E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Can I sell my leased vehicle to someone else?

My wife's lease will be up in August and miraculously I think it is worth more than her buyout amount.

I want to try to sell it, but I don't want to take the risk that I might not be able to get the buyout amount for it.

Can I put it up for sale a few months before the lease is up and have the buyer buy it directly from GM, or would I have to buy it and then immediately sell it to them. I am hoping to avoid purchasing it as I would like to avoid paying $1,200 in sales tax on a car I own for 1 day.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Wouldnt make sense for you to tell them to buy it from the dealer because you wont get a deal. You will just walk away.

You said you could make money off of it due to its condition? So, start advertising the car for sale as if you own it. Then if someone wants it, you tell them to give you the money when the lease is up.
ImPulSe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
Wouldnt make sense for you to tell them to buy it from the dealer because you wont get a deal. You will just walk away.

You said you could make money off of it due to its condition? So, start advertising the car for sale as if you own it. Then if someone wants it, you tell them to give you the money when the lease is up.
What I meant was assume the buyout is $18k right now. I sell it to someone for $22k. Do I need to buy it for $18k, pay $1,200 sales tax and then sell it to them for $22k for a net profit of $2,800 or can I have them buy it directly from GM Financial for $18k and give me $4k for a net profit of $4k. Basically just avoid the taxes.

I know the standard way to do it is to buy it at lease and and then sell it, but I'd rather do it before the lease is up and not take the risk of buying it in case I can't sell it.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Jack_Smackus
Knight Rider

My Ride: 1993 BMW 320i
Leasing you technically don't own your car. You are renting it. I pretty sure you can't sell it until you actually buy it.

Why would they give 4k when they can buy it from GM Financial?

Real Programmers Don't Document - If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Jack_Smackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Smackus View Post
Leasing you technically don't own your car. You are renting it. I pretty sure you can't sell it until you actually buy it.

Why would they give 4k when they can buy it from GM Financial?
Because they couldn't buy it from GM financial for that price. Since I am leasing the vehicle I have the option of buying it at that price. If I turn in my lease they will turn around and sell it for quite a bit more. This is one of the main reasons that some of these automakers made a surprise profit recently. Residuals went way up versus what they had been expected to be.

They would still be "buying the car for $22k" its just only $18k of it would go to GM. The more I type the more I think I will have to buy it, pay the tax, and then sell it though.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Yes you have to buy it and pay the taxes on it.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
Yes you have to buy it and pay the taxes on it.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
coolio4433

My Ride: 2003 Topaz 330ci
Have a buyer assume the lease from you for a sum of $3-4k and then they can buy it from GM for $18k in a few months when the lease ends.

Good luck convincing someone to do that, but it could work.
coolio4433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
You can't sell what you don't own. Leasing

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio4433 View Post
Have a buyer assume the lease from you for a sum of $3-4k and then they can buy it from GM for $18k in a few months when the lease ends.

Good luck convincing someone to do that, but it could work.
I think there is a stipulation that there are no lease transfers in the last year (could be six months) of a lease... and then there is a lease transfer fee as well. I will just try to sell it and then if I find a buyer I will pay the tax and sell it.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
You can't sell what you don't own. Leasing
Thank you captain obvious. What you can sell however is an option to purchase something.

Comments like this are so ridiculous. Why do people have such a hard time understanding that leasing is essentially the same as buying, just with a guaranteed buyer at the end at a guaranteed price.

New I probably could have bought the car for $30,000. Now I can sell it for ~23,000. If I'd bought the car it would have cost me $7k to drive it for 3 years assuming I wanted to sell it now (which I do). This doesnt even take into account the interest I would have paid on a loan to purchase.

Instead, I leased the car for $350 a month and drove it for 3 years for $12,600. The buyout is $18,000. I can buy the car and sell it for the same $23,000 I mentioned above bringing my cost of ownership for the same three years down to $7,600.

In essence what I have done is paid $600 for an option to sell the car at $18,000 which is easily worth it to me. What if the car were worth $15,000 now? If I'd bought it my cost of ownership would have risen to $15,000. With leasing my cost of ownership would still be $12,600.

And that is why I will never buy a new car. I will lease new or buy used. Buying a new car is a no-win situation unless you're getting a demo, a ridiculous deal, or want some custom options.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
psicho54

My Ride: 335i/Touareg
This thread is filled with horribly inaccurate information. I've "sold" leased vehicles 3 times in the 5-6 years. The process is simple and people do it all the time. The idea that you can't sell a leased vehicle is a total myth.

1. find out the full buyout price. Let's say it's $10,000
2. advertise your car for $10,000 or more (or less if you are willing to make up the difference yourself)
3. tell buyer that this is a leased vehicle. Buyer goes to bank, cuts a cashier's check made out to your auto finance company for the full buyout price.
4. you overnight cashier's check and required forms to financing company.
5. buyer takes car from you at the time he/she furnishes a cashier's check to you. Better make sure the check is legit!
6. finance company overnights pink slip to you
7. you send pink slip to buyer
8. Buyer takes pink slip, goes to dmv and registers said vehicle, pays fees/taxes
9. Done deal.
psicho54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicho54 View Post
This thread is filled with horribly inaccurate information. I've "sold" leased vehicles 3 times in the 5-6 years. The process is simple and people do it all the time. The idea that you can't sell a leased vehicle is a total myth.

1. find out the full buyout price. Let's say it's $10,000
2. advertise your car for $10,000 or more (or less if you are willing to make up the difference yourself)
3. tell buyer that this is a leased vehicle. Buyer goes to bank, cuts a cashier's check made out to your auto finance company for the full buyout price.
4. you overnight cashier's check and required forms to financing company.
5. buyer takes car from you at the time he/she furnishes a cashier's check to you. Better make sure the check is legit!
6. finance company overnights pink slip to you
7. you send pink slip to buyer
8. Buyer takes pink slip, goes to dmv and registers said vehicle, pays fees/taxes
9. Done deal.
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
i wanna piggyback this thread.

two prong question. if someone rear ends my leased car,
1. can i pocket the check and have a private mechanic restore it to OEM condition?
2. and i feel unsafe in the rebuilt car, do i have legal grounds to return the car to bmw financial services (or whatever financing company)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
DoubleRGirl

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
a lease is the same as finance, the bank holds the title regardless. pay them off and you can have the title period
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
A lot of misinformation in this thread. YOU CAN sell your car even though you are currently leasing it. When you sell the car, you can have the guy pay you the difference between the sale price and the buyout as a deposit, and the buyer will pay the buyout directly to the company. There are some forms you have to fill out (you and the buyer), but its relatively easy. The title will go directly to the buyer, so you do not have to pay sales tax. The buyer does, though. It is a relatively quick process as well. You don't have to wait until the end of the lease term, you can buy the car out at any time, but the buyout will obviously be higher than at the end of the lease term.
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
why doesnt bmw allow lease transfers in the final 6 months?

http://www.leasetrader.com/2008_BMW_550i_145086.xhtml

Cannot transfer in the final 6 months of lease.
If the lease is in the first 6 months must get approval from BMW Financial Services.

The average time it takes BMW USA to complete the paperwork is 1 to 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote