E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
yogi799
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 286
My Ride: 99 328i auto
Car won't crank, battery good, ghost problem, please help...

I am growing really desperate; occasionally, sometimes twice daily, sometimes twice weekly, etc car won't even crank when ingintion's turned. Just silence, nothing else (well, beeps if seatbelt not fastened). Dashboard lights DO NOT die when turning the ignition, also no clicking sound, so I know it's NOT the battery (tried jumping as well, no difference). Just regular lights ON and no crank, nothing...

So I thought based on some previous threads that it might be my key / transponder (for immobilizer) going bad, and the car thinks I'm using a wrong key thus blocking the ingnition - so I ordered a new key and SAME THING (the new key is good, I tested it and it started the car fine, when the problem temporarily goes away).

After a good two week period, daily problems again. What can this be?? I was just stuck for 10 minutes in the parking lot, trying the ignition many times and nothing. Then it finally cranks and starts beautifully. Sometimes I get this feeling that something isn't ready so the car waits - as several times it would start cranking only about a second after I turned the ignition to START, so with a bit of delay.

Help please....


...
__________________
yogi799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,775
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Co-worker had this problem on his GM car. I dont know what you call it but it was that thing in the steering column where you insert the key into. Is that what you mean by transponder?

Let me ask you, do you have any things hanging off your car keys?
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,437
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
there are 2 common problems for this.... fuel pump and cam sensor. its probably one of the 2.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
 
Sicily1918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,673
My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Judging by your post, since you're able to fully turn the key, your starter's probably dead (or very close to it, as it does crank every now and then).
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,775
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
there are 2 common problems for this.... fuel pump and cam sensor. its probably one of the 2.
If it was fuel pump, the car would crank but wouldn't start.
His car won't even crank at times
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
inlinesicks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,142
My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Next time it wont start try to hit you starter with something and then see if it starts........wait is it even possible to get the the starter with everything together?
__________________
inlinesicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
radaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 108
My Ride: 325Xi
Ignition switch in the steering column. It could be the starter motor, but since you say that your dash lights aren't even dimming when you try to start, I'm thinking it's a faulty ignition switch. Turn your headlights on. If the lights don't go off or at least dim when you try to start, then your ignition switch isn't doing what it's supposed to do. Hope that helps.
radaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
 
Sicily1918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,673
My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by radaddict View Post
It could be the starter motor, but since you say that your dash lights aren't even dimming when you try to start, I'm thinking it's a faulty ignition switch. Turn your headlights on. If the lights don't go off or at least dim when you try to start, then your ignition switch isn't doing what it's supposed to do. Hope that helps.
My car didn't dim anything when my started died -- it just wouldn't start.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Pete330iZHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 273
My Ride: 2010 Nissan 370Z
Mine was doing the same thing, but my immobilizer was throwing a code. i don't think the starter, fuel pump or cam sensor would cause that. so i'm going to bet that its the antenna (the ring around your ignition) I've read of those going bad...
__________________


2003 330i ZHP 6MT SOLD!
19" Staggered VMR VB3's - H&R Sport Cup Kit
Alcantara Interior Trim - Hardwired V1 - 15% Tint
Tinted Corners, Sidemarkers, and Tail Lights
Black Kidney Grills - Corner Delete - Clutch Stop
Pete330iZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
BRYGUY1086
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 204
My Ride: 2001 330ci
just out of curiosity anyone heard of this problem being related to the vanos just because it throws the code for the cam sensor? I'm probably off but i was just curious
BRYGUY1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
vPanya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 474
My Ride: 01 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
I am growing really desperate; occasionally, sometimes twice daily, sometimes twice weekly, etc car won't even crank when ingintion's turned. Just silence, nothing else (well, beeps if seatbelt not fastened). Dashboard lights DO NOT die when turning the ignition, also no clicking sound, so I know it's NOT the battery (tried jumping as well, no difference). Just regular lights ON and no crank, nothing...

So I thought based on some previous threads that it might be my key / transponder (for immobilizer) going bad, and the car thinks I'm using a wrong key thus blocking the ingnition - so I ordered a new key and SAME THING (the new key is good, I tested it and it started the car fine, when the problem temporarily goes away).

