steering servo - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
somebod1

My Ride: BMW
steering servo

When i take a turn the steering wheel doesn't straighten out, the wheel kinds take left or right depending on which side you take a pothole, What could be? steering pump?
somebod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Edgarrr619

Have you check the steering fluid. Is the wheel stiff or normal.?
Edgarrr619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Sounds to me more like an issue with the steering geometry itself. Power steering doesn't straighten the wheels; their alignment does.

Have you hit anything recently? Replaced any suspension parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
somebod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarrr619 View Post
Have you check the steering fluid. Is the wheel stiff or normal.?
There is enough fluid, I opened up and it's full , the steering it's medium when you take a turn the wheel won't turn back to a straight position, you have to straighten it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Sounds to me more like an issue with the steering geometry itself. Power steering doesn't straighten the wheels; their alignment does.

Have you hit anything recently? Replaced any suspension parts?
The control arms were replaced by the previous owner, I own the car 3-4 weeks, i think it was alignment because when you cruising the car won't pull left or right

Last edited by somebod1; 11-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebod1 View Post
The control arms were replaced by the previous owner, I own the car 3-4 weeks, i think it was alignment because when you cruising the car won't pull left or right
Toe might be in check, but there’s still camber, caster and thrust angle. I agree that your issue points to the suspension geometry, ie get a quality alignment.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #6
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
You need to get an alignment. The only time that ever happened to me was after rack or tie rod replacements before getting it aligned. Owner probably fixed it and dumped it

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
somebod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
You need to get an alignment. The only time that ever happened to me was after rack or tie rod replacements before getting it aligned. Owner probably fixed it and dumped it
gotta ask him cuz we know each other
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
somebod1

He aligned the car, i found out that the servo pump is working and the only problem could be is the steering rack . I changed the engine mounts , while i was under there this is how it looked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4445.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	789031  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
MrMCar

My Ride: M-3 R1150 MCoupe
Before I started tossing parts ($$$) at the car, I'd be checking a few things. Safely jack & support the front with 2 jack stands. Get under the front & remove the splash shield. Turn the wheels full lock left & right by grabbing the tires.

Any binding of the tie rod ends, ball joints and/or strut mounts? Should move freely with only the restriction of the fluid changing place from side/side within the steering rack.
If there's a bind spot, see if you can narrow it down.

Caster is the angle with the front end that returns the steering to center. Ever see one of those nasty H/D Choppers with the very long front forks? They have massive amounts of caster. One has to hold the handlebars with extra force when exiting a turn, because the damn thing snaps back to center with great force, owing to the massive amounts of caster.

After checking the steering/suspension likely an alignment is in your future to ferret out some of the angles going on under there.
Post here and I'll offer an opinion.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
somebod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Before I started tossing parts ($$$) at the car, I'd be checking a few things. Safely jack & support the front with 2 jack stands. Get under the front & remove the splash shield. Turn the wheels full lock left & right by grabbing the tires.

Any binding of the tie rod ends, ball joints and/or strut mounts? Should move freely with only the restriction of the fluid changing place from side/side within the steering rack.
If there's a bind spot, see if you can narrow it down.

Theres no binding, all the parts we're changed , its brand new everything there,
i did checked the car, thats why you can see the old engine mounts