E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
donkiman

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
pads rusted to rotors?

Didn't drive me car for nearly 2 weeks. It was sitting in an un-heated garage. The car turned on fine but I cant back up or drive forward. The car is stuck as if the E-brake were on, but its not. I looked at the rotors and they are very rusted. I fear that the rotors are rusted to the pads. How should I go about fixing this? WD40/flathead for prying?

I have AAA, but having my car towed is the last resort.

thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
bimmerpeej

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330 CI
i dont know how good it is for the brakes but PB Blaster is awesome at getting rusted bolts and such unstuck, id wait for someone else to chime in about that idea though

- UUC M5 clutch kit - lw flywheel - LED Angel Eyes -

My UUC M5 Clutch DIY Writeup
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...clutch+install

Part 2
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=clutch+diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
:werd: Adhesive-ionized propulsion FTW
bimmerpeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
jlboygenius

My Ride: a car
Manual or Auto?

If it's a manual, your e-brake may be suck some how(I assume you'd have parked the car with it on). I'd say just try and drive the car, you should be able to break it free.
If it's an auto, i doubt the brakes could be stuck unless you set the e-brake. You may be screwed.

PB blaster? Why not! what's the worst that could happen Just don't try and stop fast afterward.
jlboygenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
donkiman

its a manual. and it was parked with the e-brake on. I have made the mistake of backing out of the garage with the e-brake on 1 time before and it did not have this much resistance.

What is PB Blaster? is it like WD40?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Same thing happened to me. The e-brake got stuck. I just rocked the car back and forth and it freed itself. I try not to engage the e-brake for long periods of time as it tends to get stuck.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
M3Nick
RACECAR Backwrds Is RACECAR

My Ride: '06 M3 ZCP, Cayman-S
Pads won't be rusted stuck, your pads would have to be pressed on for them to be against the rotors while parked. Ebrake shoes are inside the rear rotors hub. If anything it'd be your ebrake. Put in neutral and rock it loose if you are that afraid. But sounds like it's an automatic and the gear selector sensor isn't catching.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
hmm using oil on brakes is not a good idea! You can go from the inner side and tap the caliper with a hammer it should unseize it. Your problem is ebrake is stuck together. You could also just rock it back and forth from 1st to reverse until it releases.
pilot_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
e-brake is stuck, give it some power to get out of its sticky situation.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
donkiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Nick View Post
Pads won't be rusted stuck, your pads would have to be pressed on for them to be against the rotors while parked. Ebrake shoes are inside the rear rotors hub. If anything it'd be your ebrake. Put in neutral and rock it loose if you are that afraid. But sounds like it's an automatic and the gear selector sensor isn't catching.
It's manual.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
donkiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlboygenius View Post
Manual or Auto?

If it's a manual, your e-brake may be suck some how(I assume you'd have parked the car with it on). I'd say just try and drive the car, you should be able to break it free.
If it's an auto, i doubt the brakes could be stuck unless you set the e-brake. You may be screwed.

PB blaster? Why not! what's the worst that could happen Just don't try and stop fast afterward.

So if the E-brake is stuck, when it brakes free will it be fine? Or will it require a recalibration?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
M3Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkiman View Post
It's manual.
Then rock it in neutral with ebrake off. If the back is locked you'll see it lift/dip. I'd also pull the ebrake on/off a few times and also push the brakes while engine running.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
bimmerpeej

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330 CI
PB Blaster is like mega god in a can, it pretty much melts/dissolves rust and unsticks stuck bolts.....but i agree with everyone else just pull and release the ebrake a couple times, and give it some juice....my pads stick to the rotors sometimes after ive washed the car a little bit on the go pedal and it unsticks.

