E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
Dreaded Rear Diff Bushing DIY

Hey guys wasup? Have been looking and searching on this adventure and I am about to embark on the dreaded rear diff diy and need a lil input from you guys on these tools??? 1.http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E46-E85-Rear-...item519086c024

2.http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E46-E85-Rear-...item5190b72258

So whats the deal here are these not the same tool? or am i missing something ?? has anyone used one of these tools? work good or no??
Any feedback on this situation would be appreciated thanks
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
STORMER

come on guys looking for some insight .... i know u got it
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
first one seems to be for the rear diff bushing.
while the second one is for the two front bushings for the diff.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
see my sig
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
tell us how it goes.
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
STORMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
first one seems to be for the rear diff bushing.
while the second one is for the two front bushings for the diff.
u know what my friend i do believe you are correct haha i am going to be purchasing these puppies and putting them to good use i would like anyone who is interested in perhaps doing the same job let me know i will be putting them up for sale when i am done HALF PRICE so let me know guys will keep updated i know there is already a DIY here on it but i may add one of my own at least maybe some pics
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
STORMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
see my sig
So let me get this straight. In order for you to make an educated comment you have to use the intelligence of somebody else to speak for you is that it? There is a time and a place for everything my friend.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
STORMER

This Weekend!!!

Ok so I am about to attempt the job this weekend; may or may not document but none the less i have recieved the needed tools. I ordered them through Baum Tools and believe me they are extremely high quality!!! Will be putting them up for sale immediately after the job is completed if anyone is interested just let me know
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
slickware

My Ride: 323i
I'm interested in both your thoughts on the process difficulty, as well as possibly purchasing the tools when you're done. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.
I just finished reading a DIY here about a guy who took almost 3 weeks to get his bushings OUT let alone back in the car

~A
slickware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
I'm very interested to see how this goes with the proper tools. Keep us posted!

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
There is a DIY on this site but it rates it 9.5 out of 10 in difficulty. I read it a while back, however I didn't see anything about it using the tool.

Last edited by wat3rbug; 03-11-2010 at 07:10 AM.
wat3rbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW323iWhite View Post
So let me get this straight. In order for you to make an educated comment you have to use the intelligence of somebody else to speak for you is that it? There is a time and a place for everything my friend.
All of my comments are educated, but my requests that OPs keep their threads readable... yes I do refer to someone else's post. Your point?
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Dropping the diff is tedious and time consuming but not at all difficult. With the Baum tool, once the diff is out of the way, you can swap the bushing out within a matter of minutes with almost no effort. People rate this job as difficult because they attempt it without the proper tool which tremendously increases the difficulty of the task.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
slickware

My Ride: 323i
Link to the Baum tool?
Also - from what I have read, the front and side bushings require different size cylinders to pull - does the Baum tool come with both sizes?
slickware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
I did it without any special tools and yes, special tools will make it easier. It is rare for the two front bushing to fail, so leave those alone. I Basically did the following:

1. Remove differential.
2. Using a twist bit and drill motor, I drilled a series of holes around the perimeter of the bushing (between inner and outer sections). This allowed me to remove the center section of the bushing.
3. Using a reciprocating saw (with metal blade), I cut through the outer shell of the bushing while taking care to avoid cutting into the bushing carrier.
4. Using a cold chisel, I easily knocked the cut bushing out of the carrier.
5. Using a 1/4 metal plate, 1/2" bolt (several different overall lenghts), washers and nut, short lengths of metal pipe (just larger diameter than bushing, I pulled the new bushing in place.
6. Reinstalled differential.

All together, it probably took me a good 4-6 hours.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
About to do this on my car, which has 200k+ miles...so I should only change the rear diff bushing and not the two fronts because they don't fail?

Thanks
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
Yes, however, you should check the front bushings, but more than likely they are ok...the fronts just don't see the forces the rear bushings gets.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
STORMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickware View Post
I'm interested in both your thoughts on the process difficulty, as well as possibly purchasing the tools when you're done. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.
I just finished reading a DIY here about a guy who took almost 3 weeks to get his bushings OUT let alone back in the car

~A
So just to clarify the tools i decided to purchase are not the ebay tools( I read of someone using them and they become deformed in the process-cheap) but they are rather professional grade mechanics tools from Baum Tools.http://www.baumtools.com/pdf/bmw_rear_axle.pdf. B333360 and B333370.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver325 View Post
I'm very interested to see how this goes with the proper tools. Keep us posted!
Yes due to interest I will be in fact documenting this project. Although not as in depth as other DIY's already posted on this as it would be just repeat information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug View Post
There is a DIY on this site but it rates it 9.5 out of 10 in difficulty. I read it a while back, however I didn't see anything about it using the tool.
I also have read that one a couple of times but where he went wrong was in fact not having the proper tools Thats what led me to my recent purchase. My buddy and I are actually looking forward to this project if not just for the excitement of using my nice fancy new tools
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I did it without any special tools and yes, special tools will make it easier. It is rare for the two front bushing to fail, so leave those alone. I Basically did the following:

1. Remove differential.
2. Using a twist bit and drill motor, I drilled a series of holes around the perimeter of the bushing (between inner and outer sections). This allowed me to remove the center section of the bushing.
3. Using a reciprocating saw (with metal blade), I cut through the outer shell of the bushing while taking care to avoid cutting into the bushing carrier.
4. Using a cold chisel, I easily knocked the cut bushing out of the carrier.
5. Using a 1/4 metal plate, 1/2" bolt (several different overall lenghts), washers and nut, short lengths of metal pipe (just larger diameter than bushing, I pulled the new bushing in place.
6. Reinstalled differential.

All together, it probably took me a good 4-6 hours.
How i did it too, i did however have a shop cut the metal part with acetyne and then the stealer put the bushing in for me.

I replaced the two smaller ones myself.

Replacing all of these bushings are a ***** to do yourself without special tools.

However special tools can be made yourself by following David's comment.. wish i had known that before i went -20$ to have the dealer do it.(delaer was kind enough not to charge me the real $100 cuz i dint want an expensive receipt)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #20
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I wish Vorshlad would offer some poly diff bushings to match their engine and tranny mounts.

Good luck to the OP...I look forward to your DIY!
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote