E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Finally solved engine code issue..P0170,P0173,P1188,P1189

Well I've had these codes for an year, I finally solved it.
P0170,P0173, P1188,P1189 they are all related to fuel system.

So I thought the problem was somewhere in fuel system, so I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, used seafoam, fuel system cleaner but nothing solved the problem.

Last week I finally replaced crankcase vent hose(part# 11611432559) with my friend's help, and surprise surprise. Codes never came back after I replaced it. I never thought it was the source of the problem!

I wanted to know why, so did some digging then I found this article.
http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...0173-m52tu-m54

Too bad they didnt post this article sooner lol

Anyway, for those who's suffering from those codes, see if there's a leak from crankcase vent system. If one of the hoses are damaged, replace it asap.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=11&fg=15
USually lots of people damage #2 hose during the engine work, that's what I replaced too.

Hope this tip was useful

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
golforcars325i

My Ride: 325i
Useful info............ bookmarked for when/if I need it. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
What normally accumulates in there?

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
noypi_nyc

My Ride: 328i e46, Escalade
i have the same codes. I am going to replace this. thanks!!!
noypi_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
AlpineWeiss325I

My Ride: 04 325I
did you have any noise coming from the area like it was sucking air or air leak?
AlpineWeiss325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
mack89

I'm glad it was helpful to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrellajon View Post
What normally accumulates in there?

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp
Well I have no knowledge of CCV system, but as far as I know it circulates the engine oil..I'm going to look into this system someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWeiss325I View Post
did you have any noise coming from the area like it was sucking air or air leak?
Yes I've had some weird noise. It's hard to explain, whenever rpm reaches 3-4k, it used to make some noise like old truck(not the loud exhaust)..Probably caused by sucking air or leaking air from broken part of CCV hose.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
I'm

Well I have no knowledge of CCV system, but as far as I know it circulates the engine oil..I'm going to look into this system someday

On each compression and power stroke of your engine blowby gasses get past piston rings (unavoidable even in the best conditions). The CCV is designed to route these vaporous hydrocarbons (fuel) back into your intake system (through the PCV Valve) where they are burned along with the fuel injected by the injectors. Without the CCV system pressures would continue to build in the crankcase causing drag on the reciprocating motion of your pistons. Also and more importantly when you would shut down your engine with these HC vapours in your crankcase will condense and and mix with the fuel causing decreased lubricating properties in the oil.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
mack89

^Excellent I appreciate it man!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
pj86

My Ride: 2001 330i
was the hose visibly damaged? or did you have to get it off to see a problem?
pj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
mack89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj86 View Post
was the hose visibly damaged? or did you have to get it off to see a problem?
Yes it was completely broken :headbang: I broke it while I was replacing CPS intake sensor..
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
hendrich

My Ride: 01' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to hendrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
Yes it was completely broken :headbang: I broke it while I was replacing CPS intake sensor..
This is just how I broke mine. I have the hose but how hard is it to replace?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
CCV and it's extremities are usually the issue with most problems on here. It should already be known that it should be the first thing to be checked. I sound like a broken record broken record broken record broken record.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
323iINt.o

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
On each compression and power stroke of your engine blowby gasses get past piston rings (unavoidable even in the best conditions). The CCV is designed to route these vaporous hydrocarbons (fuel) back into your intake system (through the PCV Valve) where they are burned along with the fuel injected by the injectors. Without the CCV system pressures would continue to build in the crankcase causing drag on the reciprocating motion of your pistons. Also and more importantly when you would shut down your engine with these HC vapours in your crankcase will condense and and mix with the fuel causing decreased lubricating properties in the oil.
The CCV can also get stuck in a OPEN situation resulting in oil being dumped into the intake manifold potentially hydro-locking your engine. Mine fortunelty got stuck closed so it built up so much pressure it blew out the valve cover gasket.

I replaced the CCV and VC gasket and all is well. The DIY is a total pain in the a55 (will never do it again, would prefer to pay a mechanic to do it), but glad its over.

NEED SMOKED CORNERS AND MARKERS, PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME!
323iINt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #14
gsbmw

My Ride: 2000 323i
Hose #4 on the realoem.com diagram above also breaks from oil and torsion fatigue.

Easy fix. This post has pictures: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551
gsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
chorizo

My Ride: E3SIXXX///
is this too latem to contact you guys i got those codes ?
can i swap a 3.0 out of a bmw 2002 325 into a 1997 528 series
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
TheViking777

My Ride: BMW
I had the same 4 codes for my 97 BMW 528i - P0173, P0170, P1189, P1188, my smok check failed big time because of this.

