E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
BimmerMOE

My Ride: 2001 325i
Unhappy 2001 325i door Locking/Unlocking Problem

Hi,

I have a 2001 325i Sedan that i am having issues with unlocking the car doors.

Heres my problem.....Whenever i press the unlock button on my key sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't recently its been very unresponsive. Its like it seems to want to unlock but it doesn't. Even if i get it to unlock it wont unlock the rest of the doors if i press the unlock 2 times.....I usually press the unlock button 1once then wait like 5sec and press unlock again to unlock the passenger doors.

Now when i press the unlock button on the key 10% of them time it works if i press it 2 times noting happens however it unlocks the trunk but it doesn't release it which is correct so that tells me the system is receiving the signal because its unlocking the trunk and if i press the unlock for the trunk it unlocks the trunk and it releases it so its open.

I even tried the locking/unlocking switch in the central console still i get noting.

The key works fine only if i press the LOCK button 100% it Locks it but doesn't want to unlock it.

How can i go about fixing this problem

Thank you in advance for your help.
BimmerMOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
JesLet

My Ride: not an ///M
I have the same problem with my passenger side door.

Both door locks perfectly but when I press unlock twice the passenger won't unlock. And my trunk is working properly when I unlock/lock it.
JesLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Go to www.BMWGM5.com

You problem are the door lock relays in the GM5 module are shot.

Also check out this thread. http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthr...113239&page=13
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
scottjoh

JesLet, do you have a 2dr or 4dr. If you have a 4dr then it's probably an actuator, since it's only 1 door and it's NOT the driver door. If it's a 2dr then it could be an actuator or the GM5 relay, probably the relays through. Does it get worse during warm weather? That's a sign of relay problems.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
NorCal Einstein

My Ride: E92 335i
Send a message via AIM to NorCal Einstein Send a message via Yahoo to NorCal Einstein
Sounds like a GM5 problem to me.

A local fanatic just replaced his relays. He didn't really create the best DIY, but eh.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=606480

If you can solder/desolder or know of a friend that can do so, I'd recommend doing it yourself. If not, follow the link near the end of TKC's DIY, and you could send your GM5 module in to be fixed and have it shipped back.

Best of luck

Current:
2009 E92 335i Alpine White/Coral Red

Past:
2007 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite/Black
2000 E46 323i Steel Blue/Grey

NorCal Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Raysride

My Ride: 01 330 Dinan Cab.
Have same issue,indy quoted me $450 P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMOE View Post
Hi,

I have a 2001 325i Sedan that i am having issues with unlocking the car doors.

Heres my problem.....Whenever i press the unlock button on my key sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't recently its been very unresponsive. Its like it seems to want to unlock but it doesn't. Even if i get it to unlock it wont unlock the rest of the doors if i press the unlock 2 times.....I usually press the unlock button 1once then wait like 5sec and press unlock again to unlock the passenger doors.

Now when i press the unlock button on the key 10% of them time it works if i press it 2 times noting happens however it unlocks the trunk but it doesn't release it which is correct so that tells me the system is receiving the signal because its unlocking the trunk and if i press the unlock for the trunk it unlocks the trunk and it releases it so its open.

I even tried the locking/unlocking switch in the central console still i get noting.

The key works fine only if i press the LOCK button 100% it Locks it but doesn't want to unlock it.

How can i go about fixing this problem

Thank you in advance for your help.
for replacing acuator $150 for part,rest labor $300.Theres a great DIY on this site so plan to do it my self. Good Luck
Raysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Toxic0n

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Go to www.BMWGM5.com

You problem are the door lock relays in the GM5 module are shot.

Also check out this thread. http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthr...113239&page=13

I got the relays from that guy and replaced them and it completely resolved my door lock problem. The dealer wanted to charge me like $1200 for a new GM5 module installed

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
^^ Exactly. That's what I did.

Sh1t, $35 from him vs. $1,500 from the dealer here.

MAkes me want to sit infront of the dealership with a sign offering to fix door locks for half of the dealerships price
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
kataE46

My Ride: 2001 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
I got the relays from that guy and replaced them and it completely resolved my door lock problem. The dealer wanted to charge me like $1200 for a new GM5 module installed
Can you tell me how long did it take you to do this repair. You also mentioned that you can send him your GM to have him repair it. Does that mean that you won't be able to drive your car while his fixing it.
kataE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
You need to contact Scottjoh on thread #4. Well my problem is the driver side window is not moving at all. No click no sound when I pull/push the switch. Sent it to Scootjoh and everything are back to factory. I shipped the module last saturday 10 Jan. He received monday 12 Jan. He shipped it the same day and I received my module today 13 Tues. He was awesome guy. Also I communicated to him on the phone and e-mail. So don't hesitate and try to fix yourself. Ask the dealer how much it will cost you and compare it to Scottjoh. You will not save more dollar but you also learn how to DIY your door.
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
MikeDrivesE46

My Ride: 2000 E46
Thumbs Up Another plug for Scott's GM5 repair - 1 year later...

Finally got fed up with my doors not unlocking when it was hot. I brought my module to Scott last summer, handed it to him, and 1/2hr later I was putting it back in the car. He kind of freaked that I didn't disconnect the battery before reinstalling it, but I come from an industrial background. We do everything under power.
A year later now, it's still working fine. Glad to have that problem out of my hair so I can move on to repairing my cracked door speakers and sunroof liner that won't stay on track.
Thanks Scott!
MikeDrivesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
alwright

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
I have a 300i and the passenger front door is locked and I can't unlock it..any suggestions???
alwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Xeus

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
JesLet, do you have a 2dr or 4dr. If you have a 4dr then it's probably an actuator, since it's only 1 door and it's NOT the driver door. If it's a 2dr then it could be an actuator or the GM5 relay, probably the relays through. Does it get worse during warm weather? That's a sign of relay problems.
Mine gets worse during warm weather. What does that mean?
Xeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
alwright

Thanks for the thought...it's a 4 door and the front passenger side...More info...I have just replaced the window regulator..the lock doesn't respond to trying manually inside or outside. The remote hasn't worked for awhile. Now that's locked I have no idea how to access the panels inside...
Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwright View Post
Thanks for the thought...it's a 4 door and the front passenger side...More info...I have just replaced the window regulator..the lock doesn't respond to trying manually inside or outside. The remote hasn't worked for awhile. Now that's locked I have no idea how to access the panels inside...

Sorry, I'm confused. You replaced a window regulator on a door where the locks did not work right, and you did not look at the locking mechanism while the door was taken apart? It sounds like you might have unplugged something or you managed to knock a linkage out of place.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
alwright

The locks were fine until I replaced the regulator..I bottled up and closed the door...never expecting the lock would not work. PS..regulator is great..LOL...I really don't care what doesn't work if I can get into the inner panel.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
alwright

PS..could not see linkages..just a cable.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
scottjoh

2001 325i door Locking/Unlocking Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeus View Post
Mine gets worse during warm weather. What does that mean?
Xeus, that means your general module is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwright View Post
The locks were fine until I replaced the regulator..I bottled up and closed the door...never expecting the lock would not work. PS..regulator is great..LOL...I really don't care what doesn't work if I can get into the inner panel.
Maybe you pulled the wire harness off or pinched a wire and shorted it to ground.

Last edited by scottjoh; 03-12-2014 at 09:07 PM.