E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Yellow plastic tip on the end of the AC hoses

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  damonforrer 
#1 ·
I have just had my compressor to condenser hose extened to work on my LS swap. One of the guys at work TIG welded a pipe sleeve into the metal part of the hose to extend it 3" for me.
In the process he melted off the little yellow plastic end that is just before the O-ring.

Do you think the yellow plastic tip is necessary? The best we can figure is that is there to retain the O-ring when the hose is removed. The o-ring creates the seal so do you think I need the yellow plastic tip, and if so why?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a locator so the o-ring is compressed evenly as you crank down the securing bolt (which inevitably applies a force to the o-ring against the wall towards the clockwise rotation.

I think I still have one from my last AC hose repair. I'll put it in the mail if it's that important to you but I imagine you can fashion one pretty easily.

#4 ·
If you happen to have the one that goes on the compressor end of the compressor to condenser hose I would be happy to pay you for it. The hoses all seem to have different sized ends on them.

I don't know how I would make one. Are they able to be removed and re-used on another hose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.