E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
vincephan

My Ride: is in question
Exclamation Theoretical Discussion : 2JZ/1JZ Engine Swap

Hi everybody, I am completely aware this will be a controversial project and I completely understand if its "not your thing", but please, keep this thread on topic and lets keep it a technical and mature thread.

So I'm sure a lot of you guys are aware that 2JZ swaps have been getting more popular, a few have popped up on the web and I'm sure I'm not the only/first person to ask some questions about this...

Well, I'm talking to a guy named "Munna Rangam". He's one of the first to accomplish this swap. According to him, he was able to keep all creature comforts aside from cruise control and traction control. He used a piggy back Apexi S_afc2 unit to control the engine.

I plan on eventually doing the same swap but with a 1JZ, I like the shorter stroke = higher revving and because its lighter than the 2JZ. According to Munna, the JZ could be relocated much further behind the crossmember and isn't too much heavier than any other BMW I6.

Hopefully a 1JZ E46 could be a poor man's M3. What do you guys think?

I'll be honest, I won't start this any time soon, so yes... this IS a thread just to test the waters.

If any of you guys happen to have some more info regarding the swap or feel you have some good input, please feel free to add. Thanks guys!

[EDIT] Just in case you guys haven't seen already...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&id=728588064

and...

/

Last edited by vincephan; 04-09-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added links and videos.
vincephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
nowerelsetoroam

My Ride: E46,740i
Send a message via MSN to nowerelsetoroam
does it have to be a 1jz or 2jz engine?

Swicthed from
a 323 to a 740
nowerelsetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
vincephan

Well, no... It doesn't. I'm trying to find a way to build a poor man's M3. And in my opinion, the 1JZ seems to be one of the better candidates for an engine swap. I know many of you guys would prefer an M5 V8 or an LS series engine due to the cool factor or the better aftermarket/less weight with the LS. But at the moment, 1JZ motorsets with an R154 transmission (rated up to 700 horses, easily) could be found for around 2.5k. You simply can't find any other engines around that price level.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
nowerelsetoroam

what kind of car ya got?

Swicthed from
a 323 to a 740
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
vincephan

I'm in the process of looking for a clean E46 Coupe, no sunroof, black/black interior in my area (under 8K) to eventually do the swap on. I haven't had any luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
nowerelsetoroam

what if ya got a 330 and supercharge??

Swicthed from
a 323 to a 740
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
vincephan

I find it unoriginal and it would never have the potential of a 1JZ-powered E46. In the long run, I think that the 1JZ would allow one to be more flexible with their horsepower goals. But that's just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincephan View Post
I find it unoriginal and it would never have the potential of a 1JZ-powered E46. In the long run, I think that the 1JZ would allow one to be more flexible with their horsepower goals. But that's just my opinion.
Unoriginal? Your putting a toyota engine in a bmw. I prefer a built BMW engine, an S54 or supercharger.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
vincephan

I have a feeling you don't quite necessarily understand what "unoriginal" means. Yes, I'm talking about putting a Toyota engine in a BMW. Is that lacking originality? How many people do you know have a JZ engine in their BMW? Many people have built their engines, swapped in an S54, or supercharged their car. That's great for you if you fall into this category.

I think with the money spent you could make more power using a 1JZ. It takes close to twenty grand in order to make 518 horses on an M3 using the HPF kit.

It would probably take 6 grand at most in order to make the same amount of power with a 1JZ.

The E46 isn't going to be hindered by the 1JZ, in fact, it may be the other way around. Is your almighty E46 chassis going to be able to handle the power the 1JZ produces? Probably not unless you reinforce the rear subframe.

Be open minded, the 1JZ is more than deserving enough to be thrown into an E46.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
xcesspower

My Ride: 2003 m3 convertable
Although that is a good idea and i would someday like to put a 2jzgte in my e46 m3 realize that the 2.5k engines are without transmitions and those are not cheap. Also it will take you forever to change the engines or you could pay someone to do it but by that point your way over 6k. Your going to have a realy hard time finding a 330 for 8k in good shape. also the resale value will more than likely go down because who wants to buy someone elses toy? not to mention the price of the parts to make the engine high horespower. Its a good idea but not enough thought behind it OR maybe its because your on a BMW forum. Good luck. if it works out be sure to post videos(:
xcesspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
i want
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ

With Nos

...Im sorry, i just couldn't resist lol.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 04-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
vincephan

@ xcesspower

I've been able to find many 1JZ motorsets that come along with an R154 transmission for under 2300, actually. All these places are reputable and many people have bought from them with nothing but good comments.

http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine...-engine-swap--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-S...Q5fAccessories

http://www.jdmsource.ca/v2/product.asp?ID=24

http://www.jspecauto.com/catalog_pro...px?prod_id=712

With all said and done, this swap could very well be done for under 6 grand. I'm currently gathering information from a Supra forum as well. If I'm able to find a clean E46 car and gather all the necessary information I need, electrical being the hardest, I'll go ahead and attempt the swap.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #14
xcesspower

My Ride: 2003 m3 convertable
Dont forget shipping and also do you have all the tools and lifts and everything to do the swap yourself?
xcesspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
M3kka
Banned

My Ride: Another Make Vehicle
Not meaning to hijack your thread OP but I was looking up S54 swaps for my auto 328 sedan. I called the company who offered the deal and the guy said everything including making it a 6spd and labor would run me approximately $10,000. While on youtube, I noticed the 2JZ swapped into an E46 bmw (these engines have been swapped into a lot of different cars by the way). So I'm sorta in the same boat as the OP, but then again after driving my boys JB3 335 for 2 weeks, while he was on vacation, I'm torn between the two. Research more on this swap and execute it or just get the 335.

I'm definitely subscribed to this thread tho.
M3kka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
TopazXi

My Ride: 02' 325xi Sport Pack
Having worked on a supra for 3 years with a friend of mine, I can tell you that the 2jz is very capable of revving high, and making much more power than a 1jz.

Here is a pic of what we did... 4276r, pro-efi, 280cams. It made 680whp on pump gas, and 930 on a race gas.

Im not sure what exactly your plans would be for your swap, but thats a good idea of what kind of numbers you can make with a 2j. My only concern would be the harness, what did the guy you in the video do about his factory harness and the one for the 2j? Did he splice the two together, or completely transfer the supra harness over?
TopazXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
TopazXi

My Ride: 02' 325xi Sport Pack
Funny this thread just popped up on supraforums.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...04#post7529104
TopazXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post

With Nos

...Im sorry, i just couldn't resist lol.
lol nice! Could you somehow work in a Beyonce?

Good luck with the swap. Reminds me of the E36 with an S2000 engine I saw on the Top Motoring series.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
vincephan

I had a change on heart regarding this swap. I wanna keep my smog legal and the only way I could do that is if I swap in an engine of the same or newer model year as well as it already belonging in a vehicle offered in the US... so I'll have to resort to an LS engine.

I'm still undecided, to be honest, this is a very complicated project and it'll require so more thought into it. If anything does happen. I will be sure to post updates. Sorry guys! Good thing that other JZ BMW can keep you occupied for the moment. Thanks for the support and help.