E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
firemandjs

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Secondary air pump

Hello, hope somebody can help me! I have a 2000 323ci. Came up with a secondary air pump bank 1 code. I pulled the pump and put 12v to it and did not run. Bought a used one and tested before i installed it and worked fine. But code still comes back, after more testing im not getting 12v at the pump at a cold start, can anybody tell me which relay it is? I checked the fuse and checks out fine. Thanks
firemandjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandjs View Post
Hello, hope somebody can help me! I have a 2000 323ci. Came up with a secondary air pump bank 1 code. I pulled the pump and put 12v to it and did not run. Bought a used one and tested before i installed it and worked fine. But code still comes back, after more testing im not getting 12v at the pump at a cold start, can anybody tell me which relay it is? I checked the fuse and checks out fine. Thanks
Not sure about this one sorry, but a quick browse here could sort you out maybe?
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/

Also keep in mind that even if you replace with a good part the code will still be in memory. You need to switch the car in position 2 (Don't start) and wait for 50 seconds or a bit more. This is called the Adaptation by BMW.

HTH

Last edited by Fooljam; 04-07-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
jjtap

My Ride: 2005 330ix
There is a salmon colored relay behind the glovebox. You need to remove the glove box to get to it. That's where it is on my car but it is a 2005.
Also check the control valve and vacuum lines while your into it. If you have a hole it can cause the code. The lines get hot and sometimes dry out and decay. I hope it is the relay. Cheap fix.
Here is a link to it at Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...es%2C%20All%20
jjtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
firemandjs

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Thanks for the info! Ill check it out. I hope there isnt more then one salmon colored relay there. With that pump being bad it only makes sense it would take out a relay or fuse, right?
firemandjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
sgtfury40

My Ride: 2003 325i
There should only be the one salmon relay. Replacing it on mine fixed my problem. Make sure you get the right one. I had to take my bad one into the stealer so they could get the right one for me.
sgtfury40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
dumayou

My Ride: 2008 M6
Send a message via AIM to dumayou
I took the glove box out on my 2003 330CI and I can't find the Salmon Relay anywhere, Please help!!!

TIA
dumayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfury40 View Post
There should only be the one salmon relay. Replacing it on mine fixed my problem. Make sure you get the right one. I had to take my bad one into the stealer so they could get the right one for me.
Same thing here, replacing the relay fixed my problem.

However, are you only throwing the code for Bank 1? What about Bank 2? If it's only bank 1 then it could be that the passage thru the head could be clogged. Hopefully I'm wrong, but just make sure every other component of your secondary air system is working properly. Check valve, vacuum lines, etc.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
dumayou

My Ride: 2008 M6
Send a message via AIM to dumayou
Seem like it's common issue on our car. I got P0491 and P0492 code. Thank you for everyone helping me out locating the Salmon relay. My mechanic replace the secondary air valve and I know the secondary air pump is working fine but the stupid SES light came back in 1 day driving. All the pipes are fine too. I will get the relay on monday since the dealership part is close on Sunday. Hopefully after i replace the salmon relay will resolve my issue. I will let you guys for sure.

Thank you again for the guys helped me locate the salmon relay.
dumayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
wooboodoo

My Ride: is alpine white...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumayou View Post
I will let you guys for sure.

Thank you again for the guys helped me locate the salmon relay.
And??? We still waiting...

No matter which BMW model you drive, pure chiseled performance is the
pulsating heart of its DNA. Yet the 13th letter of the alphabet takes every
BMW built-in performance advantage and amps it up to the Mth degree.
Call it the Year of M.
D. Randy Riggs
wooboodoo is offline   Reply With Quote