Old 01-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #20
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Removing extremely reluctant spark plugs is unnerving. There's always that question in the back of ones mind "Am I stripping the threads?"

When we're presented with such, we usually loosen the plug a turn or two. Spray penetrating oil down the hole and let sit for 5 min. Then turn in a turn or two and wait again. The idea is to get the penetrant into/through the threads.

How much should you force it out...? It's an experience thing that can no way be translated to you in typing. :>((

Using a torque wrench in reverse is generally not a good idea.

Almost any fastener will require more torque than installation once it's set.

Torque wrenches last longer if only used for tightening purposes. Higher end torque instruments such as some of the ones in my shop only work in one direction for that reason.

BTW, Yes I'm a member of the apply anti-seize to spark plug threads. Always have been.

BTW some MB cars recommend removing spark plugs on some of the "Service B" if the car has time but low mileage for the reason you are now confronted with.
Summed up perfectly. I ordered the syringe suggested above to apply the thread lubricant. Agreed on the anti-seizure as well, always apply a small dab.

MrMCar, any thoughts on the temperature of the head and plug making a difference for when to remove/install the plugs?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote