E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
4stang6

My Ride: 03 BMW 325ci
2003 BMW 330ci - Power Steering Got Hard..

About 3 days ago the Steering in my got absolutley hard to turn.It feels like driving a car without power steering.Only time it does "somewhat" steer is whenever theres accerlation in the car.Im kind of curious of what it could be.Now im leaning towards the P/S pump just because i've checked the following...
1. made sure the P/S fluid is full
2. Lifted it up on a lift and checked for a P/S Leak, None found
3. Made sure the belt was intact.(belt had NO cracks either)
4. I also cranked up the car on, turned the steering wheel and of course was hard to turn,THEN i lifted up the front 2 wheels with a jack WHILE the car is on and then turned the wheel again and it turned almost close to normal feeling.

Those are the things i've done and checked.Only thing i have not done is ordered a P/S pump lol...Is their ANYTHING else it could be?
Any advice would be great,Thanks!
4stang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I think you've narrowed it down to the correct part, the PS pump.

Out of curiosity, how many miles on the car?

Paolo

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
With belt off, you should look at the pulley for the PS pump and also try to pull it out. If you can, then shaft has separated, and it's happened to quite a few here.

Also, some have noticed PS issues which were traced to another pulley...probably idler or tensioner hanging up...causing belt to hang up and not turn the PS pulley as much as it wants. So check all pulleys...spin them, and if they seem loose, they're bad. If they're hardly turning, they're also bad.

Although I don't think the condition of your fluid would matter a lot, if it's not a clear pink, you should flush it, or start turkey basting it out. I've seen PS fluid that looks like espresso, and am sure that's not good for long-term health of pump.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
4stang6

My Ride: 03 BMW 325ci
Car has 78,XXX ...
4stang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
chadlogan112

My Ride: 02' 325i
Send a message via AIM to chadlogan112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
With belt off, you should look at the pulley for the PS pump and also try to pull it out. If you can, then shaft has separated, and it's happened to quite a few here.

Also, some have noticed PS issues which were traced to another pulley...probably idler or tensioner hanging up...causing belt to hang up and not turn the PS pulley as much as it wants. So check all pulleys...spin them, and if they seem loose, they're bad. If they're hardly turning, they're also bad.

Although I don't think the condition of your fluid would matter a lot, if it's not a clear pink, you should flush it, or start turkey basting it out. I've seen PS fluid that looks like espresso, and am sure that's not good for long-term health of pump.

Doug
My thought's are the same as Dougs. Mine had this happen about 5k miles ago. After a while it started to make a humming noise when turned, and the pulled actually just pulled right off by hand. I just purchased a new pump and pulley assembly off ebay, was around $190 if I'm not mistaken.
chadlogan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
socalbeast

My Ride: 01 330ci
67 views and not 1 joke regarding the name of thread-

Got hard.

Today I am proud of you guys. I have seen raunchy jokes for less on this message board.
socalbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
wilcax

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbeast View Post
67 views and not 1 joke regarding the name of thread-

Got hard.

Today I am proud of you guys. I have seen raunchy jokes for less on this message board.
i came in this thread for the luls, found none.

19in. CSL's-H&R race-CSL carbon fiber trunk
wilcax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
jayx2

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcax View Post
i came in this thread for the luls, found none.
exactly why i clicked it

i was expecting.."thats what she said" jokes

Big Gulps Aye? ... Welp See Ya Lata

www.eemilitia.com
jayx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
stockmwk

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
socal ruined a good thing here. i like dougs idea though, sounds like a possibility
Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
destin325

My Ride: 2005 325i
hate to revive an old thread but my 2005 325i just had the same thing happen today. About 2 days ago when I pulled out of an intersection making a left, it felt hard for a brief second then ....fine. the car did jerk a little because I was pulling with pretty good force for that brief second. Fast forward to today, it just stopped working all together. The car feels like it has no power steering. I also checked the belt (fine); checked the reservoir, looks like some spilled out from under the cap but full. I am looking at ways to diagnose if it could be due to not being flushed since i have owned the car (looks like hot coco in the dark), possibly b/c its cold (its been a high of ~30 and hitting lows of ~1 or 2 deg). I figure it maybe the reservoir is clogged not supplying fluid (thinking optimistic) or unfortunate for me, a bad pump. Any way to diagnose this without having to put the car on a lift and removing belts?

thanks anyone that can help
destin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
wilcax

My Ride: 04 Coupe
it could be just the pump, but there are other items in the steering sytem that should be checked before throwing a pump on the car. first hows the fluid? is there a block in the flow of fluid movement? hows the rack? any visible leaks around seals? there is also a filter incorporated into the resorvoir, have you made sure its not plugged or blocking fluid flow?

19in. CSL's-H&R race-CSL carbon fiber trunk
wilcax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
destin325

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcax View Post
it could be just the pump, but there are other items in the steering sytem that should be checked before throwing a pump on the car. first hows the fluid? is there a block in the flow of fluid movement? hows the rack? any visible leaks around seals? there is also a filter incorporated into the resorvoir, have you made sure its not plugged or blocking fluid flow?
Not yet I havnt but thanks for the food for thought! I work from ~3pm to 11pm ish so when this happened on the way back from "lunch" at ~7pm my options were limited. Im using one of the only resources I have available at 11:35pm...I will have far better info if/when I continue to follow this thread tomorrow morning.
destin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Maceman

My Ride: 325i
How do you check the filter in the resorvior?
Maceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
I know this is an old thread but when the power steering simply goes out, it's usually a belt slipping. The tensioner is prolly in need of replacement. Power steering pumps don't just stop working. They can whine louder than a blower on a drag car but they'll still work - and work well. If the belt isn't slipping, then the problem lies in the rack.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Read the threads at the top. The shaft snaps off on the pumps. I've seen quite a few.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
dukemana

My Ride: bmw 325xi
Stiff steering problem

I have a 2003 BMW 325xi with 150,000miles on it and my steering wheel got stiff after i had the car towed to a workshop to get the radiator, mechanical fan and pump change. My first reaction was the dealer messed my car up or may be the towing had to do something .......

I initially replaced the power steering fluid (ATF) and it seemed to have improved a little bit (enough to not take it to a workshop). But after a month or so my steering got a lot lot stiffer. I have to put a lot of effort to make lane changes, and initially i have to jerk the steering to make it go my way, although once it starts rotating it seems to be smoother, that is until i have to make it straight again. One unusual behavior i have (compared to other posts\threads) is that i have to put in the same effort while parking or at high speed, also no loud knocking\cracking sound (although i hear a little squeaking sound when i start to turn the steering in the morning).

Need some advise on what could be wrong or what should i do to test it at home, Any tips are appreciated.

Last edited by dukemana; 05-03-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: content added
dukemana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
diosak

My Ride: BMW E46 316i
Power steering pump?
Also, how's your belt??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
diosak is offline   Reply With Quote