E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
swedrick2003

My Ride: e46 320i M Sport
Question Voice Command not working on Bluetooth Prep

Hi there,

I have a 2004 320ci M Sport bought here in the U.K.

It came with "Bluetooth Prep". I have paired up my iPhone with it and i have all the expected functionality apart from voice command dialling?

This manual...

http://www.e38.org/BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf

...suggests that holding the "Face" icon down should result in an audible beep, which you can then use your voice commands. However, when i try this it just dials the last person i called, there is no audible beep to be heard.

The other manual attached also details the same.

Does anyone know whats going on or how to resolve this?

Cheers in advance
Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ULFOwnerManual.pdf (489.6 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by swedrick2003; 07-15-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added extra manual
swedrick2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
enzo_the_baker

My Ride: 328Ci, 328iC, X3
On my X3, hitting the face button once redials the last number, but holding it down for a second or two yields the voice command beep. Maybe you're not holding it down long enough?

2000 328Ci Steptronic
Original Engine & Transmission
Original Transmission Fluid
15K Oil Changes
So there!
enzo_the_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi (SOLD)
if you have iPhone 3G, it won't voice dial. I think you need 3GS for that.
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Your phone needs to have the voice dial function for it to work with handsfree bluetooth and as stated above, only the iPhone 3GS supports voice dialling and even then it does not work very well with most handsfree systems.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
swedrick2003

My Ride: e46 320i M Sport
I have the iPhone 4. It lets me voice dial when i double tap the square button as you can give it any voice command like "dial Mummy" for instance!! all this can be heard through the car. I just cant get it to operate through the steering wheel face button. I have tried different combinations of holding it down from 2 seconds to 10 seconds, nothing seems to activate it.??

Any more clues....?

Cheers in advance.
swedrick2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Vince.ie

My Ride: BMW e46 saloon
Send a message via AIM to Vince.ie
Hi i have an E46 first registeration April 2004. Im having the same issues as you, only with a Nokia 6151
My BMW dealer said that model did not have voice command, it was first made available on the newer version (e90) after late 2005.
However it is available as an expensive retrofit through BMW.
I also here that the 10th and 11th and 12th generation TCU will give the voice command option but i have yet to confirm this, maybe one of our members know.
For your information the details are.. 84106980130 end of life11/06. 10th generation or 84109133329 end of life 1/07 11th generation or 84109145007 current production 12 generation, Programming by BMW is required.
Vince.ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Vince.ie

My Ride: BMW e46 saloon
Send a message via AIM to Vince.ie
I found out today from BMW UK that the 2004 e46 voice command module was only available as a factory fitted option, and although they offered a retro fit option it was not fully tested.
They could not recomend any option in this regard, and they even ruled out a salvaged unit from a newer car as their would be incompatable wireing and programming issues, as every model had its own dna.
If you have any success let me know.
Vince.ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
According to this:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84781

it may be possible the voice control module is not installed, even though both phone preparation and bluetooth are there. An easy way to check is to look under the trunk trim for an unconnected blue plug. The cost of the voice module is simply too expensive to be worth it, unless for someone who calls out alot from the car.

I especially purchased a nokia 6300 to use in my car. My voice command button doesn't work either. One possible solution is to use the voice command on the phone itself to dial out. It's less convinient but better than nothing. I am still debating with myself whether to buy a BMW snap in cradle for the phone. To use the the voice dial with the cradle, I would have to lift the central arm rest and feel for the dedicated voice dial button. This doesn't seem terrible.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote