E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Power steering pump make noise when turning

My power steering pump is making sound when I turn! I have read that is a comon problem for E46, liquid level is okay and it a standard trans, the pump is making the same sound that when you turn very too much!

What do you think?
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
GDA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, Tx
Posts: 390
My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
Did you check the belt to make sure its not slippping? If that is ok, then check for weeping at one of pressure hoses as you could have a low pressure condition that just started which hasn't resulted in a major loss of fluid (yet).

Also, it would help if we knew the mileage of the car
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
HELLAS NC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,412
My Ride: 03 320Diesel Tractor
Had this problem on my VW for 60 000km before the steering pump finally went. Its not really something that will leave you stranded by the roadside, but as long as the pump and pipes still keep the oil inside (i.e no leaks), you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

BUT: Then when I changed the pump, the guys twisted one of the hoses to make it fit, and now the oil struggle a bit to get through that part of the pipe and THAT makes a noise AND may cause the pump to fail prematurely. I will have it checked out soon.

LASTLY: It is normal for any power steering pump to make a noise when it's turned to the lock. This is just the bypass valve releasing some pressure in the pump. Though it cannot harm the pump, it's not advisable to do it for extended periods of time.
__________________

I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
HELLAS NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLAS NC View Post
Had this problem on my VW for 60 000km before the steering pump finally went. Its not really something that will leave you stranded by the roadside, but as long as the pump and pipes still keep the oil inside (i.e no leaks), you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

BUT: Then when I changed the pump, the guys twisted one of the hoses to make it fit, and now the oil struggle a bit to get through that part of the pipe and THAT makes a noise AND may cause the pump to fail prematurely. I will have it checked out soon.

LASTLY: It is normal for any power steering pump to make a noise when it's turned to the lock. This is just the bypass valve releasing some pressure in the pump. Though it cannot harm the pump, it's not advisable to do it for extended periods of time.
Fist i have 155000km = 96000 mile
second: I did not turn to the lock, I said that to you to have a good idea of the sound!
tertio: thanks
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDA View Post
Did you check the belt to make sure its not slippping? If that is ok, then check for weeping at one of pressure hoses as you could have a low pressure condition that just started which hasn't resulted in a major loss of fluid (yet).

Also, it would help if we knew the mileage of the car
I will check the belt! thanks
will check also for weeping,

When I bye it, I inspected the car bye a BMW dealer, They said that the powersteering tank seal as to be changed!
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
myksbmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 899
My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
You may want to do a PS fluid flush for good measure. If your fluid is old, this may be help with the noise.
__________________
myksbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by myksbmw View Post
You may want to do a PS fluid flush for good measure. If your fluid is old, this may be help with the noise.
Its not just anormal noise I am talking about! its also sometime hard to turn at low speed in drive way for example.
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Lemonsqr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,133
My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
I had noises and slightly difficult steering effort, changed out the fluid and it was good as new. the fluid had not been changed for 7 years and 48k miles....I should have done it sooner.
__________________
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
myksbmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 899
My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by goualon69 View Post
Its not just anormal noise I am talking about! its also sometime hard to turn at low speed in drive way for example.
I had the same thing happen to me. I thought my PS pump was going out becasue the steering wheel was getting heavier and heavier to turn, especially when i was parked. I did a PS fluid flush and it totally fixed it. I only had the change the fluid, not the pump which save me alot of money.
__________________
myksbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by myksbmw View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. I thought my PS pump was going out becasue the steering wheel was getting heavier and heavier to turn, especially when i was parked. I did a PS fluid flush and it totally fixed it. I only had the change the fluid, not the pump which save me alot of money.
I am suprised! I will try to change the fluid! were is the DIY ?
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Nothing wrong with the pump. Maybe there's a blockage in the system preventing the fluid from getting to the pump. The blockage may not go away even if you change the fluid.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Nothing wrong with the pump. Maybe there's a blockage in the system preventing the fluid from getting to the pump. The blockage may not go away even if you change the fluid.
This sound more truth !
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
goualon69
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2001 330xi
I have changed oil with synthetic oil, and the problem still exist, I need a new pump, but its 800$CAN at the dealer! Were can I buy it online?
__________________
Excuse my misunderstanding writing, because I am French speaker! H&R sport springs, clears lenses
goualon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
If you are going to change the pump, you might as well practice on your existing one by taking it off and cleaning it. If the problem gets fixed that way, you save yourself some money. If the problem isn't fixed, at least now you know how to put on a new pump. If there is a blockage outside of the pump, changing the pump will do you no good.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
RichReg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67
My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
Goingnuts;
I am having the same symptoms as goualon69 on my 323Ci....loud noise when turning, but
no leaks anywhere, and I am about to order a new pump.
What kind of possible 'blockage' are we talking about here?
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,936
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
You could Auto-Rx it them change to a fluid such as Redline D4ATF
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
sataraid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallatin, TN
Posts: 292
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I had this problem. I changed the pump a few weeks back everything is ok now. I also took the apart the pump. I wanted to see what the problem would be. I will post some pics of the pump apart if anyone is interested.
sataraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
Goingnuts;
I am having the same symptoms as goualon69 on my 323Ci....loud noise when turning, but
no leaks anywhere, and I am about to order a new pump.
What kind of possible 'blockage' are we talking about here?
The pump circulates the fluid through some hoses. If there's a partial blockage in the circuit, the pump doesn't get enough fluid back quickly enough and will start making noises. The pump only makes the noises when it isn't fed enough fluid.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #19
RichReg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67
My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
Ahhh.....I see.
According to RealOem there is a pressure hose assembly for this pump as well as a return pipe.
I assume these 2 are the only places where a 'blockage' might occur?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=32&fg=20

In summary, I would guess that if my mechanic does a pressure test on the pump he should
be able to tell if I need a new pump or just a new hose, right?

Thanks much for your insight.
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Well, the fluid circuit comprises more than just the hoses. What you really need is the equivalent of the bathroom plunger. Then you could give the plumbing a good old going over. Rigorous use of the steering wheel could also possibly dislodge anything - oil sludge, gunk, whatever - causing the blockage.

Not long ago, someone posted a PS problem, and after a few days the problem was fixed by itself.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use