E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Trackitdown

My Ride: 330CI Convertible
Only hot air - Not Final Stage or Heater Control Valve

So I have a 330ci with A/C and ever since I have owned it only hot air comes out regardless of the temp setting.

Having had a leak in the expansion tank I decided now was the time to get the heater control valve changed as most posts I find route this as the cause of the problem.

Changing the heater control valve had no effect so we fitted a new final stage resistor at the same time... still no luck. The computer still pointed to the heater control valve as being faulty so another part was obtained from BMW and fitted.

Still only blowing hot.

The system was properly bled by the mechanic and they just can't work out why with all the parts changed it's still blowing hot only.

So after a big bill I need to find a solution to this problem.
Trackitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Egon

My Ride: 323SE
Have a look at the little fan in the back of the control unit. Pull the stereo out, then pull out the climate control panel. Look at the back and see if the little fan is spinning....Mine wasnt and it was doing all sorts of odd things...(managed to jam it with my ipod connector)
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
um...if you are only blowing hot, maybe you are out of freon? it may be a problem with your a/c system, not your heater

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Trackitdown

With or without aircon on its hotter than the surface of the sun.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Killabeast

My Ride: 01 325ci
lol I wish I had your problem! I can't get any heat!
Killabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Trackitdown

I'll swap with you!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Bad temperature sensor somewhere? There's one integrated with the climate control head unit, no?
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Trackitdown

The left grill on the control unit has a sensor behind it but this is only used for 'Auto' ambient temp control... shouldn't interfere with the 16 - 32 setting so long as auto is not selected.... unless im wrong about that
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackitdown View Post
The left grill on the control unit has a sensor behind it but this is only used for 'Auto' ambient temp control... shouldn't interfere with the 16 - 32 setting so long as auto is not selected.... unless im wrong about that
My understanding of how the climate control works is as follows: you select a target temperature and the climate control computer compares the ambient temperature to the desired temperature and adjusts the heat/cool blend appropriately. A bad temperature sensor would throw that all out of whack, no?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
imlostathome

My Ride: Black 06 m3 manual
sounds liek the blend air (hot/cold) flap motor is out. Usually when the temp is close to ambient temp is a a/c problem. But if its way hotter than ambient air the blend air door is stuck at hot. hot vent temps and hot engine temp is obstruction to air flow. and yes if the outside temp sensor has been torn off the car (located bottom of vehicle attached to bottom right splashgard or left... i forgot) it can throw off the temp out put i havnet seen abnormaly high temps only warm temps.

Last edited by imlostathome; 11-24-2009 at 12:38 AM.
imlostathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #11
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlostathome View Post
sounds liek the blend air (hot/cold) flap motor is out. Usually when the temp is close to ambient temp is a a/c problem. But if its way hotter than ambient air the blend air door is stuck at hot. hot vent temps and hot engine temp is obstruction to air flow. and yes if the outside temp sensor has been torn off the car (located bottom of vehicle attached to bottom right splashgard or left... i forgot) it can throw off the temp out put i havnet seen abnormaly high temps only warm temps.
Ya, but what about an interior temp sensor failure?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
M6BrokeMe

My Ride: 2001 330 ci, 1988 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
Ya, but what about an interior temp sensor failure?
The internal temp only matters when the system is in auto mode. His system blows hot air all the time... just like mine unfortunately...
M6BrokeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
nostradamvs8

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlostathome View Post
I need to revive this thread as I have this same problem. Is the blend air flap motor below the dash/part of heater core???
nostradamvs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Tahir Islam

My Ride: bmw 316i
Please can someone help me i'm new to this forum. But i have the same problem. My bmw 316i e46 2001 Y reg has this problem. When i bought the vehicle the a/c was working fine. after a year the heater blowes hot air only. I have tryed putting the tempreture level to 16 but it still blow hot air. When i swith on my a/c it blowes hot air. I don't no what seems to be the problem.
Can someone help me ? I don't no how i can find the fault.
Tahir Islam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
nostradamvs8

My Ride: 330i
Back to this thread a year and 1/2 after the fact. I had hot air coming out the vents for the first 15 seconds after I turned the AC on then 'some' cold air would come out. After tons of research on trying to diagnose (replaced heater control valve, got my refrigerant evacuated and recharged by a prof) and getting no where, I decided to give an indy guy I met at the stealer parts counter a shot. He talked a good game so I hit the road to see him. He said the blend air door is stuck open (hot), what imlostathome said and to get to it, he would have to take apart the dash, middle console etc. Didn't do it that day since it was late in the evening. I searched this when I got back home and couldn't find any posts or diys. I know someone has to have tackled this job before.

This morning I dropped my car off. Right now I have ice cold AC like I haven't in a long time not to mention this guy gave me a huge break on the bill. If anyone has done this, please enlighten us and help others on here. I'd also like to verify what my indy guy said needed to be done. Hope this helps someone