E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Coolant brands?
Thread: Coolant brands?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #32
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
dont want to let this coolant thread become an oil thread- we have seen the articles, ive been using prestone long life peak longlife or global or supertech long life on E53 3.0 151K miles ,thermosat(#2) expansion tank(#2) all else original.E46 2.5 162K miles water pump(#2),thermostat(#2) expansion tank(#2)all else original.Im comfortable with the choices ive made and car runs like new.If the above failures are due to my use of "green stuff" I am fine with that...how long have yours lasted with the BMW Blue?
Btw - my acura with 172k miles run on the same coolant choices too after the warranty, on its original cooling system sans water pump change with the timing belt at 100k.
Sounds good to me, I dont care what anyone runs. Just FYI, your sample size of 2 BMW's is much lower than the sample size I am using for my data points. That doesn't make me better than you so don't get all defensive.

But what I want others reading this to think about is what it does mean is when you have a best friend who owns a BMW shop and also work on other peoples cars for extra cash you hang around a lot of BMW mechanics. We talk trends and what works and what doesn't. That knowledge equals many, many years of experience with many, many more cars than just my own. I draw from this experience and knowledge when I answer threads like this so others (not you because you obviously have made up up your mind) can consider all the facts before making an informed decision.

To answer you directly about my own cars, my first e46 leaked coolant, blew tstats, and broke 2 water pumps (ran green coolant cause I didnt know any better). My last 3 e46's have had ZERO failures if any kind. All of them were over 200k miles when I sold them or they were crashed. The systems last 70k miles and then I replace them before they fail. I run blue coolant (not just BMW, Pentefrost and Peakes new blue stuff) and dont see any reason to run green since they prices and availability are now the same for each.

I'm done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smolck; 12-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote