E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Carbon fiber interior trim wrap complete!

24K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  Alex323Ci 
#1 ·
Over the last few evenings I've been wrapping all the wood trim in my car with some 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber vinyl. It was shockingly easy. A little rubbing alcohol to clean things prior to application, a heat gun to help with forming it to the random shapes, a sharp xacto knife for trimming, and presto! A whole new interior look.

Passenger door

Right rear door

Driver door

Left rear door (can you see the seam?)

Audio unit

Passenger dash

Light switch on driver side

Shifter

I'm really pleased with how well it turned out. I took time to figure out which way I wanted the direction of the pattern to go, and settled on having it radiate away from the steering wheel. So everything center and passenger side points to the right, and everything driver side points to the left. This winds up working really well with the door trim.

The only tricky part is the 2x4' piece of di-noc I ordered isn't wide enough to do the left rear door trim piece with the pattern going the way I wanted. I had to splice two pieces together carefully to make it work. Thankfully I had a rotary trimmer and quilting square from, well, quilting, which made it trivial to trim it exactly. (Yes, you can laugh here. That's fine.)

I have to go back with the heat gun and do a small touch-up on the shifter piece. You can see there's a small bubble in the bottom left of the passenger switch assembly that's going to drive me nuts unless I fix it. That's easy to do with the heat gun though.

:thumbsup:

Neil

See less See more
#39 · (Edited)
what an awesome write up im definitely gunna do this

#55 ·
well just so you know the coupe armrests are much harder to do than sedan door trim.
also this is a covering from a vinyl, nothing like the look of real carbon fiber. :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.