E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
ilkercatal

My Ride: 2001 325 i
My rear suspension is acting stupid

Problem is actually for both but left is in worse condition. As, I mentioned I installed 2 new (very cheap ones) struts, 3 new mounths in the rear as well as replaced a broken spring on the left side. Just over 1500 miles and now my strut is (right side) about to pop out of strut mount again.

Do you think installing good stuff ( like i did for front at the same time) for rear and also installing a aluminum bar on top of the strutt mounts in rear would reduce this crazy tear problem. Since I bought the problem, I have never been happy with suspension, always noisey ((

here is a brief video of the problem:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1348203735734.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	470206  

Last edited by ilkercatal; 09-21-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: more info
ilkercatal is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. From the pictures, everything appears normal.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
ilkercatal

I put little information, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. From the pictures, everything appears normal.
It's my bad I forgot to add a video and another picture. Problem is actually for both but left is in worse condition. As, I mentioned I installed 2 new (very cheap ones) struts, 3 new mounths in the rear as well as replaced a broken spring on the left side. Just over 1500 miles and now my strut is (right side) about to pop out of strut mount again.

Do you think installing good stuff ( like i did for front at the same time) for rear and also installing a aluminum bar on top of the strutt mounts in rear would reduce this crazy tear problem. Since I bought the problem, I have never been happy with suspension, always noisey ((

I am adding a short video here:

Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
njoni007

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2
Get a Mayle HD if you can find. Cheap mounts are never a good idea as they take a lot of beating. M3 mount can fit as well and it is better constructed. I have not tried on sedans but on 330Ci M3 rear mount fits perfect.
njoni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
ExcelonGT

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP 6-speed
sounds like a bad rear shock mount (RSM). I have heard good things about Rouge engineering RSM http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html
ExcelonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelonGT View Post
sounds like a bad rear shock mount (RSM). I have heard good things about Rouge engineering RSM http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html
Sounds like? Completely obvious it IS the RSM's. Go with MEYLE HD's cheap and sturdy.

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
ExcelonGT

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by euG! View Post
Sounds like? Completely obvious it IS the RSM's. Go with MEYLE HD's cheap and sturdy.
Thanks for that, Mr. Know it all
ExcelonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
ilkercatal

thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkercatal View Post
It's my bad I forgot to add a video and another picture. Problem is actually for both but left is in worse condition. As, I mentioned I installed 2 new (very cheap ones) struts, 3 new mounths in the rear as well as replaced a broken spring on the left side. Just over 1500 miles and now my strut is (right side) about to pop out of strut mount again.

Do you think installing good stuff (like i did for front at the same time) for rear and also installing a aluminum bar on top of the strutt mounts in rear would reduce this crazy tear problem. Since I bought the problem, I have never been happy with suspension, always noisey ((
Its odd that you are having the push-through problem on just one side. On the passenger's side it appears the rubber is completely separating from the stationary metal mount. That's very bad for your mount, and prevents the shock from doing its job correctly. Are you positive you installed all the proper washers onto the shock in the correct direction and correct position? If so, you probably have a defective mount that should be returned and replaced with a new part. What brand did you install? Installing "good stuff" can't hurt. Meyle makes RSMs that are designed specifically to prevent the push-through you are experiencing.

Installing a rear strut tower bar is a band-aid and may not even help your problem anyway - depending on how it installs onto the car. Typically they mount onto the threaded studs coming out of the rear shock mounts. Mounting in this way would do nothing extra to prevent the rubber from pushing through.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Dude.....your strut is coming through the Rear Shock Mount tower......Buy new RSM's for 99$

Couldnt tell you if your springs or shocks are done. But you need new RSM bushings at least. Fix that as it will start to smack, cracking the tower, subframe. You name it.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
ilkercatal

oh,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Its odd that you are having the push-through problem on just one side. On the passenger's side it appears the rubber is completely separating from the stationary metal mount. That's very bad for your mount, and prevents the shock from doing its job correctly. Are you positive you installed all the proper washers onto the shock in the correct direction and correct position? If so, you probably have a defective mount that should be returned and replaced with a new part. What brand did you install? Installing "good stuff" can't hurt. Meyle makes RSMs that are designed specifically to prevent the push-through you are experiencing.

Installing a rear strut tower bar is a band-aid and may not even help your problem anyway - depending on how it installs onto the car. Typically they mount onto the threaded studs coming out of the rear shock mounts. Mounting in this way would do nothing extra to prevent the rubber from pushing through.
Actually I am missing bump-stop on one of the struts and one washer is missing as well. Does the bump-stop makes a huge difference, and washers?
also how much torque should be applied, is that a deal breaker as well?( i tighed up decent)
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
doggy

My Ride: 330ise
check this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=33&fg=45
what parts are you missing? the bits you dont need are: 8,11,14,16,17,19 but you need everything else. From your video, either the shock mount is REALLY poor quality or 6 is missing.

If you are missing the bumpstop then probably also missing dust shield which protects the piston from dirt & if your shocks are cheap or worn, you risk tearing the shock towers
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkercatal View Post
Actually I am missing bump-stop on one of the struts and one washer is missing as well. Does the bump-stop makes a huge difference, and washers?
also how much torque should be applied, is that a deal breaker as well?( i tighed up decent)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
check this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=33&fg=45
what parts are you missing? the bits you dont need are: 8,11,14,16,17,19 but you need everything else. From your video, either the shock mount is REALLY poor quality or 6 is missing.

If you are missing the bumpstop then probably also missing dust shield which protects the piston from dirt & if your shocks are cheap or worn, you risk tearing the shock towers
OP - yes the bump stop makes a difference. Go to the link provided by doggy. It is critical that items #4, 5, 6 and 12 are installed in the correct order and direction as shown in the diagram. You also really need to have the dust boots in place.

The bump stop (4) is designed for one end to fit snugly inside the dust boot (3). There is an interlocking groove that allows the two parts to fit together.
Washer (5) will rest inside the top of the bump stop, and should sit on a groove on the shock rod.
Washer (6) fits upside-down around the top of the bump stop
You already have the last washer in place correctly (12)
While you are in there, might as well replace gasket (9) and all self-locking hardware (10, 13, 2) and probably the lower shock bolt.

Torque requirements are:
Rear shock to trailing arm - 44 ft/lb
Rear shock to upper mount - 10 ft/lb
Rear shock upper mount to body M8 self-locking nuts - 21 ft/lb

Last edited by LeMansteve; 10-12-2012 at 09:42 AM.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote