E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (https://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (https://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Replacing 2004 BMW zhp suspension with Bilstein b12 pro kit (https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1265301)

Cdelossantoszhp 11-05-2019 02:04 PM

Replacing 2004 BMW zhp suspension with Bilstein b12 pro kit

Hi everyone! - I just bought a b12 pro kit (Bilstein B8 & Eibach pro springs) from Turner Motorsports. I'm looking for a small drop on the stock zhp suspension. I have yet to install them. Does anyone have this setup on their BMW ZHP? I'm curious how much of a drop this kit has on a ZHP. Has your handling improved? How is the ride quality? If you have any photos of your ZHP with a b12 pro kit that would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Sicily1918 11-05-2019 06:26 PM

The Eibach kit's supposed to drop the car another 1" to 1.5" -- that's a LOT for these cars (OEM sport setup E46's clearance is effectively 5 inches at the mid-point between rear/front wheels), so your clearance will drop below 4". Be careful since it's easier to bottom out; happened on my wife's old 318iS (almost the exact same setup (B6 and H&R sport springs)) and speed bumps and sharp driveway entrances were awful... it's why I stuck with OEM height and B8s on my ZHP.

Incidentally, there was not MUCH difference in feel between OEM and B8 shocks on my ZHP, but the difference from OEM to B6s on the 325 was VERY noticeable (and nice).

Cdelossantoszhp 11-05-2019 08:03 PM

Thank you for this feedback! I really appreciate. I've heard that Eibach focuses more on an OEM ride, but slightly better handling. I guess I'll just find out once I install the B12 pro kit setup early December!

damon forrer 02-17-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdelossantoszhp (Post 18661697)
Thank you for this feedback! I really appreciate. I've heard that Eibach focuses more on an OEM ride, but slightly better handling. I guess I'll just find out once I install the B12 pro kit setup early December!

I am considering the same setup on my LS swapped 330ci.
How is the ride quality with this setup? do you have any issues with speedbumps or driveways being lowered?

Cdelossantoszhp 02-26-2020 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Damon - Sorry for the late response. I already have the bilstein pro kit installed on my BMW 330izhp, and I have to say it's an absolute improvement in ride quality and handling. The car feels more planted on the road, and the car takes on bumps with refinement. I've noticed that the car is a lot more stable at high speeds and my confidence has drastically increased on high speed and abrupt turns. I have no issues with speedbumps and driveways. I have a very steep driveway since I live in the mountains, and have no concerns. The B12 pro kit is the WAY TO GO if you daily drive your car (you can find it on turnermotorsport since that is where I ordered mine... great customer service and fast delivery). Hope that answers your questions!

Below is a pic with the new B12 pro kit installed!

damon forrer 02-27-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdelossantoszhp (Post 18725969)
Hi Damon - Sorry for the late response. I already have the bilstein pro kit installed on my BMW 330izhp, and I have to say it's an absolute improvement in ride quality and handling. The car feels more planted on the road, and the car takes on bumps with refinement. I've noticed that the car is a lot more stable at high speeds and my confidence has drastically increased on high speed and abrupt turns. I have no issues with speedbumps and driveways. I have a very steep driveway since I live in the mountains, and have no concerns. The B12 pro kit is the WAY TO GO if you daily drive your car (you can find it on turnermotorsport since that is where I ordered mine... great customer service and fast delivery). Hope that answers your questions!

Below is a pic with the new B12 pro kit installed!

I ended up ordering a set of BC Racing coil overs, also from Turner Motorsports. The main reason I went this route was because I was able to go to a higher spring rate in the front to compensate for the extra 200 lbs of the iron block LS.

They work out about the same price as the B12 pro kit after you add in the cost of new upper mounts etc.

Turner also told me that the front strut tower reinforcement plates are not necessary with the BR series coil overs. He did suggest I use the rear shock mount reinforcement plates though.

They look like really nice quality parts, and the reviews I found online we all very positive. I will let you know how they feel a few months from now.

USPS shows they delivered yesterday, but were not on my porch when I got home. Hopefully just a delivery receipt error and not a porch pirate. Will see tonight.

caritop 03-10-2020 11:08 AM

For BMW you can see a lot of different options for tuning. Tuning every owner does already under his driving style and under the goal that they want to achieve. I chose the Tuning BMW X5 https://rng-t.com/body_kit/bmw/bmw-x5-f15-f85/. It's not just that would change the appearance of the car. This changed the aerodynamics of the car on the road. The car is better at turning, there is a greater grip on the road in the rain and when there was slush. Engine and transmission upgrades increase the engine power of the car

srebrin 04-06-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicily1918 (Post 18661635)
The Eibach kit's supposed to drop the car another 1" to 1.5" -- that's a LOT for these cars (OEM sport setup E46's clearance is effectively 5 inches at the mid-point between rear/front wheels), so your clearance will drop below 4". Be careful since it's easier to bottom out; happened on my wife's old 318iS (almost the exact same setup (B6 and H&R sport springs)) and speed bumps and sharp driveway entrances were awful... it's why I stuck with OEM height and B8s on my ZHP.

Incidentally, there was not MUCH difference in feel between OEM and B8 shocks on my ZHP, but the difference from OEM to B6s on the 325 was VERY noticeable (and nice).

It is very nice car