E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
bimrkid

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
Accidently cleaned my MAF with carb cleaner...will this ruin it??

I cleaned my MAF sensor with carb cleaner....im hoping it doesn't get ruined, with 150K on it though ill prolly have to replace it soon anyway right??

Last edited by bimrkid; 12-05-2009 at 12:27 AM.
bimrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
mkodama

Carb cleaner is nasty stuff from what I've heard, but I only have experience with CRC MAF and brake cleaner (same active ingredient). I'd think the working parts of your MAF would be fine being that it's glass and metal, which are pretty chemically resistant, but I'd be worried if the carb cleaner was harsh on plastic, or left a residue of any sort.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Not to thread jack, but where exactly on the MAF do you spray the CRC MAF cleaner on?

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-E46 View Post
Not to thread jack, but where exactly on the MAF do you spray the CRC MAF cleaner on?
Everything inside of the tube. Use liberal amounts. Plastic grills, metal screens, and most importantly, the wire/tube/resistor/electronic thingy hanging down into the middle of the MAF.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I have used B12 Chemtool carb cleaner and that stuff is very nasty, I wouldnt be surprised if it melted plastic or made it very brittle.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
I clean my MAF once or twice a year with MAF sensor cleaner. My original sensor went out around 40k...new one, now at 90k running(reading) strong!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Get the right stuff QUICKLY and clean the MAF again. Then see if your car runs right. The sensing element in the MAF is VERY fragile...so I fear the worst on this one.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Instead of asking for random guesses from random people on the internet for random answers, why don't you use the MAF and see if it is ruined ? Since you probably don't know how to clean the MAF anyway, I don't think it matters what you put on the MAF. The outcome would be the same: crap. If you have crap on the MAF in the first place, it makes little difference if you put a bit more crap on it. Somehow, believing putting some crap on it can get rid of some other crap on it is just plain foolish. Imagine if you have some crap on your floor, do you A: remove the crap from the floor, or B: spray some other crap on the crap and be satisfied the crap will somehow cancel each other out ? The principle for crap on the MAF is the same. MAF's are expensive to buy for a reason. These are lifetime parts if you learn to eliminate crap from it. How difficult can it be ?
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
carb cleaner shouldn't hurt it...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Instead of asking for random guesses from random people on the internet for random answers, why don't you use the MAF and see if it is ruined ? Since you probably don't know how to clean the MAF anyway, I don't think it matters what you put on the MAF. The outcome would be the same: crap. If you have crap on the MAF in the first place, it makes little difference if you put a bit more crap on it. Somehow, believing putting some crap on it can get rid of some other crap on it is just plain foolish. Imagine if you have some crap on your floor, do you A: remove the crap from the floor, or B: spray some other crap on the crap and be satisfied the crap will somehow cancel each other out ? The principle for crap on the MAF is the same. MAF's are expensive to buy for a reason. These are lifetime parts if you learn to eliminate crap from it. How difficult can it be ?
Lifetime parts eh? Guess the hundreds of posts about bad or malfunctioning MAFs is just fantasy.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
MAF dont have a set mileage for replacement...so it is pretty much something that should last the life of the vehicle if taken care probably....the hundreds of post your talking about, im will to bet 99% have some kind of after market intake installed. If you stick with a oem intake you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
Lifetime parts eh? Guess the hundreds of posts about bad or malfunctioning MAFs is just fantasy.
Carb cleaner will not damage your sensor....how do I know? I have used it before on my MAF by mistake....so OP connect your sensor..turn the car on...and report back to us.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
shellback

My Ride: BMW
curious what a new MAF goes for
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellback View Post
curious what a new MAF goes for
Approx 350.00
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
guest0711
Banned

My Ride: 2006 bmw m3 coupe
is there anyway that if you let your car sit in the cold,that the MAF can freeze or the weather can damage it and your car will not start?
guest0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
The culprit may be after market air intake system/filter that fouls the MAF. On the Maxima.org forums, people have been debating and doing MAF cleaning with the CRF cleaner and I found out most folks have after market air filter/system or some sort. Usually the oil particles from those stuff foul the MAF.

I never ever needed to clean the MAF on my 2001 Nissan Maxima with 94k miles or my 2005 330Cic with 65k, because I only use the OEM paper air filter and don't mess with it.

Curious if we have a poll to see how many folks need to clean their MAF vs. having after market air filter/system and is there any correlation?
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Carb cleaner has toluene and acetone, MAF cleaner is mainly hexane. Toluene eats up many plastics, so I would not use carb cleaner on the MAF. If you already have used it, then clean it again with MAF cleaner.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertd320 View Post
is there anyway that if you let your car sit in the cold,that the MAF can freeze or the weather can damage it and your car will not start?
the MAF is a heated wire element I believe, so it shouldn't freeze.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
the MAF is a heated wire element I believe, so it shouldn't freeze.
This is correct. The MAF is a heated wire, part of a circuit called a Wheatstone Bridge. The same technology is used in many different airspeed measuring instruments. It will not freeze.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote