E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
carsos

My Ride: '03 325Ci
Hydraulic belt tensioner disaster

I'm in the home stretch of my epic struggle with my cooling system overhaul, which is now stretching into a second day. While I was trying to get the new belts on, I stripped the bolt in the hydraulic tensioner. The DIY said this bolt was T50, but as I have just learned from searching this lovely forum, some are 8mm hex. Most likely mine was 8mm hex, and not knowing that, I used a T50 which stripped it.

TL;DR: Is there another way to get the belt on, if the bolt in the hydraulic tensioner is stripped? I have a belt-less, coolant-less car at the moment so I can't run out and get an extractor kit right now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaargh.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	404067  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
It also helps to get some high quality hex bits and torx bits. Most of the ones sold at stores are too soft. I recommend these

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...Tools/ES11420/

I've used them several times and put over 50 ft-lbs of torque and they don't show any wear at all.

as far as your problem

Remove the top long bolt and try to get the bottom bolt that hold the bottom pivot of the hydraulic cylinder with a 13mm wrench if possible. just be carefull becuase it will snap.
Then take the tensioner assembly off and try to get the allen bolt off with a vice grip. or other methods.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 05-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I stripped mine and used a small prybar to reinstall the accessory belt. I think I put the accessory belt onto the tensioner pulley and onto everything except one pulley (either water pump or P/S pulley). Then I pushed the tensioner pulley down with a prybar and slipped the belt over the last pulley.

Later I removed the whole oil filter housing, drilled out the middle of the tensioner bolt, removed it with a broken bolt extractor, and put in a new one.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
That is the best bet right now. Using a pry bar to leverage the tensioner so you can slip the serpentine belt on.
Just be careful not to crack/chip/damage the plastic pulley when you do.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
carsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
^
That is the best bet right now. Using a pry bar to leverage the tensioner so you can slip the serpentine belt on.
Just be careful not to crack/chip/damage the plastic pulley when you do.
Well, i did just install a new aluminum water pump pulley, so i guess i'll try the prybar method and hope for the best, heh.

Off topic, but i just moved to dallas two weeks ago. Do you have any recommendations on a good shop indy shop to use?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Do NOT leverage against the waterpump/pulley itself when you pry on the tensioner, you will damage the waterpump's bearings/seal.

Welcome to Big D., what part of Dallas? Where from??

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 05-19-2011 at 03:26 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
carsos

carrollton, from long island, ny. loving it so far. there are some things i still have to get used to, but overall it's pretty good here.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Sorry to bring back an old thread. Mine is slowly being stripped so I left it off the car so I can replace it. I want to get the bolt tomorrow and I'm wondering if the dealership is the only place I can get this locally? Or is there a specific size that I can ask any car parts store to find?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Www.realoem.com

Enter your model # and go to ENGINE > BELT DRIVE/WATER PUMP/ALTERNATOR and it'll tell you the screw size
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
rovert

Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Real OEM says it's an "M10X25"....but I fit an 8mm into it to get it out...I'm confused.

Here a pic of the bolt naked with my new pulley being modelled...LOL

I definitely want to get it replaced with something that's not slightly stripped for the future replacement of the pulley.

Last edited by rovert; 05-30-2013 at 01:17 AM.
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
There is no reason I can think of for why you can't use a normal, high grade hex bolt. A socket head cap screw (what you have in the pics) is basically just a bolt with a different tool used to fasten it. There is no other difference in the function of the fastener. If it was inset into a counterbored hole, then it would be a different story (which is the primary reason why these types of fasteners are used).
Considering all of the problems I have read about dealing with these things, I may just replace all of mine with normal Grade 8.8 hex head bolts.

Also, the M10 x 25 description has nothing to do with the size of the hex bit used to remove it. The M10 means it is a Metric 10mm diameter fastener. The 25 means it is 25mm long.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
I would think having the 8.8 hex head bolt would make it much easier since we're always using a bunch of hex sockets anyways to take our cars apart. You're on a roll getting everything apart then run into the hydraulic tensioner and realize you don't have any allen sockets...what a burn! That's exactly what happened to me a few months back...
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
rovert

So I went with you wise people's advice and bought an 8.8 HEX bolt from Home Depot.

Equal sizes:

Equal thread:

Installation with this was WAY easier without any chance of slippage:
Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
MJLavelle

Good choice! I am going to use grade 8.8 hex head bolts to replace as many Torx and socket head cap screws as possible, when I start my major overhaul/rejuvenation project. There are some areas where they are necessary, so I will leave those alone.
I think the manufacturers use them in some places (like the belt drive) to discourage people from doing the work themselves. One other reason they use them is that they work better with automated assembly equipment. And, there are some places where they are necessary. But they use them in a lot of places where they are not needed.
Even though I have all of the proper bits and tools, I still do not like trying to torque these types of fasteners.
I also remember some poor guy who stripped a Torx bolt when he tried to remove his Disa. It turned into a major time consuming mess. I don't remember if he ever got it out.
I'm glad this worked out for you!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
So I went with you wise people's advice and bought an 8.8 HEX bolt from Home Depot.

Equal sizes:

Equal thread:

Installation with this was WAY easier without any chance of slippage:
I forgot to ask, but what kind of camera/lens are you using? Nice detail shots...
Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #16
rovert

Re: Hydraulic belt tensioner disaster

LOL I was lazy and used my Samsung Galaxy S2X mobile phone. l seem to use that camera more and more since it's with me and easily acessible.