E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
jiggz

My Ride: '05 ZHP & '12 X5 50i
Does OEM coolant/anti-freeze expire?

I have a gallon of OEM coolant from several years back, and I need to use it again (low coolant). The date on the bottom is 10/18/06.

Packaging or expiration date? Should I use it or just buy a new gallon?
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
Probably a packaging date. If it is clean/unused coolant, you should be fine. Coolant breaks down and gets dirty living in engines and radiators, not on shelves.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo330xi View Post
Probably a packaging date. If it is clean/unused coolant, you should be fine. Coolant breaks down and gets dirty living in engines and radiators, not on shelves.
You seem so sure, but chemicals DO break down over time. What do you base your answer on?

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Black_BMW

My Ride: e46 2002 facelift
I think it should be fine.. But if you're worried, you can call your dealer and see what they have to say about it..
Black_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
E-XLVI

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZPP/ZHP/ZCW
either buy new bottle or invest in a coolant glycol tester for $5-$10 at any auto parts shop or online.
E-XLVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
MindFK

My Ride: 330Ci
Yes

A bottle costs like 10 bucks. Dont be cheap or the car will eat you, your wallet and then take care of ur girlfriend.

Remember, this sucker comes from Germany. Remember their history? Lol
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I have a gallon of OEM coolant from several years back, and I need to use it again (low coolant). The date on the bottom is 10/18/06.

My limited experience is that the shelf life is very long, measured in tens of years. The service life is considerably shorter. You can use that coolant.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

DO NOT USE IT! Send it to me immediately for proper recycling. I'll even waive the hazardous disposal fee in exchange for you paying shipping.

Seriously, its fine, use it. Yes, certain anti-corrosion components will degrade while sitting on the shelf. But you'll be driving something else in the 20+ years it takes to do so.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote