E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
lmyamen

My Ride: 00 328i
My wheel feels like its going to wobble off my car when i Brake

ok guys question for you, both my ball joints/control arms have been done with in the past 10k miles. I am trying to figure out what is causing this new issue. When I brake my front right wheel instantly starts wobbling like crazy and I can hear it like something is loose.

It was doing this only when braking but now its doing it when I hit a bump or even a small dip in the road. Like going down the interstate it will all the sudden just start doing it and the wobble/shake is horrible when it does.

Could tierod ends be causing this? what do you guys think?

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Maybe the bushings are bad.

FS OEM BLAUPUNKT CD PLAYER (no mode)
FS OEM 330 AIRBOX + NEW AIR FILTER
FS 35W CANBUS BALLASTS (UMNITZA)
FS COMPLETE OEM LIGHTS: FRONT,CORNERS, REAR
FS PEAKE TOOL
FS 2001 LCM
P.M. me for anything you are interested.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Probably your rotors. my car does this too to some extent despite seemingly good tierods and control arms (no play detected when car up in the air and using pry-bar method on control arms) I have new CABs too. So I've narrowed it down to rotors or dirty/rusty rotor to hub sufrfaces

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Probably your rotors.
Even more likely if the problem is worse when the car is heavily loaded.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
jcns

My Ride: California
how many miles on the car?
does this happen at any particular speed? you mentioned that it happens when driving down the interstate.
does this happen only when braking?
where do you feel the vibration? on the steering wheel, on the car?
looks like you have aftermarket wheels. Did this happen right after you installed them? Is the right front wheel possibly bent?
When did you last do your rotors?
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
lmyamen

is definitely not the rotors they are relatively new and it doesn't happen only when braking . the wobble will happen if I hit a bump or when I'm going down the interstate or even at slow speeds on side roads. I also noticed after I stop at a stop light and let of the break I have a large clunk sound that happens like something is loose

Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
is definitely not the rotors they are relatively new and it doesn't happen only when braking . the wobble will happen if I hit a bump or when I'm going down the interstate or even at slow speeds on side roads. I also noticed after I stop at a stop light and let of the break I have a large clunk sound that happens like something is loose
The title of your post says your wheel wobbles when you brake.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
lmyamen

breaking is how it started but it's not just limited to that it's not a wobble like the rotors are going bad it's a suspension feeling wobble that happens the worst when I brake

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Mango

Quote:
breaking is how it started but it's not just limited to that it's not a wobble like the rotors are going bad it's a suspension feeling wobble that happens the worst when I brake
Then your control arm bushings are shot.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
jcns

Quote:
where do you feel the vibration/shaking? on the steering wheel or generally on the car?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Check your FCABs (bushings) they could have given out on the right side (which means your left will go out pretty soon also.)
So, jack up your front - get the weight off your front wheels - and see if you can pivot your wheel. If there is any movement rear-ward then it's a sure sign of bushing failure.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
lmyamen

Would that be apart of the control arm and ball joint units that I have already replaced or is that separate? The shaking is felt through the whole car and not just the steering wheel.

Last edited by lmyamen; 03-04-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
sounds like a control arm bushing issue. its the big silver thing at the end of the control arm, bolted to the body of the car
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
ok guys question for you, both my ball joints/control arms have been done with in the past 10k miles. I am trying to figure out what is causing this new issue. When I brake my front right wheel instantly starts wobbling like crazy and I can hear it like something is loose.

It was doing this only when braking but now its doing it when I hit a bump or even a small dip in the road. Like going down the interstate it will all the sudden just start doing it and the wobble/shake is horrible when it does.

Could tierod ends be causing this? what do you guys think?
Doublecheck the wheels tires before moving on.

Spin the wheels slowly and look for a flat spot on the rim...

Especially in the case where all of a sudden you don't feel safe at speed...wheels a good bet...as mentioned.

You're then clamping onto an unbalanced spinning mass...it'll shake worse...but still would be felt at lower speeds when not braking.

Check inside rim...much softer and easier to bend. And just coz a wheel balances, doesn't mean it's in balance. Also, if you only balance with weights in the centerline of wheel, you won't get as good a balance if you go on rims both inside and out as needed.

If flatspotted, swap to rear of car...and change pressure accordingly. Also check pressure now anyway!

Doug

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
jcns

as mentioned, check wheels and tires. Wheels for bends and tires for flat spots. Maybe some of the balance weights fell off the wheel(s)
Have you checked the steering rack bushings?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Probably the FCAB. My car tramlines on braking. I still have the factory FCABs. So they are the prime suspects.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 03-04-2011 at 06:13 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #17
323iINt.o

My Ride: 328i
could be control arms! If you replaced them with cheap FEBI than most likely its your culprit.

I put on those cheap arms and in 5k I got a hard wobble on the highway, so bad I was getting scared. As soon as I made it home - checked to see the outter ball joint had half an inch play in it! Than I made the switch to Myhle HD and so far so good.

NEED SMOKED CORNERS AND MARKERS, PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME!
323iINt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #18
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Maybe your wheel is bent.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
DJ Syxx

My Ride: BMW M3
sounds very much like FCAB, get those checked out.
DJ Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #20
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
OP,
Instead of guessing. Do the simple test that I mentioned above, it will give you (or at least eliminate) the possible cause. the FCABs (Front Control Arm Bushings) It is a known cause of the symptoms you are describing. Especially when you stated it started with when braking and it's just gotten worse.

Other possibilities as other members have stated:
1. damaged wheel (but, you would know that, if you hit a curb or speed bump badly.)
2. Failed hub/bearings (likely, if you hear a funky -yes, technical term- metal "hum" when you spin your brake rotors.) Do a Youtube search for bmw hub bearing noise.
3. bad tire (look for uneven tread wear - Remove wheel and look at the treads carefully for weird banning on inner or outer tread face.)
4. warped rotors (could happen - you'll need to remove the wheel and give it a spin, seem if it rubs against your calipers unevenly.)

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 03-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote