thanks for that video. I'll check both the old and the new sensors when I get a chance.

I'll also trace the wiring back to the ECU and make sure the contacts are good and there is no resistance or shorts.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:41 AM   #11
AusM325I

What brand cam sensors did you buy and install?
AusM325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #12
LittleRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusM325I View Post
What brand cam sensors did you buy and install?
The sensors I have are made by VEMO, which I believe is an OEM manufacturer.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
At 134k you should have replaced the precat sensors by now if they are original. MAF is likely fine for 150-175k and is very hard to test.
Archbid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
Fix your air leaks, as mentioned above and 'maybe' missed by others. Don't dismiss them because they're small.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:33 AM   #15
LittleRed

So, given that both post-cat oxygen sensors are not functional, I must assume that this is the primary cause of my problem. There are most likely other issues that are contributing to the problem, like vacuum leaks etc., but I don't think there is any point struggling with the little things until the obvious has been resolved.

Does anyone know if there is a supplier of the Bosch sensors in Australia that doesn't charge the earth? Or should I just get them from the US or UK?

Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 AM   #16
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a supplier of the Bosch sensors in Australia that doesn't charge the earth? Or should I just get them from the US or UK?
Post this question in the Oz forum. Someone there will know.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:39 AM   #17
Anticdubai

Need some help diagnosing

Quote:
So, given that both post-cat oxygen sensors are not functional, I must assume that this is the primary cause of my problem. There are most likely other issues that are contributing to the problem, like vacuum leaks etc., but I don't think there is any point struggling with the little things until the obvious has been resolved.

Post-cut sensors have nothing to do with engine performance and all they do is monitoring work of cats. You can have catalyzers badly clogged but yet doing their job burning exhaust gases so no any codes will come from your post cat sensors.
Most mechanics underestimate condition of cats, and if no one point you on them doesnít mean they are healthy. Driving with bad coil, as example, can melt your cat within couple of hundred km; bad valve stem seals load your cats with unburned oil- thatís how you get your cats clogged/ melted. Endoscope will
Clearly shows cats condition and thatís pretty much only way to check it, unless you get a manometer and see how bad gas flow is.
MAF diagnostic isnít easy thing too, as it might show you reasonable numbers, and no codes, but if you you have a chance to get any working one to swap, you might find huge difference.
Pre-cat O-sensors is different story; yet they can last way more then 100k, so it there No codes from them they are probably not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by Anticdubai; 11-09-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Anticdubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #18
LittleRed

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you say about the cats being clogged, but I would think that it would represent a uniform reduction in performance through the rev range, probably more so in the higher ranges as the clogging would restrict the flow of exhaust gases. My problem is mostly on the lower rev range. When you first start the car in the morning, it will not accelerate at all past 8-12mph if you don't put your foot flat. It does this only for the first 30-60sec before improving, which it does over the next couple of minutes while the engine warms up.

However, even once the engine is at running temp, acceleration is woefully inadequate until you go past 3000rpm, especially if going uphill or if the aircon is on. There is just barely enough power to get you moving. It's for this reason that I think it's more likely to be related to fuel mixture and/or timing, but please feel free to correct me if I am misguided.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
AusM325I

Unplug the Maf and take it for a drive. If the MAF is good it should drive similar.
I get most of my parts from FCP euro. Great service and quality parts at reasonable prices.
Does the engine rattle sound metallic or plastic?

Last edited by AusM325I; 11-11-2019 at 02:20 AM.
AusM325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
Vegaslightsss

My Ride: 325i sulev
To me it sounds like a wiring issue so checking the circuits from the camshaft position sensor to the ecm is what needs to happen. Also with the valve cover off you can pull/tug on the chain and any excessive slack will be noticeable. However you dont hear about failed chains/guides on these motors mainly because people overheat them and blow the headgasket first im guessing. As for your rattle have you tried unplugging your disa valve and going for a drive to see if the rattle is gone? This wont affect your code but may be the source of your rattle and is fairly commom failure.Typically they make noise over 2500 rpms. When you you unplug it the noise goes away most of the time. Also do you have long crank issues? A missing or intermitent cam signal will cause long cranks before starting

Last edited by Vegaslightsss; 11-10-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Vegaslightsss is offline   Reply With Quote