E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
green frog

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
This is my
Main black box is the one with a hole on it,
Connect your ground wire to that big bolt on the bottom right corner of Above picture.
my ground wire is grounded on to the big bolt you mentioned.

you and i seem to have the same main black box, except you were able to bolt yours on to that nut/bolt.
green frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
I told you that hole doesnt matter. It's just a hook. Rip that hole bigger or duct tape the box somewhere. Just get the fusebox connected to the black box.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by green frog View Post
My two BIGGEST issues are:

1. The black bezel piece that comes off from the inner headlights will not go back in because the installed angel eyes are blacking their path.

2. The black relay socket will not fit in the ground terminal.

I think #1 is the biggest issue because even if everything works, how the **** am I supposed to reassemble my headlights?

What a **** product. Thanks for nothing EAS.
Don't blame eas. It's obviously your installation thats the problem. Angel ayes take some basic skill to get them to sit right in the lights. It's not a complete plug and play kit!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #24
green frog

Well I got the lights to work, finally!

I just left the black box with the ring loose since it can't bolt on, but I did connect the harness to it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #25
green frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
Don't blame eas. It's obviously your installation thats the problem. Angel ayes take some basic skill to get them to sit right in the lights. It's not a complete plug and play kit!
according to their installation video, the black bezel slips right back in with no hassle.

it must be that way with the pre-facelift headlights because there seems to be a wider gap above the projectors.

with my facelift headlights, that gap is so narrow that i was barely able to get my angel eye wires through there.

Note the 2:56 mark on this youtube video.

question: do i have to reinstall that black bezel? can i just use my headlights without it? there's no way it's going to go back in unless I dremel a significant chunk off of it

Last edited by green frog; 07-07-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
MercForHire

Told ya it's not hard. If you paid someone to do this you'd slap yourself now.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #27
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Getting the wire through the firewall and into the glovebox area took some time for me as well so don't sweat if it isn't 5 seconds to do. I think that was the one and only time I've sat upside down in the passenger seat If you're still having troubkle there I think I ended up attaching the wire to a small metal wire and pushed that through as a guide because the wire itself kept snagging on other stuff behind the dash.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
green frog

Update:

So I got the lights working, but three major issues:

1. Was not able to get the remote on/off feature set up due to inability to wire cable through footwell.
2. Black bezel/trim inside the headlight was not installed because they are blocked by the angel eyes
3. The black cube piece from picture three was not bolted on because it will not fit.

Further, my headlights got aligned weirdly (I took them out) and there is a wide gap between the headlights and the turn lamps. I'm going to take my car to a mechanic to get these loose ends taken care of. I can't handle working on this anymore.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #29
green frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
Getting the wire through the firewall and into the glovebox area took some time for me as well so don't sweat if it isn't 5 seconds to do. I think that was the one and only time I've sat upside down in the passenger seat If you're still having troubkle there I think I ended up attaching the wire to a small metal wire and pushed that through as a guide because the wire itself kept snagging on other stuff behind the dash.
Did you have to disassemble the glove box? Or did you simply route it through from the engine bay into that small opening from the footwell light?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #30
green frog

if you look at where the headlights meet the turnlights, you can see a black slit -- that's the gap. also, pictures make the auroras seem like the lights are a solid circle, but that's just pictures. when you see them in person the gaps are very noticeable.

overall, very disappointed with this product. I think im going to return them for orions or sth. I always thought orions were more popular because they were cheaper, but i guess not.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #31
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
The relay doesn't have to be grounded or anything you can leave it dangling if you want.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #32
n3985

My Ride: E92 soon?
1. The relay itself does not need to be grounded like mentioned above. Only the ground wire needs to be.
2. Use a metal cloth hanger to feed the remote wire through the foot well light area.
3. The black bezel is clipped around the angel eyes, the top portion goes above the ring clips and the bottom underneath the actual ring.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #33
MercForHire

Quote:
Originally Posted by green frog View Post
Did you have to disassemble the glove box? Or did you simply route it through from the engine bay into that small opening from the footwell light?
take out the glovebox to see where the fished wire is
Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
I think I left the glove box and used the foot well light to answer your question. It was a while ago though.

Last edited by MacFady; 07-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
MacFady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #35
Solatso

My Ride: 2001 330i
I too was not able to "mount" the relay box due to the opening being too small so I just zip tied it to the spot in the bottom right hand corner of picture #4 in your first set of pics that you posted, been that way for years and all is well. As for the footwell situation my wire came in right behind the carpet just below the glovebox (I believe, it's been quite a while), I was then able to fish it through the glovebox from underneath (or behind I forget now) and tap the footwell light that way. It was a pain, especially if you have big hands, but with a little patience it worked out. I have a pre-facelift sedan so I'm not sure how different the glovebox/footwell area is on facelift sedans but I have to imagine it's very similar if not the same.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #36
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Hello,

So I finally decide to have some balls and do a diy myself. I swap my halogen headlights for xenon headlights, At first they were flickering than turn my car off as I was working on the AE and than when I turned my car back on, they were perfectly fine. But 20 minutes later and than one of them just start flicklering and as the minutes pass, the other one followed too. I never flash my car for xenon as I was told that if they were OEM than I wouldn't need to but I guess now I will have to get them flash.

I recorded as It was happening, Running the new opaque AE's

Now I have another problem with the AE's installation. I did the installation as it shows here http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html
and on I plug the cable in the ECU box as it shows on the picture

But they are not fading away. I believe I will need to plug them in my passenger footwell light as show on this video ?

Could somebody please verify this for me before I do it. Also would it matter that there is a cable plug in the ECU box and the other cable plug on the passenger footwell.. or will this cause a big explotion and my car will go pffft?

Also I upload some pics. of How the opaque AE look at night. I finally understood why everyone will tell me that is so hard to take pics at night... They so damn bright... they appeared blue or white is very random. depending on the angle you look at them
Sorry for the sucky pictures. I took them with my phone.

Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #37
CarloCarbajale46

My Ride: 2000 323i e46
Hi, well i just sign in because i always read and do research before ask, il go straight to the thing.

I just bought some led angel eyes they come in a black box and are for e46 or any bmw, they dont come with a manual or something, i see te wiring is exactly the same as almost all angel eyes in all threads the problem is that my "trigger" and "remote" wires are not the same color as what i see so im confused about how to install them. I did everything I saw in a variety of threads, i installed them to my battery putted the black thingy that goes screwed into the passenger part like this http://fastm.com/m3/angeleyes/angeleyes28b.jpg

Everything on that side is correct but now when i go to the ECU box and tap the accesory or whatever you call the yellow with red wire, i dont know what to connect i have 2 wires that i think those are the remote and trigger wires one is yellow and the other is white, the white one is the one that can reach the drivers part so i think that this is the one you connect to the box but when i connect it and turn the key to the 2nd position they dont turn on.

The thing is i really wanted my angel eyes to work while i know how to connect it the cool way so i tapped into my low beams so they could turn on and they do so i gueess the battery thingy is correct but i nned help knowing what to do so when i connecte them to the ecu box accesory wire they can work, when i connect the aes to the low beams i conncet the yellow wire and it works so maybe i have to make the yellow wire longer so it can reach the ecu box, hope you understand my problem, thank you!

Last edited by CarloCarbajale46; 11-18-2011 at 04:03 PM.
CarloCarbajale46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #38
CarloCarbajale46

My Ride: 2000 323i e46
can someone help me please?!!!

hi! this are the pohots of what i did, exactly as the video.

Im connecting the white trigger wire to the ecu box and this is the one i got left that i think is the one for the foot.

But it doesnt work -.- i went and did the thing i told you about connecting it to my low beams and this is what i did:

and they turn on doing this! look

Now the thing is that i want to do it the right way, this is just a temporary thing but i did everything i saw in videos and forums and im not getting results, please help me if you can i sware ill go to the bank and make a deposit for 50 bucks or i dunno, please!

Thanx!
CarloCarbajale46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #39
Milz328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I had the same issue with my 2000 328i ill pm a picture of my set up
Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #40
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
I agree some of the fittiment is not so good (as it seems with all aftermarket). They should make the inner 'angel eye's' wiring about 1-2" longer as it's a tight fit. Also there is a reason no one shows the driver's side install in the demos...it's much harder. Anyone know the trick to get the driver's headlight out with bi-xenons? Bentley doesn't show it and it looks like two heavy gauge wires are what's holding it, but I see no removable connector.

I had to drill the relay bracket too. Also none of my shrinkwrap was tight enough to keep the braid from pulling out. I had to shrink it a lot more, I don't even think it was at all.

I goofed on the interior light also. They should reference the wire with or without the stripe as brown and red look pretty close in those tight corners to some of us male's with shade color-blindness (not a fault of the instructions).

Also the igniter boxes are not put together well, the bottoms come right off. I put a ziptie around mine and mounted them under the radiator support with a little velcro to just hold them from sliding around.

All in all it's an easy install, but the instructions leave a lot to wish for. Without google and other pics I'd have been clueless on some parts.

looks good though.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote