E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
hoss

My Ride: 330 Xi
Post DIY: Fitting a SAC clutch

Ok, so certain of the e46's have a Self Adusting Clutch
According to the Bentley manual, this requires several special (read expensive) tools to fit. Fortunatley i have found it's possible with some more common ones.

The SAC works by having a rotary plate inside the cover plate assembly that is pushed clockwise by springs. As the clutch wears, this rotary plate slowly moves clockwise to take up the wear.

NB. It seems that new clutches come with this SAC pre-reset in the anti-clockwise position with a shipping plate. But if you want to refit an existing clutch you need to reset it.

To reset the SAC you will need a large 3 legged bearing puller as in the picture (these are relatively cheap, i picked up a set of 4 for about $30).
Before the SAC can be reset the diaphram spring must be compressed. I made a cylindrical block on a lathe which just sits inside the spring fingers. If you dont have a lathe, some improvisation could be done.

1. Insert the puller as shown & compress the spring. Note that the silver SAC plate underneath can be freely moved now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	4653
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	293765

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	4090
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	293766
2. Fit the clutch disc on to the flywheel with the normal centering tool.

3. With the spring still compressed (puller attached) fit the cover plate to the flywheel & tighten all the cover bolts.

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	3934
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	293768
4. Using a screwdriver or similar, rotate the silver SAC plate fully anti-clockwise. Note there are alignment marks near the small springs to show this.

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	3037
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	293767
5. Keep the SAC plate in the anti-clockwise position with the screwdriver while removing the pressure on the diaphram spring, and remove the puller.

6. Remove the centering tool.
hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
RotaryBzzz

My Ride: E36 M3 : E46 330i
great post, thanks for the writeup!
RotaryBzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
RNLD66

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
Wow, this is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Thanks a million, you are a good man.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
vegito

My Ride: BMW 318i E46 2002
why dont you replace the pressure plate it self ?..
vegito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegito View Post
excuse me?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
vegito

My Ride: BMW 318i E46 2002
Well if you want to replace your clutch than maybe it is also better to replace the pressure plate the SAC system self. If you buy a clutch set than you will get a new clutch with the pressure plate already setup. Only you have to do is remove the new diaphram when the installation is complete. This D.I.Y is great really but, its only comming handy if the installer want to re-use the pressure plate.
vegito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
hoss

Quote:
This D.I.Y is great really but, its only comming handy if the installer want to re-use the pressure plate.
Well done sherlock, thats exactly what i put in the first post
Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
neil1138

Quote:
Well if you want to replace your clutch than maybe it is also better to replace the pressure plate the SAC system self. If you buy a clutch set than you will get a new clutch with the pressure plate already setup. Only you have to do is remove the new diaphram when the installation is complete. This D.I.Y is great really but, its only comming handy if the installer want to re-use the pressure plate.
There are situations in which you don't need to replace the clutch at all, but just need to remove it to get to the rear main seal, flywheel, pilot bearing, etc. And in cases like these, because the pressure plate locks when taken off, you have to buy a new clutch set. At least that's the proper/by the book way to do it. But some people don't need a new clutch so this method is perfect and very informational.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
m5james

My Ride: 98 740iL, 01 X5
Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
This is great, I'm just hoping that it'll work for me. I'm converting my 740iL from an auto to a 6spd that I picked up from an M5 w/ 24k on the odo. I'm curious though, so bear w/ me and tell me if I understanding this correctly.

It seems that the SAC is a wheel that slowly spins clockwise as the clutch surface wears, so use that puller to just press the fingers, turn the wheel counterclockwise back to zero, then release the fingers and it'd lock the spinning wheel? I realize that I need to bolt on the flywheel, then the put up the clutch and pressure plate, but then how am I getting the alignment tool in there if the puller is in the way holding the fingers down on the pressure plate?
m5james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
hoss

Exactly.
For the centering tool, i made a short one that would go under the puller. but i guess you could also cut the top off of the plastic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
It seems that the SAC is a wheel that slowly spins clockwise as the clutch surface wears, so use that puller to just press the fingers, turn the wheel counterclockwise back to zero, then release the fingers and it'd lock the spinning wheel? I realize that I need to bolt on the flywheel, then the put up the clutch and pressure plate, but then how am I getting the alignment tool in there if the puller is in the way holding the fingers down on the pressure plate?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
m5james

That makes sense. What about my idea of just resetting the SAC disc then just releasing the puller. Is my understanding correct and is that possible so I don't have to have the puller on while installing the clutch.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
elkarshofy

My Ride: a car
wow
elkarshofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
m5james

Wow what?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Quote:
...wants to waste his time and be foolish at the same time? You need a new plate every time you do a disc.

Quote:
If you buy a clutch set than you will get a new clutch with the pressure plate already setup. Only you have to do is remove the new diaphram when the installation is complete.
...exactly I suppose this is good if you had your clutch apart and didnt want to do a clutch, but then I think its ~300 for a clutch so best to replace it since you're in there.

Last edited by Brilliant; 04-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #15
hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
...wants to waste his time and be foolish at the same time? You need a new plate every time you do a disc.

...exactly I suppose this is good if you had your clutch apart and didnt want to do a clutch, but then I think its ~300 for a clutch so best to replace it since you're in there.
Rubbish. What if you need to get back in to do something shortly after fitting a new disc & plate, or have a very good condition unit to exchange.
@Brilliant, you obviously have more money than sense.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
m5james

Exactly...why replace my clutch w/ a brand new one when the one I have now only has 24k on it.

I'm still curious as to if I can just reset the clutch w/ the need to be installing it in the car at the same time. Can I just reset it on the bench and remove the clamp and it'll stay reset? I got a 3 finger puller set from Harbor Freight and we able to push the fingers of the pressure plate down, but I couldn't get anything to spin or find anything moveable.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #17
hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I'm still curious as to if I can just reset the clutch w/ the need to be installing it in the car at the same time. Can I just reset it on the bench and remove the clamp and it'll stay reset?
Maybe, but you would have to find some way to lock the mechanism in place while you fit it (like the transit lock the new clutch comes with)
Is it not easier to do in-situ as my photo's?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #18
m5james

I have no issue doing it the same way you did, I was just hoping to not have to go re-purchase the puller again. I stripped the 1st set I purchased trying to remove the CV Joint in my X5, so I returned them. I'll just buy them again when the time comes to install the clutch into the 7. Thanks Hoss.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Thanks for the write up! I was wondering if there was another way without buying the expensive tools

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
armanigk

My Ride: E46 M3
Is it possible to reset the sac without removing the pressure plate from the car?