E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Question Can You Determine The Age or Installation Date Of The OEM BMW Battery?

Are there any markings anywhere on the OEM BMW Battery to let us know the make date or installation date?

I think the OEM BMW Battery in my car has been there since the car left the factory in Germany back in August 2001.

But I'm not sure because I never heard of any OEM car Battery lasting more than 5 or 6 years.

When I bought the car in September 2008 the original owner before me had only driven it 37,000 miles in a period of 7 years.

Even though the car was pristine and well maintained would there be the slightest of chances that he replaced the battery during that time of 7 years with another OEM battery.

Are there any markings anywhere on the OEM BMW Battery to let us know the make date or installation date?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I don't know about any markings, but I will say that I am still on my original factory battery from March 2002. I'm in a mild climate and it's a low mileage car if that makes a difference. I suppose I'm an exception, but it's 8.5 years and still going strong.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

I think the OEM BMW Battery in my car has been there since the car left the factory in Germany back in August 2001.

But I'm not sure because I never heard of any OEM car Battery lasting more than 5 or 6 years.

When I bought the car in September 2008 the original owner before me had only driven it 37,000 miles in a period of 7 years.

Even though the car was pristine and well maintained would there be the slightest of chances that he replaced the battery during that time of 7 years with another OEM battery.

Of course there's a chance that's what he did, Del...but I also know the battery has to have a date stamp somewhere on it...has to. Might find some code to punch into the interweb to check...otherwise, pull her out and check.

But, in any case...for $100...and for all the issues batteries gone bad cause us...cheap insurance...you can get non-oem with more cca for 1/3 the cost. Think I have an autozone one...perfect fit (49DL? I'm vaguely remembering)...put that in 4 years ago...and in another year or two...or at first sign of any elect. issue...new battery.

Think of it like an ET...just replace it whenever you start thinking about it!

BTW, Del...you maybe want to attend my e46seminar and share some of all you've learned? Would be great to meet you personally!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Of course there's a chance that's what he did, Del...but I also know the battery has to have a date stamp somewhere on it...has to. Might find some code to punch into the interweb to check...otherwise, pull her out and check.
Yeah I was wondering if it was worth the hassle of disconnecting everything. Knowing what I know about BMW I'm pretty sure the OEM battery is bare with no markings beyond a parts number.

Quote:
But, in any case...for $100...and for all the issues batteries gone bad cause us...cheap insurance...you can get non-oem with more cca for 1/3 the cost. Think I have an autozone one...perfect fit (49DL? I'm vaguely remembering)...put that in 4 years ago...and in another year or two...or at first sign of any elect. issue...new battery.

Think of it like an ET...just replace it whenever you start thinking about it!
Those Battery thread revivals got me thinking...lol.

Quote:
BTW, Del...you maybe want to attend my e46seminar and share some of all you've learned? Would be great to meet you personally!

Doug
Hey Doug...when and where? PM me.
I believe you live near Fort Lee correct? I drive through there time to time when I go to Campmor or IKEA.
I used to live in Weehawkin (04 to 06) right on the river off Kennedy.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
OEM BMW batteries have a date code stamped on top of the negative terminal in XX/XX (week/year) format.
eg: 25/02 = 25th week of 2002.

if your battery does not have it there, it may have been produced before BMW started stamping the codes on the neg. terminal so check the sides for the date code punched in the plastic case.

here is a pic with the date code stamped on top of the neg. terminal

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer

Last edited by iansanderson; 08-28-2010 at 11:20 PM.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
See my comment on the 'fest. But yes, besides the negative terminal there is a date stamp at the bottom of the battery case. (You have to remove the battery and look underneath to see it)

Quote:
My lasted 8 years. Hope the Wallmart's battery will last at least half of that...
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Well, now you have heard. My factory battery is 6.5 years old. There was only a slight hesitation starting up at the depth of winter last year. My estimate is that it will last two more winters.

There's no real need to replace the battery like a dumbass before it starts to fail. You will normally get a couple of weeks of notice. People knowing little of cars wouldn't know this and would make random suggestions and do idiot seminars to buy cheap parts.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 08-29-2010 at 06:12 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Well, now you have heard. My factory battery is 6.5 years old. There was only a slight hesitation starting up at the depth of winter last year. My estimate is that it will last two more winters.

There's no real need to replace the battery like a dumbass before it starts to fail. You will normally get a couple of weeks of notice. People knowing little of cars wouldn't know this and would make random suggestions and do idiot seminars to buy cheap parts.
My oem battery went without notice, during winter time. Insufficiant CCA's. Testing the battery and preventative maintenance doesn't make anyone a dumbass. After 5 years any battery is subjective to insufficiant CA's to start a vehicle if the conditions are right. Better safe than sorry.
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Our 03' is still on it's original battery...occasionally it's hard to start in cold mornings... I should probably change it out soon..didn't realize how old the battery was and I even helped some one jump start the other day..
Old 08-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2014 435I Msport
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
OEM BMW batteries have a date code stamped on top of the negative terminal in XX/XX (week/year) format.
eg: 25/02 = 25th week of 2002.

if your battery does not have it there, it may have been produced before BMW started stamping the codes on the neg. terminal so check the sides for the date code punched in the plastic case.

here is a pic with the date code stamped on top of the neg. terminal

Beat me to it.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
delmarco

Quote:

GoingNuts I love you man, but you one crazy dude!

You remind me of Ted Nugent in Beer For My Horses.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
Quote:

Eh that's not always the case, i've had two batts on two diffrent cars fail without warning on me in the past year.

How ever, from what i read about e46 batts. things tend to go haywire right beofre it dies, so hopefully that is enough warning for me & I don't get stuck somewhere again. Ay least I can push start it if it does fail.....we can push start the Manuals, right?
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Just under 4 years since my original was replaced (at 6 years old), and my new OEM battery died! Not cool. I've jump started lots of cars for other people, run inverters off of it, the works (all while the alternator is running, of course)...I guess no good deed goes unpunished Well, let's see how long an autozone battery lasts, I suppose!
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
My original battery went 7 years before it expired.

Living in the Arizona desert, it can get pretty hot - I think the life of the battery is greatly extended by having it in the trunk, rather than the engine bay.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:

Goingnuts, your comments are always top notch. No idea where you come up with this stuff. No idea what you mean about seminars and cheap parts. We're talking about batteries here.

Seriously - there are alot of factors that contribute to a battery's lifespan. Temperature fluctuations. Moisture. Build quality. Vibrations. Do not expect that it'll go peacefully and not all-of-a-sudden when you're out on a long stretch of highway with an attractive woman in the passenger seat.

Have them test the battery under load. Best way to tell.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
delmarco

I saw this White OEM beauty today at the local mom and pops auto store.

Fresh delivery with a SEPT 2010 STAMP!

They want $129 w/ a 64 month FULL WARRANTY/REPLACEMENT in addition to the 8 year/3year warranty from Exide (based on the principle that the battery is guaranteed to last 8 years and beyond.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
delmarco

bump...for clydesdale

Last edited by delmarco; 12-05-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
Goingnuts, your comments are always top notch. No idea where you come up with this stuff. No idea what you mean about seminars and cheap parts. We're talking about batteries here.

Seriously - there are alot of factors that contribute to a battery's lifespan. Temperature fluctuations. Moisture. Build quality. Vibrations. Do not expect that it'll go peacefully and not all-of-a-sudden when you're out on a long stretch of highway with an attractive woman in the passenger seat.

Have them test the battery under load. Best way to tell.
My battery is coming up to 7 years old now. I didn't drive the car for a week and the car froze on the driveway in the winter cold of around -4C. It started with a tiny hesitation, no worst than last year. The life for the battery is now expected to be at least 9 years. I still see no reason to test.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
keeping the battery away from the engine heat makes all the difference. Mine is original 200.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
Gordo_GT

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Is there a difference between an oem BMW battery and the autozone/walmart battery besides the branding? I went to the dealer for some warranty work and they quoted me like$ 450 for a battery.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp