E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Headlight Woes
Thread: Headlight Woes
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
the saga continues. the headlight went out again shortly after replacing the bulb. i actually DID switch the ballasts and the light problem switched from light to the other. aha! it MUST be the ballast. i bought a new one and installed it and the headlight worked! BOTH OF THEM!!!

i felt like an all-conquering master of the universe.

until the light that had the NEW ballast stopped working after about 40 minutes of driving.

switching the headlight off and then turning it back on a second later will start the headlight working again only to have the problem become more frequent the longer the car is driven.

i've read that it could be a question of taking out the LCM (LKM?) and resetting it. which is the next step when i have some time (it's winter here in NJ so the 330ci is sleeping under a car cover most of the time these days).

could this be some kind of temperature-related issue? a part of the headlight overheating and shutting down. how could it be a wiring issue (as in a frayed wire) if the headlight will still work for about a period of 40 minutes? it is quite confounding as i'm sure many folks out there have come to realize.

could it be the igniter?
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote