E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
00E46junkie

My Ride: 00 323I
00 E46 Headlight out and dash indicator after LED tail install question...

Well ive had my 00 323i for about a year and havnt had any issues. It had Hid's and a m3 front face lift when purchased. Ive read after market Hid's and LED tails can cause a light out indicator on the dash. I shopped around and found Khoalty to be a brand used to many on the forum with the issue fixed for the light out. I installed my LED tails about a month and a half ago maybe even 2 months with no issues. Now starting the other day i have the light out indicator on randomly on the dash and my passenger headlight goes out. I can turn the headlight off and on again and itll come back on. Ive noticed it flickering also and then it will just stay off alltogether. My question is, is it the tail lights or could it be the actual HID bulb burning out? Ive researched around and seen not to many people have the light out issues with the Khoalty tails. Any help appreciated! thanks
00E46junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
I've never heard of EE LED tail lights causing headlight issues. Try swapping one ballast from one side to the other, to see if the issue is bulbs or ballast, sounds like relatively common aftermarket HID issues, and not our tail lights.
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
You could try to see if your rear tail light ground is bad. If it is, this could fix your bulb out indicator and your stupid ***** HID kit.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
00E46junkie

Pretty sure the HID's are oem or a quality kit from bavarian auto. Ill try swapping ballasts and check the bulbs out tomorrow. like i said the HID's were on the car when i bought it about a year ago and i dont know how long its been on the car so it could have been in there for a while. thanks for the responses.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
infinite012

Are they in OEM projectors?

If they are, in fact, OEM, then you can buy a new pair of Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs for $95 at www.theretrofitsource.com

Also, any aftermarket HID kit is going to be inferior in quality to any OEM HID system.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
00E46junkie

yes they are oem projectors. im gonna pull the bulbs out tomorrow but im pretty sure they are oem hid's.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
What you could do is try disconnecting your tail light altogether and see if your issue remains, if it does not then the issue is in the tail light. Mind taking pictures of your headlights/ballasts so we know if they are OE?
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
this happened to me... the connector became loose in my case though.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
00E46junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
this happened to me... the connector became loose in my case though.
which connector?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
00E46junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean@khoalty.com View Post
What you could do is try disconnecting your tail light altogether and see if your issue remains, if it does not then the issue is in the tail light. Mind taking pictures of your headlights/ballasts so we know if they are OE?
i will take sum pics of the ballasts and bulbs when i get a chance to work on it in a bit. Also will try disconnecting the tail light altogether. It usually starts doing it within about 5 to 10 minutes of driving so driving with no tail lights might not be a good idea.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00E46junkie View Post
which connector?
i mean the ignitor from the ballast...

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
00E46junkie

i took most stuff apart and swapped the ballasts and they both work. Checked all connections and wiring and didnt find anything abnormal. i noticed the headlight that goes out while driving is slightly dimmer than the driver side and maybe could be signs of it burning out. I wasnt able to disconnect the tail lights yet. Also the HID kit isnt oem i didnt get the brand off of it though. I think the ballasts said lumenetics or luminiks or sumthin. Also noticed the high beam bulb was half out of the headlight and was quite the pain in the azz to get back in. Will mess with it tomorrow and think about purchasing a new hid kit and a hid high beam set. Are there recommendations for a good kit?? What do most people use?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
infinite012

You sure you have OEM projectors?

Projectors

Even if they look like that, they might not be OEM. They could be cheapo Depo p46 headlights. You have an HID kit, so chances are high that this is the case.

HID in high beam = no no. How often do you drive with your high beams on for long periods of time? HIDs take time to warm up. Flicking them on and off constantly will lead to premature bulb death.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00E46junkie View Post
i took most stuff apart and swapped the ballasts and they both work. Checked all connections and wiring and didnt find anything abnormal. i noticed the headlight that goes out while driving is slightly dimmer than the driver side and maybe could be signs of it burning out. I wasnt able to disconnect the tail lights yet. Also the HID kit isnt oem i didnt get the brand off of it though. I think the ballasts said lumenetics or luminiks or sumthin. Also noticed the high beam bulb was half out of the headlight and was quite the pain in the azz to get back in. Will mess with it tomorrow and think about purchasing a new hid kit and a hid high beam set. Are there recommendations for a good kit?? What do most people use?
DDM tuning has good quality HID kits in my opinion

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 03-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
00E46junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
You sure you have OEM projectors?

Projectors

Even if they look like that, they might not be OEM. They could be cheapo Depo p46 headlights. You have an HID kit, so chances are high that this is the case.

HID in high beam = no no. How often do you drive with your high beams on for long periods of time? HIDs take time to warm up. Flicking them on and off constantly will lead to premature bulb death.
Dont think they are depo. Also good point on the high beam ill leave them halogen. Gonna mess with them a little today. Gonna try and see if i can find any logos or tabs on the headlights to see what brand they are.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
00E46junkie

also ive noticed that khoalty sells replacement hid bulbs. If the bulb burns out it should be possible to replace my 2 bulbs with new bulbs and use my current ballasts shouldnt it? But im gonna keep researching for the best quality kits that ppl on here r using.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
00E46junkie

Pulled my whole kit out and im guessing its an h7 hid kit. Kit looks like its made by prolumen. Need to find either replacement bulbs or a whole kit without spending a ton. Im gonna keep reading and find some good kits that fit in the p46 headlights. Also do regular hid kits mess with the voltage and trigger light out warnings like led's do or just led's.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
00E46junkie

Looking at ddmtuning kits they seem to be cheap but people have good reviews. They have an option for error eliminator type 3? guessing thats for the bmw error light? Is this needed? thanks. Also any feedback from these kits from anyone, i understand they arnt the best but they shall work for the time being.