E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Spark Plug Removal
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #12
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtus79 View Post
Everything is back together for now. The second plug was uncomfortably difficult to torque down. The thought of stripping the aluminum head is absolutely miserable.

Keep the insights coming and I'll report back what happens over the next few days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes, ATF as in auto transmission fluid. Its a good substitute for penetrating fluids/oils in general if you have no PB Blaster, Kroil, etc., on hand. A 50/50 mix of Atf and acetone is basically a homemade penetrating fluid and is actually pretty effective. Any penetrating fluid should work though.

Try an incremental approach. Unscrew plug until it tightens up, spray Liquid Wrench, etc, on threads. Tighten loosen back and forth. If still stuck, then tighten back up and let soak overnight. In the morning, more liquid wrench plus tighten and loosen. If still stuck, clean up all the pf spray and run engine for 10 minutes to warm up a bit and more tighten and loosen. Let it cool down and start over. Some variation of this routine should get it out safely at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 01-07-2020 at 12:14 AM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote