E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
w1ck3d

My Ride: 330ci
BMW 330 Rough idle/Loss power Codes Listed need some Help

Hi All,

OK so I pulled my car in today to see why when cold I had un-even rough idle sometimes stalling.

Traction control would turn off sometimes but not always.

The codes as follows -

P0313 - Misfire Low fuel
P0300 - Random / Multi Misfire
P1083 - Lean Mix
P1501 - Idle Speed Control Valve Suck Open <<<<<< This I think is the issue for the rough idle
P1349 - cyl 4 Misfire <<<< Is this the coil pack or a spark plug??
P1351 - cyl 5 Misfire <<<< Same again please
P0174 - Too lean Bank 2 <<<< What is bank 2?
P0171 - Too lean Bank 1 <<< again what is bank 1??

So some of these are caused by the misfires so can be taken out but I need to know if the misses are spark plugs or coil packs?

Also where is the Idle speed control valve any pictures?

Any ways guy I know I have a little sick car at the moment just some input before I get my spanner out and start digging this weekend.
w1ck3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Looking at all that, the root problem looks to be the Idle Control Valve (ICV). That being stuck open could cause all of those codes.

Search for a DIY on replacing that, then clear the codes, and see which ones come back.

To answer you questions:

When it refers to a cylinder, it has nothing to do with the coil or plug. It just means misfire. Probably because it's too lean.

Bank 1 and bank 2 refer to the front 3 cylinders (#1-3) and the back 3 cylinders (#4-6). The front O2 sensor monitors the front bank and the rear O2 monitors the rear bank. Again, it's just saying that the entire engine is too lean. A stuck open ICV would cause that.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
I'd suggest you start by pulling the DISA and ICV and cleaning both of them. Also pull all the coil boots and make sure the spark plug wells have no oil or seepage in the housings or on the coil boots (causes arcing and misfires).

Clean it all back up, reinstall everything, clear codes and go run the car and see what codes come up from a fresh start. This might help better isolate the real root of the problem....
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
w1ck3d

My Ride: 330ci
Cheers guys just cleaned out the DISA and the ICV found also some holes in the pipes connecting to the ICV and the main intake pipe, fixed those and put it all back together.

OMG amazing! constant idle at 720-723rpm when cold!!

Thanks again all it cost me was 2.49 for the carb cleaner.
w1ck3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ck3d View Post
Hi All,

OK so I pulled my car in today to see why when cold I had un-even rough idle sometimes stalling.

Traction control would turn off sometimes but not always.

The codes as follows -

P0313 - Misfire Low fuel
P0300 - Random / Multi Misfire
P1083 - Lean Mix
P1501 - Idle Speed Control Valve Suck Open <<<<<< This I think is the issue for the rough idle
P1349 - cyl 4 Misfire <<<< Is this the coil pack or a spark plug??
P1351 - cyl 5 Misfire <<<< Same again please
P0174 - Too lean Bank 2 <<<< What is bank 2?
P0171 - Too lean Bank 1 <<< again what is bank 1??

So some of these are caused by the misfires so can be taken out but I need to know if the misses are spark plugs or coil packs?

Also where is the Idle speed control valve any pictures?

Any ways guy I know I have a little sick car at the moment just some input before I get my spanner out and start digging this weekend.
Bank 1 s the first 3 cylinders from the front of the engine. I think you can guess what Bank 2 is.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote