E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Question Does this LOOK like a Valve Cover Gasket leak?

I just had them replaced a week ago at Impressive Auto in Maspeth Queens, NY but I keep finding what looks like fresh oil under the car every morning. I checked everywhere in and under the car and could only see what looks like fresh oil dribbling from under the Valve Cover.

I want to be sure before calling John back to complain.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 04-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
It certainly _looks_ like a VCG leaking.

It also looks like they did not clean the mess from the last VCG that leaked, making it difficult to tell if the new one is leaking or the old one is leaving a legacy.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
delmarco

Thanks JD. That is what I thought. I am calling John right now!

Last edited by delmarco; 04-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Threads like this and personal experience is what keeps me from taking my car to the dealer or other shops.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
shoulda done it yourself bro! for someone that seems to love to investigate BMWs and dig deeper into dealer offered options, you def could have done this yourself with a few tools.

best rule ever taught to me from a friend: When something goes wrong, and you think you can fix it, buy the tools to fix it. You'll easily pay for the tools with the money you save on labor costs, and the next time, there won't be a tool cost. Not to mention you have the peace of mind knowing that it's done right!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Should of done one of your "this changes everything" threads instead of giving the job to a shop. Given the all-over-the-place nature of the leak, they could well of stripped one of the VG bolts. So the cover is not held on tight and oil is coming out of multiple places. You can't expect a non-dealer shop to know the correct torque spec. So an error is easy for them to make.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Delmarco!!!! I thought you of all people would DIY it!!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzles View Post
Let the man be. I don't think he has quite recovered from having to fix the fuzzy A-pillars yet.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
Yeah delmarco not sure who is to blame. Impressive or you for not DIY.

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
djack12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Come on delmarco. Should have.DIY. all it really takes is a rachett, 10mm socket, 8mm and a flat head screw driver. For parts you need a VCG and some RTV. I have the whole process down to 30 min.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

2001 330i

Great Service, Great Prices
Ryan Gangemi Motorworks
http://www.ryangmw.com

djack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Let the man be. I don't think he has quite recovered from having to fix the fuzzy A-pillars yet.
ROFLMAO
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzles View Post
I was gonna. But John was only charging $100 for parts and labor and EVERYONE from Montreal to Key West and NY to LA highly recommends him.

Had I done it myself after buying the gasket and a torque wrench it would have cost me just as much.

I was being lazy is what it is.

Last edited by delmarco; 04-08-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
John@Impressive AutoWerk
Past Site Sponsor

delmarco, i do not specifically remember doing work on your car. If we did do the work we stand behind our work. Judging from the picture you may still have a leak over the A/C compressor which could possibly be your VANOS seal leaking. We would be more than happy to take a look at that for you. Please contact us about any problems, or issues prior to posting threads. If the valve cover gasket job was not the issue then this thread would be irrelevant. We are extremely busy over here and do not have time to look through every thread so for future reference please call us about any issues.
John@Impressive AutoWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@ImpressiveAutoCenter View Post
delmarco, i do not specifically remember doing work on your car. If we did do the work we stand behind our work. Judging from the picture you may still have a leak over the A/C compressor which could possibly be your VANOS seal leaking. We would be more than happy to take a look at that for you. Please contact us about any problems, or issues prior to posting threads. If the valve cover gasket job was not the issue then this thread would be irrelevant. We are extremely busy over here and do not have time to look through every thread so for future reference please call us about any issues.
Hey John. No worries. I just wanted to be sure it was the VCG before calling you since I know how busy your shop is.

I will be calling you in a bit.

Last edited by delmarco; 04-08-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Had I done it myself after buying the gasket and a torque wrench it would have cost me just as much.
I am absolutely shocked you don't have a torque wrench. My respect for you has been seriously dented.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
When I did my VCG, I took my time.

I replaced the:
  • perimeter gasket
  • spark plug gasket
  • oil fill cap gasket
  • 15 grommets
  • 15 bolts and washers
I cleaned the valve cover thoroughly with soap and water and the head with brake cleaner until it was spotless.

I used RTV as per BMW TIS and used a torque wrench for the bolts.

The bolts were torqued from the center and radiated outward in a star pattern to ensure even tightening along the perimeters.

I see a lot of folks who DIY and just wing it without replacing all these parts and not using a torque wrench.

IMHO, no one cars about your car as much as you yourself does. Thats why I like to do as much as possible on my own.

Last edited by OrientBlau; 04-08-2011 at 01:33 PM.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote