General Exclaim? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Tire & Wheel Forum

Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
DinanBMW330

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to DinanBMW330
General Exclaim?

I was on tire rack looking for 2 new front tires for my 330ci. According to their survey results, the #4 tire in the category is the General Exclaim UHP for $90 each (seems too cheap). The #1 tire was the Yokohama S.Drive for $138/ea.

Any experiences with either of the two? I'm assuming that spending the extra 48 per tire would be worth the Yokohama?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Andrew.

DinanBMW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
radioactiveman

My Ride: 2003 530i
I just picked up some wheels with these tires on them. About 70% left on the tires. 225/40/18

I've had them for about 2 weeks now and driven them in a bunch of conditions. So far I love them. I went from 205/55/16 so these are a lot stiffer. I find they are little noisy at city speeds (40-70km/h) but on the highway they are nice and quiet.

If they are around when i need to replace them I will buy the same ones. They seem like a good bang for the buck.

Hope that helps!
Brian
radioactiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
nevin

My Ride: 08 AA m3
This is just my opinion and don't know much about tires. I think the general exclaim is the best tire for the money and better then some of the more expensive tires. I also am never going to track my car and i don't (usually) use my town as the Nurburgring. If your the same then these are definitely the best bang for your buck tires out there (imo).

I've got about 30% tread left in the front and 20% left in the back. I'm going to make another purchase soon.
nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
[email protected]

I'm on my second set of Exclaim UHPs. Tons of members on here use them. They're a great tire for the price.
Chris@ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
NightWolfe

My Ride: 02' 330CI
For the money they are really a decent tire .. however this time I'm going to give the Nexen N3000s a shot .. they're even cheaper than the Generals and have some good reviews

http://************/5smecz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For Sale -
-
-
NightWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
[email protected] AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
The General UHP are the best bang for your buck
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: ..
I have them on the touring, nice tire for everyday use

budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
i had a set on 19's and they lasted about 20K mi. I thought they would last longer though because they have a 380 UTQG.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
i had a set on 19's and they lasted about 20K mi. I thought they would last longer though because they have a 380 UTQG.
20k isn't bad for a tire that's dirt cheap.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Delirium
yo mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
20k isn't bad for a tire that's dirt cheap.
well, i guess i expected more because i have gotten 20K mi out of tires that have a lower UTQG rating in the past. However, i dont think that the UTQG rating is standardized is it? So, the treadwear for the same rating can differ between different brands of tires?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
well, i guess i expected more because i have gotten 20K mi out of tires that have a lower UTQG rating in the past. However, i dont think that the UTQG rating is standardized is it? So, the treadwear for the same rating can differ between different brands of tires?
No it's not standard.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
VMRWheels
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything with VMRs!
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Tons of people can vouch for the UHP's. They are a great bang for the buck tire currently as you can see. If you are only looking to daily driving without any aggressive driving, then they are a great tire for you.

If you want to look into a better quality tire, take a look at the Kumho SPT. They are currently more affordable and offer better grip then the UHP's but are cheaper then the Yokohama's.

[email protected]
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] AutohaŘs View Post
what he said
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
sbocaj55

My Ride: 330
Send a message via AIM to sbocaj55
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] AutohaŘs View Post
I agree with this also. I've had mine for a few months and am really happy with them. When I first picked them up, I was blown away with how meaty they look. They look pretty serious. I don't notice excessive road noise but I also have a full TSE3 I live 400+ miles from school and at 75mph on the highway these are very quiet. I've also found their dry AND wet traction to be very good. I even found myself suddenly stuck in a heavy snow storm and I made it home. I surely wouldn't recommend them for snow to anyone, but rwd+manual trans+265 rear width+snow=epic fail for most tires. I'd choose them again over an expensive brand for daily driver use, especially since my girlfriend's Goodyear Eagle F1's blew out a sidewall

sbocaj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
Delirium
yo mama

I like mine too, but am just wondering if they wore out a bit early considering they are UTQG 380? I am unable to rotate mine becuase I haave a staggered setup.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
SD 328I

My Ride: E46-E90-F150-1125R
I have them on my car, I agree best bang for the buck, and just about any reviews (Tire Rack for example) bears that out. They are superior to the original Contis I had, and far cheaper to boot.

Continental owns General (or vice versa), so I have no problem putting them on any car.
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #17
SpeedDemon

My Ride: E92M3 E46ZHP Golf7R
I don't understand how/why so many people here dump so much money into their cars and then buy the cheapest tires

They're the only thing on your car that actually touches the road; easily the most important part of any car

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I don't understand how/why so many people here dump so much money into their cars and then buy the cheapest tires

They're the only thing on your car that actually touches the road; easily the most important part of any car
Because expensive doesn't necessarily mean quality.

mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Because expensive doesn't necessarily mean quality.
And cheap doesn't necessarily mean quality either.

General Exlaim UHP is a great tire for cruising, but I wouldn't be caught dead at an autox/track event with them.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
SD 328I

My Ride: E46-E90-F150-1125R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
And cheap doesn't necessarily mean quality either.

General Exlaim UHP is a great tire for cruising, but I wouldn't be caught dead at an autox/track event with them.
Most people don't autox/track their cars. If I did, I would probably have a dedicated set of track tires/wheels anyways.

The Exclaims are been some of my best all around tires on my E46 at least, which includes a previous set of OEM spec Contis, and Pirellis.
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote