E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
nightingales

My Ride: 330cic, 2002MY
Question DSP or not DSP...

... that's my question. How do I know if I have the DSP version of the business CD? I do not have a button labeled DSP - is that conclusive? When I scroll through my software version screens (it is a 41, 2002 model year), it does come to a screen that says DSP 0 ....., so I was starting to wonder if I might have it despite there being no button? I do have the HK upgrade.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
Harman Kardon systems have digital sound processing. There is no DSP button, there is a button with a speaker & green led on it. I always keep mine on.

(Beneath the climate control)

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
BFP Intake, Euro Cooling Ducts, OEM Clear Lenses, 8000K HIDS
Matte Black-Grill, Headlight, Window, & Body Trim
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
nightingales

My Ride: 330cic, 2002MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaDiesel View Post
Harman Kardon systems have digital sound processing. There is no DSP button, there is a button with a speaker & green led on it. I always keep mine on.

Thanks so much for the reply. I do not have this button. It is a 2002 330cic and the speakers have HK labels on them.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaDiesel View Post

That is not a DSP button that is just HiFi surround sound effect button. It makes the speakers give a fuller sound. I don't even think that button is connected to the radio because the BMW Business CD53 manual for all years both Blaupunkt and Alpine models NEVER discuss that HiFi button nor does it discuss DSP.

Only the car's manual discuss that [speaker] button as being the HiFi option as it correlates to the Speaker System and NOT connected to the radio.

The fact that the radio background software states that DSP is 0 and the fact that you cannot move the DSP settings should be a red herring that DSP is non existant on ALL YEARS E46 BMWs.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 01-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Delmarco is correct. Unfortunately, some websites incorrectly list DSP options for e46's. Similar to how connects2 websites say post 2001 e46's have flat 40 pin radio connectors when that's not true. Maybe euro e46's had some of those options? It seems DSP was only in 5 and 7 series.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
You might not have the HK button (little speaker icon) because the vert's switch console might not have room (because of the additional drop top switches). If that's the case HK sound is probably always on.

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Sub

My Ride: m3
So I'm al little confused by this thread. I was going to buy a Grom ipod adapter, but I noticed at the bottom it says it doesnt work with DSP: http://www.gromaudio.com/grom_application_guide.pdf

I have a 03 cabrio and I have the HK audio option. Does that mean I have DSP and this Grom adapter wont work?
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
pelesl

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
So I'm al little confused by this thread. I was going to buy a Grom ipod adapter, but I noticed at the bottom it says it doesnt work with DSP: http://www.gromaudio.com/grom_application_guide.pdf

I have a 03 cabrio and I have the HK audio option. Does that mean I have DSP and this Grom adapter wont work?
I want to do the same thing. I have a 2000 323 ci coupe with the Harman Kardon "speaker" button. I believe this was not the standard stereo you could get (I think it was the "premium sound" option). It has a tape player in-dash, and someone else installed an Alpine 6 CD changer with one of those "adapter boxes". I always thought the adapter box was for controlling the changer---but could it be the "analog to digital" conversion that would be required for a DSP connection?

Anyone know what the connectors look like---that is, can you just look at the harness in the trunk and find out if you have a DSP stereo or not?
pelesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Subw00er

Dont buy the grom.

I bought it and its a POS and the company support sucks - takes 2 days for a reply and there is no phone #. I went through two units (and versions of hardware and software) before finding out that the unit is just plain made badly. Dont waste your time.
Subw00er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
First of all, to sb and pelesl - your cars do NOT have DSP. GROM or similar adaptors will work.

Second, to Subw00er (are you same guy as Sub?) - i have a GROM USB adaptor and I (and many others) love it. It works great for me. Did you get the ipod adaptor?
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Subw00er

Yes it was the USB/ipod. terrible device.
Subw00er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Reference the GROM...

I have it (GROM USB/ipod) too. Loved it, then hated it, now I love it again.

The big thing with the GROM is to remember it is not like an iPhone or Windows PC...DO NOT UPGRADE the software just because you can! I had issues, went back to an earlier software version...bam! works perfect now! That was based on some excellent customer service that I recieved from GROM. Hit or miss maybe?
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
NerdCore

My Ride: 02 325i
So sorry to dig this thread from the grave but. I got a printout from my BMW dealer with all the options my car has on it. I have option 676 HIFI loudspeaker system but I don't have the speaker button. Could it be something that the PO removed? or is the DSP and the HIFI two different things. My speakers don't say Harman Kardon.

Click4Facebook
NerdCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
DSP is a feature in a particular sound system while the HiFi system is a particular type sound system, they two different things.
The E46 did not come with DSP, it was/is a feature with the E39 5 series.

Last edited by Darkoz; 03-10-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #15
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
I think the cabrios engage the HK sound spatialiser (glorified echo button) when the roof is down. Certainly does on the E36.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #16
project330ci

My Ride: steel grey 02 325ci
ok sorry, but, this is the first time im really messing around with my audio. i can't stand the music on the radio these days -_-. anyways, i have a bmw 325ci 2002. i tried the DF-BMW from USA SPEC. but now that i guess its so badly outdated, they dont even support it with USA SPEC Tech Support. So, i think that i want to go with the Pa12 now, since it had both aux and ipod. but, theres a DSP and non DSP. and to be honest. i do not know which i need. anybody from this thread, can you help? thanks. it means a lot
project330ci is offline   Reply With Quote