E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Steering wheel play. How I found the cure.
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #40
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintilla View Post
Finally someone got the answer. Great!!!

Did you compare the new and old part? What's wrong with it?

Mine has exactly the same problem. Free play, clunking noise when I wiggle the steering wheel, and sometimes even rattle from somewhere in the steering column at a certain speed. People kept telling me it's the LCA or steering rack, but I never stopped doubting. This "play" is there whether the engine is running or not. If it's from something below the rack, it should feel different when the steering pump isn't running.
Just so you know, I think in most cases it can still be the Control Arm bushings and/or tie rods. The play you describe is still somewhere between the steering wheel and the wheels on the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote