E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
kmyles

My Ride: 01' 325i
Rough idle with no codes!

So I've been experiencing a pretty rough shaking at idle for a little while now. I went to auto zone and got the codes read, and the only one that came up was one telling me my coolant was low. Any ideas what could be going on? I've searched and found things about intake boot causing similar problems. Also I just changed my spark plugs about 10k miles ago.
kmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
bumere46

My Ride: E92
clean the throttle, ICV, check the DISA valve, Maff sensor, elbow intake boot.
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
kylek283

My Ride: 04 330i SMG
Isn't this related to vanos problems? I'm pretty sure updating your cars software will cover the symptoms but rebuilding your vanos will fix the problem all together. Don't take my word on that as I have never done it myself, hopefully someone else can confirm or correct me.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
mkodama

Well, getting the actual BMW Diagnosis codes are usually a whole lot better than the generic, government mandated OBD2 codes.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
kmyles

^^So would I have to get them read at the dealership then?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmyles View Post
^^So would I have to get them read at the dealership then?
Most independent BMW specific shops have the ability to read BMW specific codes and will do so for a small fee or occasionally free. Dealerships and some high end independent BMW service places have a GT1 or other computer based code reader that can give you both BMW specific codes and a full readout of every little fault and oddity the ECU records, and they usually charge a slightly higher fee.

I know the BMW specific codes have been very helpful to me, since that was how I found out I had a broken thermostat.

Another option if you like working on your car might be to buy a basic BMW specific code reader: http://www.bimmertools.com/category-s/51.htm

Last edited by mkodama; 08-17-2010 at 03:54 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
Start with the easy stuff, checking hoses and your lower boot. See if cleaning the ICV changes anything. Any loss in power or anything strange while driving?
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Based on nothing more than the info you have provided:

Best case scenario - your motor mounts need to be replaced.
Worst case scenario - blown head gasket accounting for coolant leak and rough idle.

And there's probably another 100 things that could be wrong in between these 2 extremes....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
clean the throttle, ICV, check the DISA valve, Maff sensor, elbow intake boot.

This.

Start with cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve. There are several tutorials on this forum. That fixed my problem and I had roughly the same thing.

After that, the ICV or DISA valve could use checking.

This is not the Vanos, becuase that is only effects idle in cold tempuratures, and its the middle of the summer.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Toad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Based on nothing more than the info you have provided:

Best case scenario - your motor mounts need to be replaced.
Worst case scenario - blown head gasket accounting for coolant leak and rough idle.

And there's probably another 100 things that could be wrong in between these 2 extremes....
WTF is wrong with you. Horrible advice, and 4k posts?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
miyata

My Ride: 2005 330 XI
#2 is the best answer, or least erase most of continuous rattling. After cleaning them up, I notice significant smooth idling. Only a suddenly rattle once (just one) in couple days during traffic waiting, not sure what's it but doesn't bother me.
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
WTF is wrong with you. Horrible advice, and 4k posts?
You get what you pay for.

In all seriousness, I offered zero "advice". I was merely pointing out that there is a very wide range of possibilities for the symptoms presented. If someone wants more than simple random guesses as to the cause of their problem, they need to provide more info than simply "I have a vibration at idle... and some random generic OBDII code" (which may or may not be current or accurate).
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 08-17-2010 at 05:30 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Toad21

Quote:

In all seriousness, I offered zero "advice". I was merely pointing out that there is a very wide range of possibilities for the symptoms presented. If someone wants more than simple random guesses as to the cause of their problem, they need to provide more info than simply "I have a vibration at idle... and some random generic OBDII code" (which may or may not be current or accurate).
Ah so your subtle yet extreme levels of sarcasm are hard to comprehend when in the written form.

While you are right, there are literally 100's of things that could cause the OP's symptoms.

That being said, there is a 50-80% likely hood its the throttle body and idle control valve just need a cleanin.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I always have great luck with irratic idle by just cleaning the maf sensor.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=335561

"I catch you in my dreams, just me and you. But you seem confused, I'm not trying to break the rules.
So why do you feel the way that you do? So why do you feel the way that you do?"

2014 LA Autoshow FB Gallery
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
Quote:

You just made me flacid.
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
kmyles

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look into the disa, icv, throttle body, etc.. hopefully cleaning those up will help.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmyles View Post
So I've been experiencing a pretty rough shaking at idle for a little while now. I went to auto zone and got the codes read, and the only one that came up was one telling me my coolant was low. Any ideas what could be going on? I've searched and found things about intake boot causing similar problems. Also I just changed my spark plugs about 10k miles ago.
What plugs did you use...the appropriate NGK or Bosch I hope?

I know icv/tb are prolly implicated in a surging idle and might be for a rough idle too...but I like the MAF idea, just clean with maf cleaner...easy to do.

Also, since you haven't said anything beyond you did the plugs...you do air filter (aftermarket or OE?)...fuel filter...try Techron injector cleaner (truth...I though clogged injectors or maybe coil going bad...you sure you're running on all 6 cylinders...you maybe hear a sputtering when you accelerate? (coil/plug/injector).

Try taking it out for a hard long drive too...and if you haven't done this yet, might also just disconnect the battery (works magic for many issues)...and doesn't cost anything to try (though might not work...we're all guessing...as we don't have your car in front of us).

If the engine is rough, then that would be attenuated if motor mounts were bad...and at that point, trans mounts are prolly bad too...but I'm thinking that you're thinking mostly engine related, so can prolly wait on mounts for now.

Ah, you use premium gas or just get it from various local places...you can get bad gas that clogs not only filter but potentially injectors too...the holes in injectors are really small you know!

Oh, finally, although one poster acknowledged your potential leaking coolant...none has specifically said to fill to between min and max on the dipstick...I assume you did that already...and hope you did fill it up so the top bubble is all the way up, without making sure that it was 'just' all the way up. Once you fill to max, you can keep adding coolant and it'll still read max...but it's over max at that point and too high.

Check pulleys and belts too...perhaps you do have a leak (as opposed to you just haven't checked coolant in two years and it just lost very little over a long time)...or it may indeed be low from a leak, which leak might have soaked your belt and so at idle you'd not be getting a strong enough connection with things that want that connection with belts...failing tensioner, or frankly any pulley with failing bearings would undoubtedly send a 'roughness' through the engine.

No roughness at all when driving...no sputtering?

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
kmyles

Wow thanks for that write up doug, I'm going to start with the maf, icv and so on, and if those don't resolve the issue I'll definitely refer back to your post. As for the sputtering when accelerating, no I don't have any of that, I know how that can be from when I changed my spark plugs. Which I replaced with ngk's. Can't get too thorough into this at the moment as I'm replying from my phone, but I'll keep this updated.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
kmyles

So yesterday I went ahead and cleaned the ICV, Disa and Throttle body. None of that fixed the issue. The past few days ive experienced a pretty sharp lack of power at certain points. Friday night I was merging onto the highway and tried to accelerate, it just revved to about 4k but I only got to about 50 mph and that was with very slow acceleration. I've been reading more into it today, could fuel filter be a possibility? The RPM's have been dropping from 1k to 500 and anywhere in between.

Here are a few videos that can hopefully better explain the issue...********

Last edited by kmyles; 09-21-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
rka976

My Ride: '04 325Ci - Step
I took my car to the dealership (was under warranty til Sept. 18, 2010) and complained about a rough idle. They said it was the "hooter valve and hoses" that needed to be replaced. They did and no more rough idle. Dunno if it helps or makes sense. Just passing on my experience.

Tags
idle, rough, shaking