And this was the problem, it was a oil intake hose that was broken that connects to the base of the oil dip stick. Reach along the whole length of the hose, mine was not visible from the top of the engine like the one depicted in the pictures at this link

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

Picture of hoses - mine was hose 4

As a second option:

Some say this boot can cause the same set of error codes although mine didn't have this problem.

http://blog.bavauto.com/5960/bmw-e46...173-m52tu-m54/

or

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=799653
TheViking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
gon2srf

My Ride: 323i
Rough idle and OBD codes after cooling system overhaul

My first post here on the forum so I am hoping I follow protocol and it goes well. I am not starting a new thread based on what I have read on the FAQ's, I am sure I will soon find out if this is preferred.

Briefly I am a DIY type of person doing my own engine rebuilds and fabrication mainly on Toyota trucks old and new, vintage VW's and Corvairs. Also do some home construction, plumbing and electrical and find with patience and others wisdom I can solve most problems without the cost of a professional.

I bought my daughter a nice looking, high mileage 2001 323i wagon last year. It started running warmer and blew an upper hose recently. Being 19 and not really thinking she drove it back home several miles with the temp gauge more than likely pinned but to my surprise she made it back without blowing the motor.

After changing the oil and filter, I purchased a cooling system kit from Bavarian Autosport and replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank and sensors. Also picked up the Bentley manual.

The install went well and the car drove great on the test run, the temps look great.

Next day by daughter takes it for a spin and comes back saying it is stalling and idling terribly.

My Scangauge pulls OBD codes P0170,P0173, P1188, P1189 and P1250.

I have read several threads on the cause and effect of the these codes but I have not found if these codes can be triggered by a bad plug/coil?

If so should I check those first or should I go straight for a smoke/pressure/vacuum/MAF test, it's likely there was something or I likely cracked or broke during the cooling system overhaul?

Saw the following in this thread and found it very interesting and the reason I posted here. Thanks so much.

Quote:
Finally solved engine code issue..P0170,P0173,P1188,P1189
Well I've had these codes for an year, I finally solved it.
P0170,P0173, P1188,P1189 they are all related to fuel system.

So I thought the problem was somewhere in fuel system, so I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, used seafoam, fuel system cleaner but nothing solved the problem.

Last week I finally replaced crankcase vent hose(part# 11611432559) with my friend's help, and surprise surprise. Codes never came back after I replaced it. I never thought it was the source of the problem!

I wanted to know why, so did some digging then I found this article.
http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...0173-m52tu-m54

Too bad they didnt post this article sooner lol

Anyway, for those who's suffering from those codes, see if there's a leak from crankcase vent system. If one of the hoses are damaged, replace it asap.

USually lots of people damage #2 hose during the engine work, that's what I replaced too.

Hope this tip was useful

Last edited by gon2srf; 01-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.
gon2srf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You should also read the first 2 links below in my signature, covers some very common problems.

Check the Long Term Fuel Trims at both warm idle and steady cruise between 45-60 MPH.

They typically should run between 0% and +2.5%, anything above +2.5% should be checked into, anything above about +10% will trigger lean codes.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #19
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gon2srf View Post
I bought my daughter a nice looking, high mileage 2001 323i wagon last year. It started running warmer and blew an upper hose recently. Being 19 and not really thinking she drove it back home several miles with the temp gauge more than likely pinned but to my surprise she made it back without blowing the motor.

After changing the oil and filter, I purchased a cooling system kit from Bavarian Autosport and replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank and sensors. Also picked up the Bentley manual.

The install went well and the car drove great on the test run, the temps look great.

Next day by daughter takes it for a spin and comes back saying it is stalling and idling terribly.

My Scangauge pulls OBD codes P0170,P0173, P1188, P1189 and P1250.

I have read several threads on the cause and effect of the these codes but I have not found if these codes can be triggered by a bad plug/coil?

If so should I check those first or should I go straight for a smoke/pressure/vacuum/MAF test, it's likely there was something or I likely cracked or broke during the cooling system overhaul?

Saw the following in this thread and found it very interesting and the reason I posted here. Thanks so much.
Wow, that was a close call, overheating could've ruined the engine!

As far as the codes, I would replace the CCV system, it's a common problem and it's probably original.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
gon2srf

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Wow, that was a close call, overheating could've ruined the engine!

As far as the codes, I would replace the CCV system, it's a common problem and it's probably original.
Thank you. I think I saw a link somewhere for a complete kit, I'll check it out.
gon2srf is offline   Reply With Quote