E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
mstasa

My Ride: "03 325i s. sport
2003 325i MAF

Hi, I recently bought a 2003 bmw 325i. Just recently the service engine light came on and i had the computer checked. The computer read that the car was running lean, both banks. I was told its the mass airflow sensor. i located the one mass airflow sensor coming from the air filter, but is there a second one somewhere since its saying both banks? I cleaned the one but i cannot tell if it worked bc the light is still on due to not finding the other? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
mstasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
cheungp

My Ride: e46,e91
O2 sensors have two banks
cheungp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
mstasa

ic, have you had any such problems?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
mstasa

would a dirty or bad o2 sensor cause the car to run lean. ?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
mstasa

I was driving today and i noticed on my way home that the light was service engine soon light was off. and i cleaned the maf sensor a week ago. What could be the reason for this? And is there anything you think could be wrong with my car? it seems to be running fine btw.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
welcher330xi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstasa View Post
Hi, I recently bought a 2003 bmw 325i. Just recently the service engine light came on and i had the computer checked. The computer read that the car was running lean, both banks. I was told its the mass airflow sensor. i located the one mass airflow sensor coming from the air filter, but is there a second one somewhere since its saying both banks? I cleaned the one but i cannot tell if it worked bc the light is still on due to not finding the other? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Your car only has one MAF sensor, located right after the air filter. Cleaning the MAF probably fixed the problem but it took a week for the code to clear itself by completing the necessary "driving cycles".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attaus View Post
Twice as much profit? Yeah, maybe in Canadian dollars.
welcher330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
cheungp

My Ride: e46,e91
O2 sensors are having their life span, since they will be heating up constantly to provide a true reading. So check with your mechanic when to replace them. MAF will be contaminated in the electrode. Dust collection between the electrode will throw a check engine light too. Be careful to clean it with particular solvent. I have it work without spending extra money in the dealership.
cheungp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
mstasa

Right, thanks guys. I plan on doing most of the work myself on the car. im 21, going to college and i bought it with my own money. so i plan on not spending too much by paying a mechanic. My father has an in-ground lift in his shop so i shouldnt have much trouble doing what i need to do to the car. I need to fix my lisence plate lights, prolly just going to buy a new assembly, and i think i may in the near future install a short shifter? Any suggestions of mods or certain ways to do things? thanks