E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
blackbeard

My Ride: Is stock : (
bad alternator symptoms?

has anyone had their alternator go out? my car is acting very strange popping transmission lights dsc,brake lights and such. replaced the battery and when the battery was fresh all the lights went off and everything was fine. around 5-10 minutes of driving the symptoms come back and i noticed running in park all the lights start to dim out and die then the battery needs to be put on a manual charger?
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
CirrusSR22

My Ride: E36 318ti, E46 323it
Yep, sounds like an alternator. It's not charging the battery so the battery starts to run low and all those systems/computers start shutting down. The fresh battery makes everything run properly until the new one starts to die then it all happens again. Did you also see the battery light before al lthis happened? When the alternator died on my E36 the battery light came on, but very dim. I think it was partially dying at that point.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
blackbeard

yes my battery light came on, it also feels like its in safe mode once the battery runs down, my headlights/dash/radio all shutoof and my tranny light comes on and only drives in 3rd gear
Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
CirrusSR22

My Ride: E36 318ti, E46 323it
Oh yeah, my transmission light came on. ABS, and some other stuff.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
blackbeard

yep, just charged my battery plopped it into my car and it fired right up, all the warning indicators were off and the car ran smooth, set a voltmeter on the terminals and just as i suspected 11.4 volts!. i had 12.4 with the key off so im definately not recieveing a charge
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
time to replace alternator
Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Check to make sure the belt is tight before you spend the money on a new alternator.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
havnfun328

My Ride: 99 328i Stock
It can also be a bad connection. Check ground connectivity.
235K and still running strong
havnfun328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Remove, clean and refit the engine/chassis ground strap. Do not rush out and buy a new/rebuilt alternator. We had the same problems and it turned out the alternator commutator was full of crud. Tood the alternator to an ALTERNATOR SHOP. They took apart and cleaned out the commutator. $ 31.50 total including tax. Worth a try.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery before you start going round in circles. the alternator is NOT designed to charge the battery from a discharged state, it's designed to maintain a charged battery.

If you need a new battery, get one from Autozone. They may not show a fit in their systen but there ARE at least two Autozone batteries that are direct replacement fits.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
vinnybones

My Ride: E46 330i & E46 M3
i paid over 800$ for my new alternator...180amp one
Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
blackbeard

again thanks, i have the car jacked up right now, where would be the best spot to poke a voltmeter to see if its producing any kind of charge while running?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
BMWPLT

My Ride: 2001 325i
Fellas:
Having same symptoms with my car. I've just removed my battery with the intent to check it out. However I don't have much confidence that this will clairify the issue. Appreciate the input above since it appears that my alternator is the problem. Thanks for the suggestions above and I'll provide updates to ensure others can learn.
BMWPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
BMWPLT

My Ride: 2001 325i
Fellas:
Having same symptoms with my car. I've just removed my battery with the intent to check it out. However I don't have much confidence that this will clairify the issue. Appreciate the input above since it appears that my alternator is the problem. Thanks for the suggestions above and I'll provide updates to ensure others can learn.
BMWPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
blue328coupe

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328Ci
Reviving an old thread. When I first tried to start the car this morning, it would crank but not start. That wasn't the first time it did this, but it rarely did it, so I just ignored it. Then I finally got it started. No lights were on and the car ran fine. I was out of town, so driving back to town was probably an hour or so of straight driving. I parked it at a friend's house for an hour while we went out in his car. Came back, started the car, and the battery and DSC light came on, the ABS light kept flashing on and off, the radio and HVAC kept turning on and off, and the car was idling rough. I turned it off, started back up and everything was fine.

Am I looking at a bad battery? Alternator? Something else?
blue328coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
hariskt

My Ride: bmw e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue328coupe View Post
Reviving an old thread. When I first tried to start the car this morning, it would crank but not start. That wasn't the first time it did this, but it rarely did it, so I just ignored it. Then I finally got it started. No lights were on and the car ran fine. I was out of town, so driving back to town was probably an hour or so of straight driving. I parked it at a friend's house for an hour while we went out in his car. Came back, started the car, and the battery and DSC light came on, the ABS light kept flashing on and off, the radio and HVAC kept turning on and off, and the car was idling rough. I turned it off, started back up and everything was fine.

Am I looking at a bad battery? Alternator? Something else?
hi i am also having the same problems. always in the morning (cold start) most of my dash bord lights are flashing and low RPM. but after warming the engine it runs fine...what could be the problem...
hariskt is offline   Reply With Quote