E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
audio1200

My Ride: 325ci 2004
How do you turn off harman kardon Auto Volume ?

when i'm driving as the engine get's louder the volume of the harman kardon stereo goes up and down to compensate for noise.

Does anybody know how to turn this off?

The car is a bmw e46 2004 coupe with sat nav and harman kardon factory stereo.
audio1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
It is in the Wikki. But I took the trouble copying it here.

Changing speed sensitive volume control

[edit]On cars without NAV

First, don't be driving while doing this procedure.
Turn the radio off then on again. Dont touch any button except the 'm' button - the button you use to tune the radio frequency manually. Press and hold the 'm' button for TEN seconds or until the display changes. IIRC, it shows the serial number of the unit. Normally when you press 'm', the display will reflect that by replacing 'ST' (stereo tuning) with 'm'. When holding the 'm' button for this procedure, the display should not do this - you will continue to see 'ST' for the ten seconds.
Now if the display has changed, you are in a configure mode on the radio. If you press the '+' or '-' button you change modes. The mode you want will display as "GAL (1-6)". This mode allows you to adjust the speed-sensitive volume control. Use the radio preset buttons 1-6 to set the amount of volume change you want at speed. Setting 1 is the smallest change, 6 is the highest.
I use 1 with the windows closed, and 4 when it's a nice day and I drive with the windows open which makes for a lot of ambient noise at speed. The car is so quiet with the windows closed that setting 1 is plenty. On my car the default setting from the factory was 3 and it bugged me too.
Then turn the radio OFF to save the settings. Turn it back on and go for a drive to test it. The other semi-useful test mode will tell you the signal strength of any give station from 0 to 15 (highest). Use the preset buttons to change stations in the mode. This capability is probably used in the automatic tuning funtion in the radio.

[edit]On cars with NAV

Get in the car, close the door, and turn the ignition to position 1 (accessory. As soon as the monitor comes on, press and hold the RDS button for aprox 12 sec. Using the arrow keys, near the Tone and Select buttons, scroll to heading "GAL" (German acronym for speed depandant volume) The default setting will be displayed. To change, use the number keys 1-6, 1 being less increase, 6 being maximum.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
check the manual....

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
MP325

My Ride: 2004 325xi
hold the music note.. speed volume will come up, lower it with the + and -
Old 02-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Bimmerguy82

My Ride: 2004 ZHP 6 SPD
You can't turn it "off" but you can adjust the sensitivity like said before.
BMWCCA member #407674

Ebay headers | 3.38 diff | 2.5" cat-less exhaust | K&N intake | AA stage 1 software | UUC stage 1 light flywheel and clutch | UUC Evo 3 ssk
Bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
jlboygenius

My Ride: a car
Uh. I have car with a nav. There is no RDS button. You sure you can do this on a NAV equipped car?
jlboygenius is offline   Reply With Quote