- UUC M5 clutch kit - lw flywheel - LED Angel Eyes -

My UUC M5 Clutch DIY Writeup
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...clutch+install

Part 2
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=clutch+diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
:werd: Adhesive-ionized propulsion FTW
bimmerpeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
how cold did it get? never leave your ebrake on for long periods of undriving time in the cold, the pads freeze to the rotor.............if you dont wana chance pad damage, heat the rotors up slightly with one if those plumbing propane torches, not too much tho, youll warp them, or , put a heater in there for while.................rust doesnt do this =)

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
M3Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
how cold did it get? never leave your ebrake on for long periods of undriving time in the cold, the pads freeze to the rotor.............if you dont wana chance pad damage, heat the rotors up slightly with one if those plumbing propane torches, not too much tho, youll warp them, or , put a heater in there for while.................rust doesnt do this =)
The ebrake works by pressing brake shoes inside the rear hub out. It does not work by clamping the caliper pads to the rotor.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
sergio

My Ride: E46/330xi E90/335xi
I had same problem. Here is my story:

1. Drove car to airport in heavy rain on Dec 25 and temp was about +6oC

2. I always use E-Brake since, I already got a speech from mech that when not used, it causes problems (don't remember if it was rusted brake line???)

3. One weeks later (Jan 1st), I come back from trip, and temp was at -20oC, and car was not touched for 1 full week, and parked in outside parking lot.

4. When, I arrived to car, first think I did was clean snow and start motor

5. Since I had a new battery, no problem with start, but engine was really idling rough, I was afraid it was going to stall. I revved it a few times to help, but after 5 minutes no luck

6. At this point, I'm ready to drive car, and my only way out was in reverse. Car was parked in front of me.

7. Car was not moving, and back starting to lift. I also starting to notice a burning smell

8. I waited a few more minutes to think my options, I analyse free space in front of car, and I only had 3 inches

9. Tried reverse again, and still no luck, and back of car was lifting

10. At this point, I had no clue how I was going to drive wife + 3 kids home, not much support on Jan 1st, 600pm.

11. I decided to try anything, played with brake pedal a few times, and also played with e-brake a few times, and still no luck with reverse

12. I take a chance and put car in 1st gear, and was very careful and was able to hear a click and fortunately it moved only 2 inches

13. Put her back in reverse and care started to roll

14. Car was still rough

15. After 15min on highway, rough idle was gone and car started to feel normal again....

What an experience this was....

Good luck!
Sergio
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Nick View Post
The ebrake works by pressing brake shoes inside the rear hub out. It does not work by clamping the caliper pads to the rotor.
whaaaaaaaaaat? theres mini brake shoes inside the hub? if so, then they are the ones frozen, same concept

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
whaaaaaaaaaat? theres mini brake shoes inside the hub? if so, then they are the ones frozen, same concept
Yes there is.

http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/Lim...4/ill-34_0768/

I don't think it is frozen but rusted stuck because I live in a tropical climate and the same thing happens to me if I leave the parking brake engaged for more than a week.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #18
wasp9166
ima touching member

i swear, the little things i learn about these cars never seems to end...............thats crazy, why didnt they just use the reg pads ?

Quote:
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
Beamn46

My Ride: 02 M3 SMG CB/CINN
Send a message via AIM to Beamn46 Send a message via MSN to Beamn46
two weeks.. no way your pads are stuck to your rotors..it has to be something else... the only way thats possible is if your pads had continuous contact to the rotors.. and once its in P or N and you apply the e brake your pads are no longer in use the e brake is separate system inside your rear hubs.. if anythings stuck its your e-brake...just release your e-brake and give it some gas it'll come undone..
Beamn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
Beamn46

My Ride: 02 M3 SMG CB/CINN
Send a message via AIM to Beamn46 Send a message via MSN to Beamn46
Quote:
i swear, the little things i learn about these cars never seems to end...............thats crazy, why didnt they just use the reg pads ?
because if you ever take apart ur brakes you'll see why..and if they did that would kind of defeat the idea if a EMERGENCY BRAKE dont you think??
Beamn46 is offline   Reply With Quote