E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Changed to winter/all weather tires, car handles like a boat

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  2003 325i 
#1 ·
I've just changed from my Michelin Pilot Super Sport to Kumho Solus KH21 225/47/R17 (all weather tires, which are really winter tires, I had almost identical tires on my Honda, they were fine)

I am driving on the highway and I notice that the car feels like a boat, I've never experienced worse handling than this, even on my Toyota Echo

Is this really due to the tires? Steel rims can not be to blame?

Can the slightly larger profile be the culprit?

Or is this normal for all winter tires? Although I've had winter tires before, and no such thing.

#2 ·
Different tire dimensions will dramatically affect the feel of a car. "Low profile" tires will make the car feel one with the road, and fatter tires will make the car seem less dettached to the road, or "like a boat". And not to mention you are going from the best tire on the market, to one with far less quality.

#5 ·
Nope. You went from tires that were really grippy, have excellent tread patterns, and are made for summer driving.

Your all seasons, or winter as you say, have different tread patterns and different grip ratings. Thus the feel, slightly.

But yes, depth also dramatically effects handling. Believe me, you'll get used to it over time. Then when you switch back, you'll be like "Holy Sh1t"

#13 ·
Now I am thinking of changing back to my summer tires and driving on them until the snow starts to fall, or keeping these ones on and not enjoying my drives anymore
That's seems pretty much to be the choice you have.

But be aware, summer performance tires become next to useless for anything beyond cruising a subdivision around 40F (~5C). That is, the wonderful grip @ 80F (27C) disappears. Even at the lower speeds, expect braking distances to be longer.

As with most things in life, tire design involves compromises. And choosing which tire to drive means accepting those compromises. At one point, some years ago, when we were putting a lot of miles on one of our cars, it had 3 sets of tires (and went to autox in whatever it was wearing at the time):

• Summer:
    June - Sept
    Average late freeze is the end of May
  • All-season:
    Oct - Nov; Apr - May
    Can be warm or below freezing; typically only light snow
  • Winter:
    Dec - March
    We get our first "meaningful" snow toward the end of November, and, thanks to lake-effect, the ground is typically covered until Easter
Tire technology has improved and we're putting fewer miles on the cars and use just two sets (summer and winter) for each. We have found that only the winter beater needs the serious, "full-bore" winter rubber and makes do with all-seasons the rest of the year.

#11 ·
All good points. There are many variables that affect a tire's behavior. I have experienced significant handling differences even within the same tire brand, size and type (summer). This was going from Continental ContiSport Contact 2 to the Extreme Contact DW. Steering response dropped quite a bit, although treadwear was improved.

#16 ·
Try adding some air. I run my summer 235/45 Michelins at 34 psi. I had the same issue when the 225/45 General artic snows went on. Found that they really needed 38-40 psi and they are much better handling. They handled well enough for me to avoid a pickup truck cap that came straight at my windshield! Dove into the break down lane hugging the guardrail as the cap went by my side window! Damn, these tires are better than I expected!!
Made in Germany and the price is right!

#21 ·
adjust your pressures... probably an increase all around. I ran Continental DWS on my 330ci after Pilot Sport, and now the same my 330Ci ZHP. (at slightly higher PSI) Give the "all seasons" 1000 miles to break in. you'll be dippin and diving in no time.

but i do run a larger rim, 18's, with less sidewall which may play into the handling. I love my Continental DWS tires.

#23 · (Edited)
The Solus is indeed a touring all season tire, so you shouldn't expect too much in the handling dept. I think the Ecsta is the all season sport tire in the Kumho brand. I've run all season sport tires (Bridgestone, Michelin or Goodyear) on every Euro car I've owned and never had a complaint about handling. I had an E30 with the sport suspension and Michelin a/s Pilot Sport Exaltos - that car hung in curves like a dream. I think my next all season tire will be the Goodyear F1 or the Michelin PS3.

#25 ·
Not really true, since I had very similar ones on my Accord and no problems at all

They are not the best of course, but I expect them to do just fine

And for those stating that it is a touring tire, not true either. They have a number of Solus sub models, mine is KH21, pretty close to a snow tire,

http://www.kumhotire.ca/en/tire/category/car/C1E1B42F-0CB4-4441-9FFE-928F952D63FC

In any case, thanks for all the replies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.