E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
ashleydean

My Ride: E46 325CI
Window problems - 2006 E46 325CI convertible

I have had constant problems with my electric windows in my 325CI convertible.

When I press the centre "ALL UP" button, to raise all 4 windows, amny times only 3 windows will raise up, and 1 will stay down.

Also, when I press the driver window to go up automatically, often the window will go up 3/4 of the way, then drop back down.

BMW have tried 10 times to try and fix these problems, changed the window regulators etc. Now they have given up, and said it is a "Safety Feature" anti-trap feature, that my windows dont work properly.

If anyone else has had similar problems, please email me at ashleydean@dodo.com.au, as I am taking legal action action BMW as they cant fix the problem.BMW claim they have never ever heard of this before, but I know of other people with the same car that also have this problem.

Regards

Ashley Dean
ashleydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
ashleydean

Electric Window problems - 2006 E46 325CI convertible

I have had constant problems with my electric windows in my 325CI convertible.

When I press the centre "ALL UP" button, to raise all 4 windows, amny times only 3 windows will raise up, and 1 will stay down.

Also, when I press the driver window to go up automatically, often the window will go up 3/4 of the way, then drop back down.

BMW have tried 10 times to try and fix these problems, changed the window regulators etc. Now they have given up, and said it is a "Safety Feature" anti-trap feature, that my windows dont work properly.

If anyone else has had similar problems, please email me at ashleydean@dodo.com.au, as I am taking legal action action BMW as they cant fix the problem.BMW claim they have never ever heard of this before, but I know of other people with the same car that also have this problem.

Regards

Ashley Dean
Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
I've never heard of this as a common problem, and I surf this board a lot and do a lot of DIYs.

Have you tried resetting your auto ups?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
when this happened on a few infiniti's i worked on the window motor fixed it. i've done one or 2 in e46's. did they try replacing the window motor and reprogramming the window? i hope they did since u took it to the dealership. seems like the range of your driver window motor needs to be readjusted
Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
the window going 3/4s up and back down is usually a sign of it hitting something or becoming caught. for example if it is off-track. that's unusual it only happens when u do the auto up though.
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
aw3964

My Ride: 02 325ci; 06 530i
it happens in my coupe with the moonroof, as stated above its usually because it is off-track. it would close then reopen to 3/4. i usually just hold the close button for 10secs and wait for it to reset. as for the windows, have they looked at the tracks? maybe they are just dirty..
aw3964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
ashleydean

yes, its always when going up. It usually happens in hot weather.

BMW has tried 10 times to fix it, changed motors etc but still the problem happens. They have given up on it now!

Last edited by ashleydean; 12-17-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Team_Persia

My Ride: '05 ZHP 'Vert - SOLD
i sometimes have the same issue with 1 of my windows staying down.

it also does the 3/4 up and then down thing sometimes when im rolling them up and then turn off the ignition.

anyone have any clue to why it does this?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
ashleydean

BMW says they have tried everything. They have had the car for 6 weeks trying to fix it! It is totally random when it happens which is frustrating, because the car can be fine for 2 weeks, then next 2 weeks every time I go to use the windows or put on the roof and all windows should go up, one window will stay down
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw3964 View Post
it happens in my coupe with the moonroof, as stated above its usually because it is off-track. it would close then reopen to 3/4. i usually just hold the close button for 10secs and wait for it to reset. as for the windows, have they looked at the tracks? maybe they are just dirty..
I think this is actually a feature or something. Happens now and then on my coupe too. If you only hold the close for a bit it'll close only 3/4ths the way, then stop and go back a bit and stay at 3/4ths open...
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
ashleydean

do you know of anyone else that has same problem? How frequently does this happen to you?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
mthreezycrazy

My Ride: ///M3
my buddy's convertible does all sorts of this wacky sh!t, he said its just a "common problem" with verts, so i guess it is

mthreezycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Team_Persia

My Ride: '05 ZHP 'Vert - SOLD
^lol thats me