After a good two week period, daily problems again. What can this be?? I was just stuck for 10 minutes in the parking lot, trying the ignition many times and nothing. Then it finally cranks and starts beautifully. Sometimes I get this feeling that something isn't ready so the car waits - as several times it would start cranking only about a second after I turned the ignition to START, so with a bit of delay.

Help please....


...
im assuming u using the original key..... the battery inside the keys dying. u gotta use the valet key. it dont recognize it and thats why it dont click. im sure ur lights and radio comes on, just no crank, not even click. USE VALET KEY
__________________
vPanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
yogi799
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 286
My Ride: 99 328i auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by vPanya View Post
im assuming u using the original key..... the battery inside the keys dying. u gotta use the valet key. it dont recognize it and thats why it dont click. im sure ur lights and radio comes on, just no crank, not even click. USE VALET KEY


"So I thought based on some previous threads that it might be my key / transponder (for immobilizer) going bad, and the car thinks I'm using a wrong key thus blocking the ingnition - so I ordered a new key and SAME THING (the new key is good, I tested it and it started the car fine, when the problem temporarily goes away)."
yogi799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
yogi799
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 286
My Ride: 99 328i auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
My car didn't dim anything when my started died -- it just wouldn't start.
Did all other symptoms match exactly what I have when your starter died?


...
yogi799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
 
Sicily1918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,673
My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by vPanya View Post
im assuming u using the original key..... the battery inside the keys dying. u gotta use the valet key. it dont recognize it and thats why it dont click. im sure ur lights and radio comes on, just no crank, not even click. USE VALET KEY
The battery serves to operate the remote features of the car only; you do not need a working battery to actually start it as the transponder works in much the same way RFID does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Did all other symptoms match exactly what I have when your starter died?
Well, once my starter died, it died... nothing I did could start my car... luckily that was the day I was supposed to take it to my mechaninc to get the starter replaced.

Basically, all I would hear was a slight click and then nothing... everything worked, but the engine would not turn over. The only other symptom I had was a weak starter for two days (it behaved exactly the same as a weak battery) and then nothing.

Radaddict may be right, though -- it could simply be that the ignition switch's not making proper contact, hence the random starts.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
yogi799
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 286
My Ride: 99 328i auto
Man I'm gonna bump this thread as I just did a lengthy search and found more of us struggling with this ****.

Has anyone been able to fix it? What was it???

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=637354

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=655152

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=649895
__________________
yogi799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
summit425
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,048
My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
hey I read your PM. yeah I fixed my problem my replacing the HID wiring harness. My +ve end burned because I didn't install it properly. After I replace and install harness correctly everything worked! (I was not able to start the car with jump start either)

If you installed any after market parts I suggest you to move them first and see if you can start your engine. (HID, angel eyes etc.) hope you can fix your problem!
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Renboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 411
My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Mine was doing the same thing. I'm led to believe it's my clutch switch. Assuming yours is a manual, try this; turn key to start position first, push clutch pedal second. I haven't had a problem starting my car since I reversed the starting procedure. If it's an auto that you drive, then it's probably the starter.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
E46 S54B32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami,Fl
Posts: 1,256
My Ride: 323ci
i have this probelm too sometimes..i think its the starter

GL fixing it dude
E46 S54B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
SteelGray3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 1,943
My Ride: 2003 slicktop LSB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post

Basically, all I would hear was a slight click and then nothing... everything worked, but the engine would not turn over. The only other symptom I had was a weak starter for two days (it behaved exactly the same as a weak battery) and then nothing.

Radaddict may be right, though -- it could simply be that the ignition switch's not making proper contact, hence the random starts.

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday, I have been roll starting my car everywhere. Where is the starter/how hard is it to replace? I already ordered the partor how much in labor did you get charged?
__________________
SteelGray3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,775
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Actually, come to think of it my dad had same problem on his Pontiac van and it was a starter

I heard starters on E46 are bitch to change
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use