E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
notslow

My Ride: 03 e46 4dr
Question Lets solve the folding ribbon mirror mystery

Okay, here is a picture of my ribbon connector mirror motor installed in the aftermarket folding mirror housings. Everything is connected like stock. The stock ribbon mirror adjust motor has two extra ribbon wires (circled in red). The wires circled in blue are for the fold motor. I'm wondering if these extra ribbon connections are to connect to the fold motor. I have tested them for voltage/ground. and I got nothing. Is there a chance I need to activate the feature in the software? Where do the fold motor wires normally connect to control the folding by the factory fold button? I'm hoping this can be solved once and for all..

Thanks, Will

notslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
notslow

There must be someone who know what these wires are?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Classified

My Ride: E46 316 1.8i Sport
maybe for memory function?

bee-emm-vii
OEM OBC retrofit done, OEM front arm rest done, OEM cup holder done, OEM footwell lights done, OEM rear power windows done, LED Interior lighting incl. License Plate done, OEM Rear-View Mirror w/nose w/auto.dimm done

To Come: OEM Alarm, Xenons w/AE's w/autom. levelling, Rain sensor, Light sensor, Projector fogs, OEM Sunroof, Speaker update+ headunit, OEM autom. air-cond. OEM rear seats w/armrest.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
notslow

nope, the mirrors have the memory function intact without these wires.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
notslow

there has to be someone out there that has factory autofold mirrors in a late model e46. Likely someone out of the US. It takes less than a minute to pop the mirror lens out and see where this cable connects. Or someone with access to the wiring diagram for the 2003+ e46 mirrors. My theory is these wires connect to the auto fold motor, but I think you must need to have the software activated or need another control module. Isn't there anyone out there that can help figure this out? These cars have been out 6 years. It's kind of embarrassing that no one has figured this out. I've read countless threads on here about installing the auto fold mirrors and none of them answer the questions I have posted here. With a little help I think we can figure this out. Work with me guys

Will
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
notslow

I guess the problem is the people who have them don't care to help figure this out. Hopefully there is someone out there who wants to help solve this.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
jbcritch

My Ride: 2005 Steel Blue 325i
Are the wires to heat the glass?

Do you have the switch to fold the mirrors? You have to have that - and there is a "fuse" issue you may need to search and check in to.

Hope that helps a tiny bit...
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Mods: M5 mats, M5 spoiler, tint....for now.
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
notslow

Hi,
Thanks for the input. The wires to heat the glass are actually below in the picture with the larger black connectors. Have the switch and fuse 57. The thing is, there is nowhere in the door to hook up the extra fold motor wires. The only place I can imaging they would connect is to these extra ribbon wires. If anyone has a stock auto fold mirror from an 03-05 they could verify in 30 seconds. But so far, I guess nobody has them. Thanks again for contributing.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
sataraid

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Turn your turn signals on while checking for voltage.
sataraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
well the car (e46) has been out for years, but the ribbon connectors for the newer facelifted cars haven't been around for awhile. even then, no one has attempted to do anything with the ribbons as they are too much trouble.

anyhow, you said that it's your stock mirror motor in the housings right? if you don't have autofold stock, you need the autofold motor (which i think you have) and the switch (which you have) and you may need the module as well. you should check to have all those before continuing

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by sillieidiot; 10-05-2008 at 02:06 AM.
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
notslow

I checked for voltage with the signals, nothing. Did any of the e46 sedans have mirror signals?

Yep, I installed the stock ribbon motors in the aftermarket housings. The fold motors are there, the input wires for the auto fold are circled in blue. I can apply voltage to the wires circled in blue manually to get them to fold and reverse it to get them to unfold.

Is there an seperate module to control the folding mirrors, if so any idea where it is located?

Actually, the ribbon style mirrors have been out since 2003. That's close to 6 years. I think this can be figured out if someone really wants to. Hopefully someone will chime in that has factory auto folds with ribbon connectors. That is the key to figuring this out.

Last edited by notslow; 10-05-2008 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
sillieidiot

i believe there is, but i'm not entirely sure where it's located. looking at the bentley manual, it says there is one and it's located by the asc/dsc unit.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
notslow

Thanks for checking. Any idea where the asc/dsc unit is? Did you look up for a face lift car?

Anyone else know for sure about the control unit for autofold?
Old 10-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #14
sillieidiot

the book is for all e46's, it's just a general guide. as far as i can see there is no mention about ribbon connectors in here since there's not much on the side mirrors.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
notslow

So the book won't tell me anything concrete since the ribbon cars could be wired completely different. Back to the search. Folding mirrors are an option on 03-05s, right?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
sillieidiot

yea, but only in europe. it'd have to be a special request over here. you will probably need more specific wiring diagrams from bmw like tis or etk or something

Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
So the book won't tell me anything concrete since the ribbon cars could be wired completely different. Back to the search. Folding mirrors are an option on 03-05s, right?
The ribbon, does it go to the mirror switch ? If it does, then we can try to do some wire matching at the plug.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
notslow

The only wires I need to figure out is the two fold motor wires. The rest are all working. There is just nowhere I can see to connect the fold motor wires. Does anyone know where they hook up on the standard 6 or 12 pin set ups?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #19
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
On the 6 pin plug there are no folding wires.

On the 12 pin:

Blue & White

6 pin:
Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
A buddy of mine sent me this a while back. I'm not sure this helps but here it goes:

http://www.rlcc.co.uk/stakesuk/carr/mirr/m3mir.htm