E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
mattrc51

My Ride: ///M3
Harman Kardon setup improvement

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing the blown tweeters in the M3. (thinking of going with BSW).

Once this is done, I wonder what would be the best upgrade to do on the system?

- Replace the actual amp / Better amp for the 6x9s ?
- Replace the 6x9s ?
- New head unit ?

It seems very hard to replace the head unit because its the HK setup. (Geez, my old Pioneer head unit produce better results in my Prelude than my current M setup!)

What do you guys think I should do ?
Is it true that the stock amp is not really pushing hard the subs in the rear?

Thanks
mattrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Search dude,..there is a ton of stuff on this very subject! You won't be disappointed......
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
dynavin dude.......
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
mattrc51

Yeah I'm just done reading http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/aud...1433274&page=2. Long but very informative post!
So I think I'll start by replacing those 6x9's first, and perhaps a new amp after if I'm still not satisfied.

I'm curious to hear what others have been doing ??
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
mattrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by harticus5 View Post
dynavin dude.......
Well am I missing something or putting a Dynavin HU is supposed to increase the quality of the sound? The only thing I could do is tweak the sound from the integrated EQ...
Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Although there is a section for audio, my biggest upgrade to the sound overall was getting an aftermarket HU (*see sig.). I added an amp and sub to the factory system and I'm happy with it...considering I came from a full system in my previous 330. Personally, when funds allow, I am going with BSW to replace the factory speakers. From my research, unless you are going for earth rattling sound, that is a great upgrade. I think they are still working on a factory amp replacement as well.

Also, with the proper adapter (I got everything from Crutchfield.com) install is extremely easy on a HU.

Last edited by bombguy; 12-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
For your midrange/tweeter, BSW will tell you they are the only option out there, but there is actually an alternative.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=speaker
Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
AnRman

My Ride: 2002 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrc51 View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of replacing the blown tweeters in the M3. (thinking of going with BSW).

Once this is done, I wonder what would be the best upgrade to do on the system?

- Replace the actual amp / Better amp for the 6x9s ?
- Replace the 6x9s ?
- New head unit ?

It seems very hard to replace the head unit because its the HK setup. (Geez, my old Pioneer head unit produce better results in my Prelude than my current M setup!)

What do you guys think I should do ?
Is it true that the stock amp is not really pushing hard the subs in the rear?

Thanks
Check out my mods page. All done and sounds amazing.
AnRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
For your midrange/tweeter, BSW will tell you they are the only option out there, but there is actually an alternative.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=speaker
Glad I re-checked this thread!! I may have to try out those speakers. Around $100 and I could have all new speakers up front! Hell, with that little cash, what do I have to lose?
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Glad it helped out....

Also, in case it's any further help to anyone, here are some other things I've done to my set up:

- Replaced all cabin speakers with MB Quart, except the midrange mentioned above and posted here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=speaker

- Replaced factory ski pass HK sub with a Kicker: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...55#post8404655

- Added a set of tweeters to help with clarity of sound when the convertible top is down: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=tweeter

Good luck!

Tags
audio